I made an important decision today mom.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
& I think it's a really good choice, kt told me as she ran into the house from the school bus.

You know the number of things that can go through your mind - you're half listening while you get afternoon medications & a snack out.

Well, kt's decision stopped me dead in my tracks. "I'm not going to have sex until I get married....or I'm 18".

Well, okay then. :hammer: (I have another 5 years at best to prep for this is, what's going through my head.)

"kt, that is a wonderfully brave choice on your part - you should be proud of yourself." (I'm thinking I'm too old to become a parent to a grandchild.)

"Thank you for sharing this with me. (Praying that she is dead serious about this.)

Our babies are just too young to be considering sex yet alone having to make a promise to abstain until they marry.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I have a easy child that claims she isn't going to either. She is slightly older.

She says yesterday when we are getting a flat fixed on the car something to this effect. Except it was a quiet convo between us when she says "well I am still a virgin". husband's head popped up having been oblivious to all else we had talked about and said "WHAT"

Don't ya love when they come up with that stuff.

Hope she sticks with it. It is a prayer I say regularly myself about not wanting to have grandkids yet.

Beth

SnowAngel

If I had it my way mine would be at least 25. Congrats on her sharing that with you. Not many teens do. My oldest son is to scared to have that kind of relationship, not because of teen pregnancy but the STD's that aren't cureable.

I have a yearly talk about the long term effects of STD's and how you get them. My son once said you dont need to talk to M (oldest daughter) because she is gay. Well I explained that didn't mean anything,it happens to anybody.

Here's to setting a wonderful goal! :smile:

I think it is fantastic that she feels she wants to wait, and that she felt she wanted to share it with you.

I also hope that as she gets older, she sticks with it.

Marguerite

12 & 13 is not too young - I remember talking about this with my friends when we were 13. So times in this seem to be no different.

It's good she's thinking about it, although it does come as a shock. if she were not thinking about it, she could get caught unawares and find herself in deep water unprepared.

Marg

SprinkleMeLola

Schools are starting sex ed around her age, so it only comes as a shock to us parents who think our kids grow too quickly.

It's an awesome thing for her, and speaks volumes about your relationship (that she would tell you).

Star*

call 911........call 911
My first reaction when I saw the commercial with children talking about s-e-x at a young age (I think 7-8-9 years old) was

:smile:

It's sure a different world we live in isn't it.

To have someone breeze by you, drop the bookbag, say it and keep running? I would have been :nonono: for sure.

Abstinence makes the heat grow hotter.....NO dang it I mean Abstinence makes the heart grown FONDER......yes....that's it.

:bag:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm glad she came to this decision, and I think it's wonderful she decided to share it with you.

From ages 12-14 Nichole thought sex as a teen was a stupid thing to do with the risk of STDs and pregnancy. From ages 12-16 Nichole was NEVER going to have children.

But then she met b/f jerko and we know the rest of that story. :thumbsdown:

It's good, though that kt isn't in any hurry. I hope it stays that way.

Hugs

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks ladies - it's was a somewhat shocking statement. I know I'm old fashioned in that I think 13 is way too young to be concerned over sex & such things.

How stupid of me, given kt's hx? I want to believe that one thing, while I know the reality is much much different.

I'm proud of kt. She is learning at day treatment (& being taught at home, much to husband's chagrin, the dangers of std's, the need to use condoms, etc, etc, etc,). husband absolutely hates hearing me say that if you & your boyfriend are ready to have sex, you best be ready to have a baby along with all the joys & challenges a child can bring. Especially to one of your age.

We don't spend a great deal of time discussing this - mostly when kt brings it up. She's becoming more & more aware of her developing body as are the boys in her classes.

One of kt's life skills lessons next week will be dressing fashionably & modestly at the same time. Quite the challenge given the media's take on things.

Again, thank you. kt is going to do me proud.