I may never drive my car again

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
husband and I picked easy child up from a friend earlier. As we were driving home she says to husband I need to tell you something once we are home. Without mom around. :crazy:

So we actually stopped at a store. Well I went in and then they came in. As we went back to the car husband called me over to the back seat on his side and pointed to the window.

There was a dead snake. :faint: :nonono: :nonono:

I almost didn't get back in to go home. I can't tell you how awful this is. This is my car. I amnot supposed to have snakes in it. I have seen the movies I know what snakes can do in a car. All the while husband and easy child are making fun of me as neither one of them are afraid of them. Ugh. It is gone now but how do I know there are no more hiding in there somewhere.

I want a new car. NOW!!!! And we have a year left to pay on this one.

Beth

F

flutterbee

I know how it is with those phobias. Even though you tell yourself that this was a fluke...a renegade snake *snort*...you're always going to be looking all around and up and down anytime you're in the car. I do the same thing with spiders.

Would having it checked by a mechanic to make sure there are no more stow-aways make you feel any better?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well unfortunately husband is our mechanic. I say unfortunately in the respect he would just tease me about it. It just creeps me out.

I am willing to bet I know how it got there but can not be sure. Of course I am guessing it is because husband goes out sets stuff on the ground then puts it in the car. Well ANYTHING could climb into his stuff and then bam a stowaway. But I don't know that that is what happened. Of course it didn't stop me from giving husband a piece of my mind about it. He just kept laughing. And easy child behind me kept laughing.

Darn them anyhow.

Beth

TerryJ2

OMG ... well, at least they tried to get you out of there and not freak you out. That would have weirded me out, too, and I'm sort of okay with-snakes. It's just that they do not, do NOT belong in the car!
I can imagine how husband and easy child thought it was hilarious. My husband would do the same thing.

My new take on snakes came when the neighbor accidentally ran his riding mower over a black rat snake and the thing lived, headless, for about an hr. I actually felt sorry for it! It made me much less scared because they do what they do out of instinct and not out of malice. Back then, easy child was about 7 and she's so sweet, she made all the neighborhood boys leave it alone and we put flowers on top of it.

She tried to get me to save a female turkey buzzard once, during mating season... birds can be so cruel... female ducks are often killed during mating season. But this poor thing was SO unnattractive, and I wasn't sure if the 5,342,672 male turkey buzzards looking down at us from the pine tree would try to follow us into the house. So we left her out there, to breed or to die.

Good luck with-your car. I'm sure you'll be fine in a couple days.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You're in Iowa right? Unless you are having just an extraordinarily warm Fall that snake was planted there. By now most snakes are underground or hibernating. Snakes are cold blooded, they can't 'warm' themselves up by crawling faster or looking for a food source. In other words it would NOT have crawled into your car 'last night' looking for warmth. It's also unlikely at this time of the year in Iowa that one would have come out to sun itself and thought 'OH there is Beth's car - I bet that is warmer than where I am now - I shall slither over there for the winter." NOT.

So that means one of two things - either it was planted there or it was already hibernating in your car and the heat from the heater aroused it out of hibernation and someone stomped on it in your car to kill it - in which case - they probably would have messed THEIR pants, talked about killing something and, would have removed it.

I think I smell a prankster. Snakes do not survive in frost and cold. Not anywhere on the earth - so fear not. There are no more snakes in the car.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS>>>>:>-<

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Having my own little phobias..... well, let's just say I understand how you feel. :surprise:

I'd be going over the car with a fine tooth comb every time I got in it.

One of mine is the house catching on fire. husband and the kids used to think it great fun to tease me over it. grrr Oh, that and June Bugs. Okay, so they give me a case of the heebie jeebies. Roaches that can FLY. Ok, so they aren't roaches, but they're from the same family and that's close enough for me.

(((hugs)))

donna723

Eeeeewwwww!

Was the snake actually ALIVE when you were driving down the road or was it already dead? Either way, they can never be too dead to suit me, if you know what I mean!

I've completely freaked before to see a spider crawl off and disappear into my dashboard when I'm driving! If that had been a snake, I'd be pulled off on the side of the interstate, 100 feet from the car, screaming my head off!

F

flutterbee

OMG, Lisa, you and I have the same fears!

I often drive home and am peaking around the corner to see if my house is still standing. I've never had a fire in any home, but it's like I expect it to happen. And Junebugs...omg...worse than spiders. And those roaches that can fly are HUGE in the south and almost impossible to kill. *shiver* I cut one in half with ex's boot and, I kid you not, the front half WALKED OFF! Talk about lots of screaming and running.... The only reason I was able to get close enough to it to try to squish it is because I was home alone with easy child who was about 2 and we had about 6 of them get in the house. I was out of my mind with fear.

Wiped Out

Staff member
:surprise:Yikes! I freak at out at bugs in the car! I don't know what I would do with a snake :faint:

trinityroyal

Beth, I can completely understand how you feel. I am terrified of snakes, to the point of being totally paralyzed. I am impressed that you got back in the car, because I don't think I'd have been able to.

A couple of years ago, on a beautiful sunny spring day, a little garter snake popped its head out of the bushes near my front door as I was walking along the path to the house...I screamed and ran away. After hiding around the corner for about 15 minutes, I phoned husband from the driveway and asked him to come outside and make the snake leave, so that I could go in the house. Sigh...

Suz and Star have a good point though. At this time of year, with the cold weather...hmmmmm

Trinity

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh it was very dead. It had started to crawl out of another part of the car. I don't get in the back so I have no idea how long it had been dead in there. Or if it had been hiding in it and like star said warmed up.

I also agree they can't get dead enough. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

I pity you and the flying roaches.

At an apartment complex we lived in I was sitting outside with neighbors one evening and out of nowhere this (I kid you not) ENORMOUS flying roach lands on neighbors wife. She reacted so badly that I thought she was having a seizure cuz I didn't see it til her husband went to kill the thing.

:surprise: :faint:

Thanks to my cat Willie I can now sit in the dark on my front porch in the warm weather. Turns out Willie loves to hunt June bugs as much as I loath them. So I can sit there in realitive peace knowing that any bug that hits the porch won't live longer than it takes him to catch it. (about 30 secs) :rofl:

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Those icky huge roach things stalked me when I lived in GA. Those were darn scary. I used to smoke outside and they would come after you when you weren't looking.

Beth

KFld

OMG!! You would never get me back in the car. I wouldn't even go in the basement of my home before I moved out last month because there were mice down there.