I need a little inspiration, please

tiredmommy

We're considering putting in a small pond and waterfall in the back yard in memory of husband's mother. I was hoping I could get some design tips and inspiration as we'll be doing the work ourselves. Nothing crazy... it will need to fit between our two pine trees on the eastern side of our yard between the fence and Duckie's playset (a good 6 or 7 feet wide and up to 12 feet out into the yard so as not to interfere with the playset).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, how about a nice cobblestone one that would keep Koi fish with a cute little bridge? I've always wanted a little pond like that. Maybe someday. :)

tiredmommy

Well, Duckie has already decided against koi after she saw a neighbor's cat "fishing" in another neighbors pond....

klmno

You probably are already aware but just in case, I think they sell kits for the actual pool that come in different sizes and then you can create the surrounding area in your own unique design. A bench, a fountain, a memory stone, flowers and/or a small tree are all things that can be incorporated in the design if you choose.

I think it's a great idea and very thoughtful of you!

Fran

Former desparate mom
TM, we did a stream and pond with some small water falls made by bigger flat stone a little over 2 yrs ago. If I had to do it over, I would make sure the sides are steeper so the liner won't have run off when the water is deeper. I didn't want to have too deep of a pond since I worry about small children but in the south, it means warm water. I should have made the pond part deeper so that the water doesn't get so warm. I could have lined it with more stones so there is no drowning risk but the hollow with liner would have been deeper. If you have some questions, you can message me. I think I have some photo's on my fb page.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Do am image search for backyard ponds on google. You will get a lot of ideas. I agree that that pines may actually become a pain in terms of keeping it clean. And I've eyed the kits at home depot forever! I would love to have a little pond and water garden! Our neighbor has one and they do keep the koi in it, year round, even when it freezes, which I thought was kind of creepy. Have fun, it's a very thoughtful thing to do. I love the idea!

tiredmommy

The reason for between the trees is that we'll have either pine needles or leaves... may as well go for what will be prettiest. I'll take a look at the sourses listed (including Fran's FB page, lol!).