I need a quick food idea...

tiredmommy

My friend's father died yesterday and I'd like to send a dish over to the house. Another friend has already made goulash. Please post some ideas and recipes. Help!

DDD

I'd probably due a fresh vegetable tray with a tasty dip. It's easy and the family probably would be more apt to eat something if it is healthful and colorful. Good luck DDD

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
A day or two after my dad died, someone brought a roast beef, with potatoes and carrots, cooked and ready to eat. For whatever reason, that was the one we were all really thankful for. I think we were all tired of ham and lunchmeat by then and it was a real meal without having to do much.

But frankly, anything, I'm sure, would be appreciated. I know it was for us. Even the ham.

SRL

I like to take this soup in the winter--even kids who usually don't like soup like it. If I have time I make homemade rolls but Cresent Rolls or a crusty loaf of bread work great.

Cheeseburger Soup

2 tablespoons onion, chopped
½ cup shredded carrots (I pulverize in food processor)
½ cup diced celery (optional)
½ teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 cups chicken broth (I use bouillon)
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
½ pound hamburger, browned & drained
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
10 ounces processed American cheese, torn into pieces
1 ½ cups milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup sour cream (optional)

Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about ten minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes just start to get tender. While soup is simmering, tear or cube cheese into smaller pieces and set aside. Pour milk into a bowl and whisk in flour, stirring to remove any lumps. When simmering is complete, stir flour-milk mixture into soup. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and pepper, stirring frequently until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.

Note: I usually double this recipe so we have leftovers. I also often wing it on the amounts of carrots, potatoes and cheese.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Soups, chili (mine is bland enough that you could take it anywhere. All it would need is more chili added to it for taste), tuna casserole...umm... all kinds of one pot meals. Oh! Here's one I like to make here but is pretty quick. You may want to double the recipe if there are a lot of people eating from this.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
1/3 cup parmesean cheese (like the kind you put on your speghetti)
1/3 cup milk
1 can Campbells Cream o'Chicken soup
3 cups (measured dry) noodles

Cube and brown chicken in light oil in large skillet. Cook and drain noodles in separate pan. When chicken is nicely browned (and partially cooked through), add milk, parmesean cheese, soup and noodles to the chicken and mix well. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally till chicken is cooked through. Adjust milk if different thickness is desired and season to taste.

For chili, I have a pretty simple recipe

Brown and drain about 2 lbs of ground beef. Cook with onion if you want....I use the dried onion flakes. Drain beef and add a large can of tomato juice (64 oz??? The big cans like you would buy to drink), a can of drained kidney beans, more onion if desired, black pepper and chili powder to taste and a handful or two of macaroni if desired. Simmer till seasonings are well disbursed or macaroni is done. Actually....I add the chili powder...simmer for a bit and then give the chili a good sniff. If it still smells like tomato juice to me, I add more chili powder and simmer some more. It's done to me when I can smell the chili powder but it doesn't smell hot....if that makes sense. This way, there's some flavor for weenies like me who don't like hot stuff and if others want it hotter, they can add chili powder on their own. Also, husband prefers that I don't use the entire can of tomato juice as he likes his chili a bit thicker. I prefer mine thinner as I like plenty of juice to soak into crackers. You can also easily double this to make a decent size pot. This recipe will make about 4-5 bowls depending on the size.

Andy

Tater Tot Hotdish

In a pan layer:

1 lb cooked hamburger (I usually do about 1 1/2 lb)
1 can drained corn
Tater Tots (I like the onion flavored but any will do)

Pour over the top one can of cream of chicken or potatoe soup (I usually mix it with about 1/2 can milk to help spread)

The vegetable and soup can be changed to whatever you like. I always make the above version.

Cook 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

SRL

I just bumped into this lower fat turkey meatloaf recipe in my files and remembered how "comforty" it is. It goes together quickly and I often will toss some sweet potatoes into the oven while it's cooking and serve those with butter and brown sugar.

Turkey Meat Loaf

1 pound ground turkey
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/ 4 cup applesauce
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
scant 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
scant 1/8 teaspoon sage
1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 T finely chopped onion, or to taste

Mix together well (it will be soft) and shape into oval loaf.

Combine 1/3 cup catsup and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar and spoon over loaf. Cover and bake at 350 degrees until done.

donna723

Years ago when my dad died and we had out of state relatives come in for the funeral, a neighbor lady brought us two beautifully roasted chickens and a big bowl of some kind of seasoned rice. Not too expensive and not too much trouble to make and it was wonderful! That was a long time ago and I've tried to recreate that rice ever since ... and never have gotten it quite right. You could tell it was made with chicken broth instead of water and it had little slices of green onion in it but never could figure out the rest.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In Eastern European Jewish tradition, the family goes to one house right after the burial to eat and remember the departed.

One of our traditions is to serve a "milchig/pareva" meal. This means dairy and neutral foods (Pareva foods can be eaten with both meat and dairy). It avoids any hassles with those who observe the dietary laws and those who don't.

If you have a good deli near you, you can have a plate made up with various types of smoked and pickled fish and cheese and olives and the like. All you need to do is to buy some good dark rye and some bagels to go along with it.

Our plates usually include lox (cold smoked salmon), smoked and pickled herring, smoked sturgeon, sable, etc. They aren't cheap, but they are filling and there are always leftovers to take home.

Another thing might be to hit a similar deli and get a cold-cut plate with real corned beef and pastrami, cheese, and the same sorts of side dishes. We would usually have wine and coffee and tea (many Ashkenazi Jews drink tea in preference to coffee as it first came in along the Great Silk Road ages ago).

I think that if you get some sort of "protein" tray and add on breads, a veggie and fruit plate, you should pretty well be covered.

If you have an idea about the recipients freezer space, you could also make hearty soups and freeze them in meal sized packages. Chili works well for this as it freezes very well and actually tastes better for it.