I need any & all good vibes, re: easy child's grad party; could be cataclysmic. Just my luck!

S

Signorina

So, easy child 17 - about to be 18 - has been dating a NICE girl for 3 years. Parents are divorced since she was 5 (and her sis was 3), dad has primary custody and her mom moved about 45 minutes away from them and sees the girls every other weekend. Odd but whatever (fill in the blanks). Nice parents, i have met her dad and her mom numerous times - they've been divorced for 13 years and seem to do OK (but cool) at school celebrations, etc.

easy child knows both the mom and step dad and the bio/custodial dad very well. He often goes to step dad and mom's house to pick up his girlfriend or attend family functions during "mom's" weekend. He likes them. Cut to "prom picture party" May 2012. I tell easy child that if his girlfriend & her mom & step dad want a "family picture", I would be happy to take it. easy child responds "her dad and her step dad have never met. If (girlfriend's bio dad) met (girlfriend's step dad), he (bio dad) would probably punch his (step dad) lights out... girlfriend's step dad won't be at the picture party..." And he was not, so no issues!

On sat, we attended his girlfriend's grad party at her mom/sdad's house and had a lovely time. It was the first time WE met the sdad. Nice guy, easy child likes him. Yet, easy child especially adores his girlfriend's bio/custodial dad (who has primary custody and whom he knows well) who is also a teacher at easy child's HS and his former sport coach.

So, I am guessing that their was some sort of adultery involved and the girlfriend's mom left bio dad for step dad. Seems to make sense.

So, PC17 is having his 18th birthday party/grad party on Saturday. girlfriend's parents have been divorced for 13+ years I ask easy child "who should we invite?". He said "invite both sets, they will work it out..."

Guess what? Both Bio/custodial dad and the Step Dad are coming...meeting for the FIRST time...HERE..and easy child is worried there will be trouble...just my luck...as if I needed ONE more thing on my plate...

EEP

keista

Oh can I come? LMAO! I would love to see this unfold. Although I am truly sorry this is going to happen at your home at a party you are hosting. But you never know, it might work out well.

InsaneCdn

Actually... sometimes people in long-term "tough" situations like this, actually do better when the whole thing is somebody else's "party". Each of them knows easy child well, and knows that it wouldn't be fair to expect easy child to go picking between them... and, if perchance some day there were to be a wedding, it would be the same problem (times some astronomical multiplier). So, maybe in fact there will NOT be any dust-up at all.

buddy

yikes....well....after all this time, hoping it is all talk, not true punching out.

Let us know how the celebration went! Have a wonderful time!!!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
First congratulations to easy child!

Sending along positive peaceful juju...but I think it will go fine. They will likely sit apart from one another, make an appearance and then split. Hugs!

Congratualtions easy child! Do they each know the other is going? You won't have to worrry about the biodad punching anyone because he's a teacher. He could lose his job if he gets arrested. I think everything will go well.

Calamity Jane

Oh Boy! As long as each of them knows the others were invited and accepted, it should be awkward, but OK. Maybe you should hire an undercover bouncer for the evening??!!
It's just odd that they wouldn't take a picture together, but they will all be together for a party? Sounds like they each don't know the others are coming! This could be an "I Love Lucy" moment.

DDD

I'm betting it will be OK. Maybe, lol, not AOK....but OK. They are adults and if they are uncomfortable they'll be able to find the exit. fingers crossed. DDD

trinityroyal

Sig, maybe you should have the party as a Renaissance Theme event, and give the guys some chain mail, helmets and swords. They can duke it out in the back yard for the entertainment of all the other guests. :sword::warrior::sissyfight:

(just being silly, I promise)

I agree with the others that the men will most likely behave themselves at a graduation party at someone else's house. I think everything will be fine.

Still, I can't help but remember this episode of Boston Legal, where two guys from the law firm showed up at the firm party wearing the same outfit, and ended up having a fist fight:

Picture14-2.png
Still, I

DDD

by the way, based on my experience it is usually the 2nd spouses that worry about pictures etc. Most of the time the bio parents roll with the flow for the sake of the children. I'll be waiting for an update. DDD