I need good supportive thoughts for...

tiredmommy

my big brother. He's going to pick up the patch today and try to quit smoking asap. He'll also talk to his psychiatrist about adjusting his AD to help with this. This is big because both of our parents died from smoking-related diseases. Plus, my niece has upped the ante by agreeing to quit IF he's successful. So there's an awful lot at stake here.

So, please... send some good, successful thoughts his way....

Star*

call 911........call 911
DEAR HEAVENLY FATHER.....

I PRAY THAT EVERY SINGLE TIME....TM'S BROTHER EVEN THINKS ABOUT PUTTING HIS LIPS ON A CIGARETTE.....THE OVERWHELMING SCENT OF DOG TURD....FILLS HIS NASAL PASSAGES and IS DISTRIBUTED EQUALLY OVER HIS TASTE BUDS CAUSING HIM TO THROW THE VILE THING TO THE GROUND EACH TIME AND FOREVER GIVE UP HIS FOUL HABIT. AMEN.

Too strong? 'cause that's what was said over me and ever single time I picked up a cigarette....that's what happened.' NO JOKE. The smell was so awful I couldn't even tell you what it FELT like it tasted like.

So please by ALL means.....tell your bro - THIS IS MY prayer and wish for him. NO JOKE.:peaceful:

DammitJanet

Sending my prayers. It is very hard. TM...if you have the spare funds or if you think it might help, there is something out there called the ecigarette that does come in either reduced nicotine or even no nicotine (I think Linda has one) and it gives those of us that crave that hand to mouth thing that fix. My son just got one and I have ordered one. Maybe you could look into one for him. It charges on the computer...lol. Or they have a car charger.

smallworld

TM, as you know, my mom is currently ill with lung cancer (she smoked, too) so I share this family history with you. I'm sending lots of strength and perseverance to your brother. I hope he's successful. Please keep us updated.

Hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Saying a prayer for him.

The patches did nothing for me. Just made me want a cig more than if I'd been doing it cold turkey. Make sure he rotates where he puts the patch on to reduce the chances of allergic reaction to the adhesive. I'm also allergic to the adhesive and can't use the darn things.

I will say that if he can afford chantix it may double his chances for success. But best to speak with his psychiatrist about any possible medication interactions ect though.

DDD

Supportive thoughts coming your family's way via cyberspace. It is not an easy goal to attain but if "between his ears" he is determined it can be done. When I quit ten or twelve years ago I had success with that awful tasting nicorette gum. It helped me to be able to put something in my mouth when the urge hit. I started with half a piece (as needed) and it supported my mindset goal. I fell off the wagon three months ago, quit after one month and then crashed off the wagon in December. I'm hoping to get fully motivated before long to stop for good again. Best of luck to your bro. DDD

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sending positive thoughts that your brother can quit. Yes, Janet, I do have that cigarette thingy - it really does help to lower my smoking. My doctors hate it because it's used like a real cigarette - don't care, it looks silly when I'm sucking on a carrot. ;)

TM, prayers & good luck to brother.

donna723

I wish him luck! If he's already on day four, he's doing GREAT!!! He should be over the worst of the physical symptoms by now, or nearly over it.

I don't know about the patches, never knew anyone who used them. But my daughter and sister in law managed to quit for quite a while using Chantix. They both had smoked for a long, long time. Neither one smoked for about six months and they only 'fell off the wagon' during an extremely stressful time they went through when sister in law's mom was killed in an accident. But even after they started back, they've kept it to just a few a day which is a huge improvement over how much they used to smoke. They're about ready to try again.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good luck to your brother. It's the best thing he can do for himself and his daughter. Even if he falls off the wagon, he can get back up and keep going. It's such a battle and requires courage.