buddy

Others, even family just think if we were stricter and more rigid with her that she would begin to "follow the rules" and "snap out of it". Huh!! I never thought of that. Sometimes I want to say to them "here you take her for awhile and see if you can do better." Because if you can then please tell me how to do it!

LOL, story of my life.

and then there are those who see him on his good days and when I am being proactive, seeing the little signs that things maybe wll escalate (I dont wait till they do) I limit things, supervise, stop a game, whatever.... and then I am the opposite... a mom who is too strict and wont give him a chance.

buddy

I have told everyone that she has NEVER and I really mean never done anything she has been told the first time it was asked of her. And if you ask again you get quit nagging me. .

This was a difference that psychiatric hospital and Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers have noticed in Q... I have forever too but....

Yes he has times when he says no and means no, or refuses... but typically when you give him a direction (and people forget he can't follow directions for memory and language impairment reasons) he will say no....always! but he will be doing the task while he is saying no. I suspect, and others have wondered too....that he is "buying time " to process what was said and no is safer than yes in most cases, in case it is something he will really hate to do. He has said no so fast sometimes and then when I say OK, then I will give your cousin this (toy, food, whatever) and then he says, "wait, what??? what did you say??"

sorry, not the point of the thread, but it just hit me when I read this......I think that is a clear reason why opposition is such a symptom name, not a good diagnosis. It can be for so many underlying reasons.

BusynMember

I'm going to go back to asking if you're sure it's not drugs making things worse. At her age, it is always a possibility. My daughter managed to use drugs even when she was homeschooled and (I thought) rarely out of the house. Sure, it could be a lot of things and maybe it is, but for a teenager it is never a good idea to dismiss drug or alcohol use. We had no idea our daughter was using drugs. She was diagnosed with bipolar (she doesn't have it) and put on medications and taken to a psychologist until she was finally busted for using pot (turned out she had been using a lot more). It is a common thing for an unstable teen to do and it only makes things worse. Some kids abuse over the counter medications or their own medications, especially if they take stimulants. Anything, it seems, for them to feel better! My daughter slept at odd hours, especially during the day, and fell asleep at school. She told us she had insomnia and didn't sleep well at night and we believed it. She was quite violent (often out of the blue) when she used drugs and we found knives under her mattress. She put her hand through a window once and pulled a knife on herself. It wasn't pretty.

Not saying that this is "IT" for YOUR child, but it could be happening...it happened right under our noses and we didn't take it seriously until she was much worse.

Good luck finding out the problem and keep us all posted. We do care.

TerryJ2

I hear you! {{hugs}}
I agree, get a new psychiatrist. And since you're stuck with-the next appointment (I assume), write down what you want to say and make sure that you say it. "The Prozac is not working. Things are much worse. difficult child sleeps all the time and is angry much of the time. She needs a change. NOW."
No discussion. Seriously. The dr will try to talk you into a cpl more mo's. We had a dr like that. I did not like her. We switched and I am so much happier.
No dr will switch in an instant, but this sounds like your dr isn't listening at all.
If your daughter won't go, go alone. Make something happen.

StressedM0mma

Thank you all for telling me that following my gut is the right thing. I am keeping a journal of her behaviors so that I can tell the psychiatrist what she is doing. I even asked difficult child if she is feeling any different with the medication increase, and she said no. (she was having a good day the day I asked.) So, I asked her why she thought she was doing better that day, and the day before. Her answer was because I got to sleep. She slept for 16+ hours both of the 2 previous days. That can not be normal.