I need to find a Big Piggy Bank or at least a Big Piggy. Any suggestions?

DDD

Our big October fundraising event is closing in and I want a cheap Big Piggy that preferably can be filled with gift certificates for our raffle. If it's plastic that's fine. If we have to cut a hole in the bottom that's fine. Our raffle is called the "Pig Out Basket" and includes restaurant gift certificates. We've always just used a decorated basket but I want a Pink Pig this year. Can't find one.

Worse comes to worse I guess it could be paper mache but good grief I don't want to do a crafts project. LOL I'm just not the type! Any ideas? DDD

How about going to a party goods store, maybe they have a pig pinata, or can order one for you. Maybe you can just pick up any animal there, paint the thing pink, first glue a dixie cup on it for the nose...there, anything can be a pig once you paint it pink. Pick the brains of the party goods store workers, maybe they have suggestions.

Mattsmom277

I've seen plastic ones here at our dollar store that are fairly large but perhaps not for your purposes if a lot of certificates are going in them. I think a pinata is a good idea, it was my first thought and I then I saw it was the idea in the first response to your thread. Perhaps if you pick a non-chain store, in other words a privately owned small shop, they might give a reduced price or donate one depending what the raffle is raising money for. Especially if you hang a tag on the pinata saying something about it being donated by XYZ with their address etc. Or just their business card or something.

DDD

I'm so lucky to have such a smart family. Hadn't thought about asking for a "piggy" donation. Also hadn't given a thought to a pinata......weird that I didn't think of that because they are quite popular in Florida. I'm back on track thanks to you guys. Thanks. DDD

H

HaoZi

Would a local art school class (like elementary) make a paper mache piggy pinata for you if you provided the materials?

DDD

School just started this week so I wouldn't dare to ask, lol. The "settling in" period I remember very well. At another time of year, however, that would be great idea. DDD

JJJ

Our local high school requires each student to do 20 hours of community service before they can graduate. Maybe an art student from your local hs is looking for a community service project and can make a huge piggy?

DammitJanet

What is that store...The Party Store or something like that? Maybe Party Central? Anyway...its a chain party store and I would imagine you would have them in a city close to you. Check there.

H

HaoZi

How soon do you need the piggy? If you're going to hit up art students (or their teacher) beginning of the year is the best time. With the HS students if you wait even a few days too long they'll already have a project planned for themselves and won't have time for it.

ETA: What about daycares? Those go year round and with adult help even preschoolers can put strips on a balloon to make a paper mache.

Marguerite

I don't know what your drink bottles are like, but over here we can get 3 and 4 litre juice bottles in PET. They are rectangular but with rounded sides. The lid can become a pig's muzzle and you can cut a hole in the top to put your hand in and out. Paint the whole thing pink, paint on eyes etc. Stick on some feet (felt ones would work). A curly pipe cleaner tail. it would give you a piggy bank that's about 18" long and 10" high.

I've made a pig pinata out of a juice bottle this way. I cut it round the middle and then used a cardboard tube to slide the two plastic pieces back together with. I then covered it with pink paper. The kids had to aim for the cardboard bit in the middle (where they knew it to be, you couldn't see it) to separate it again.

Marg

Marg's Man

On a similar theme - can you get 'bottled water' in the really big ten to fifteen litre (I'm guessing that would be 2 to 3 gallon) bottles?

A bigger bottle without a sticky residue to clean out