I passed on the Xmas Tree and ornaments today.

DammitJanet

It feels like something has been passed over of great value even though it was only a relatively cheap pre-lit Xmas Tree and a box of discount ornaments that we had collected over the years. Some of them were the ones Cory had made us when he was in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I wonder if he will remember what those are and put them on the tree. I hope so. They are origami birds. I also had Keyana's first Stocking in there. Baby's first stocking...2006. Its pink. He couldnt believe I had kept up with it considering the state of my house.

buddy

going through the ornaments is one of my favorite things. I read your title wrong.... I thought you turned down the ornaments....I didn't get it, but it is late so??? (can I please use that excuse not a more permanent cognitive issue???) Anyway, I have all my childhood ornaments. When I take them out I have memories flood into me. I can even smell things. Every year I buy Q an ornament and I buy one for our family together. He LOVES ornaments. SOmetimes they are just little craft store dollar things that I add our name and year to. Just for the memory...

I hope he loves them too.

DammitJanet

oh no....we decided this year that we would hand over our tree to Cory because we felt we would most likely never have a full sized tree in the house anymore. Most likely there will never be anymore family Xmas's at our house. If Keyana is here, they will be at Cory's house. If Jamie happens to be down at Xmas itself, it will be at Cory's. If its before Xmas like this year, we just gave the kids their toys without even wrapping them. If we go up there, its another thing. They will have their tree.

I am glad to pass on the ornaments if Cory uses them. I will talk to him to make sure he realizes it what he has.

Lothlorien

I was confused when I read the title and then read your post too. I thought you passed up rather than passed on. That's really nice that you gave them to him. I'm sure he will greatly appreciate it. I'm very sentimental that way. I have a bunch of cheap and junky ornaments that were my grandmothers. Tho I only put a few on the tree now, I don't want to give them up. Of course, husband is telling me there are all these crappy ornaments and I need to go through them to get rid of and every year I need to remind him that they were my grandmother's and I can't toss them out.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Took me a while before I realized what you were saying as well. Jeez, Janet, can you phrase things better next time? Hahahaha.

Big hugs, it's gotta be hard to hand over all those keepsakes in the hopes that the receiver will cherish them as much as you have. I have some things in my Christmas collection that I've passed onto difficult child without hesitation because she's a Christmas fanatic. easy child, on the other hand, not so much, so I hesitate with her.

I'm sure Cory will remember and cherish those special items! But, to be sure, tell him so.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's hard to pass stuff down to the next generation. But I think it's a very special thing to do.

easy child and Nichole have all their ornaments from their childhood now. Nichole and easy child also have the few special ones I bought for the grandkids when I had the money to do so. I know that they spent years looking forward to having their ornaments on their own trees. And it's nice when I look at their trees and see them there.

I prefer my little tree with it's lights already in place that all I have to do is hang some ornaments on it and it's beautiful and done and doesn't take up half a room. I think last year was probably the last time I'll do a normal size tree, and I'm pretty darn certain after seeing prices this year it will be the last year I buy a real one. Even after giving the girls their ornaments and some of mother in law's........I still have a TON left over that were both mine and mother in law's.

Xmas will be here probably for years to come, but I still just don't see a reason behind a huge tree for just me and Travis.

P

PatriotsGirl

I am thinking about giving my tree away, but I will hold onto the ornaments a while longer. ;)

We hated all of the decorations taking over the place and since there is really no "Christmas" this year, I saw no need to go all out. I bought a mini live tree, put lights on it and decorated it and it looks beautiful. It is on a plant stand so I can move it around if I had to and it will be planted in the year when we are done. :) I love it and see no reason to go back to a big tree. At least not at this point in time...

easy child plans to sleep in and difficult child will be with her boyfriend. So far the plan is for easy child and I to pick up difficult child the morning after Christmas to hit all the sales at the mall. That will be their Christmas. I even told husband that I would rather not buy for each other this year, neither. I would rather have that money so I can get what I want when I am out shopping with the kids. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Whew, I was all ready to hear that you decided not to celebrate at all this year... After all the shopping I've been hearing about... I'm glad I was wrong!

I have some ornaments from my childhood, and others. Some - YAY - some I adore. The kids decide what goes on the tree, with a few exceptions. husband's special "Support our troops" ornament, my angels... You get the idea.

And someday, I'll have all of Mom's, too... Hmm, I think this year I'm going to start weeding out the "YAY" ornaments...

DDD

We always had a "real" tree and a family hodge podge of decorations. The special ones from the 1940's were placed at the top so little hands couldn't reach them, the "made in school" ones went in the middle section and "non breakable tacky" ones that were bought almost fifty years ago go at the bottom. I always laugh because the adult children have sophisticated trees that are usually one color. Boring!
Now I am in the process of trying to figure out how to "divy up" the ornaments to pass on. Haven't figured it out yet, lol. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

I am sooo not into those sophisticated trees. My mom used to do that on us all the time. blech Then she'd use the same boring garland and balls around the house......so it was everywhere you looked. Double blech. Didn't help that that was the brunt of our decor either because that is all you had to look at. Never forget the year she did the silver fake xmas tree. OMG that went over like a lead balloon, we hated the sight of it and continuously let her know it until the day it came down. She sold it in the yard sale the next summer. lol

My current tree "theme" is sort of gingerbreadish............ornaments that look like candies and cookies on the tree, and several throughout the house too. The grandkids LOVE it. Oh, I put special ornaments on the tree too so it's not all that way but that is the jest of it. The house itself sort of turns into a xmas wonderland. I am a xmas fanatic afterall and it shows. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well that's just cool. I'm glad to see you passed them TO Cory and not passed up a chance to put......wait ----oh I see you passed over a chance to put them in YOUR house - so you DID pass them on. Not pass ON them....Crud....wait....no......that's right....you said I passed on the xmas tree...as in I passed them on ........that's right. ISH.......

Ya'll gave the tree to the boy. Got it. slaps face.........got it. I'm just tired.......dang it. I don't care how you worded it - I still wouldn't have gotten it. Cause you gave the stuff to Cory. lol. Ahem.

DammitJanet

I was trying to word it a bit more dignified than I gave the danged cheap-a$$ed tree to Cory along with the dime store ornaments. Good riddance!

Star*

call 911........call 911
GOD I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

I like cheap a$$ED tree.......ROFLMAO.

I got my tree topper out of the estate sale trash.....and it blinks red lights.....like a brothel sign......but I'm not telling DF - because it's better than the skeletons and Grim reaper he put on there yesterday. My face was like - Oh no you din't. "Ain't it cool Star?" ..........NO............no it's not.

klmno

How cool! A Christmas tree- no matter cost or sophistication- holds so many memories that it's worth something- a lot. I hope Cory and his kids can appreciate it and that you can remain feeling good that you have passed it on now.

DammitJanet

We used to have this old tree topper that we got from Family Dollar that was a star that had blinking lights and tinsel. It was so tacky but the kids loved it because it blinked like the tree. It was silver...lol. One of the dogs finally ate it one year.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
There is nothing wrong with a good old fashion cheap :censored2: xmas tree. Mine happens to be the cheapest they sold that had the lights attached because I was tired of listening to husband bellyache over the lights every year. (my present to him one xmas) As for dime store ornaments, why not, if they're cute or pretty who cares how much they cost? Most of mine are cheap.......many of the candy / cookie type ornaments I found that were the best came from places like Dollar Tree believe it or not. lol Oh, mother in law would pay a lot for hers at the time she bought them.........but other than hers, the kids seem to really like the cheap ones we bought over the years, go figure. :rofl:

Nichole is patiently waiting on me to find mother in law's nativity scene so I can pass mine on to her. Mine is a fairly cheap unbreakable set purchased at Lowe's back when Nichole was a baby and trust me it didn't cost much but it's lasted her playing with it for years and years. lmao