I raised him right, right? Self blame and the pursuit of happiness.

Jabberwockey

Our kids need to tour these facilities, see and meet these criminals, feel the immense humanity of people who are in criminal incarceration and realize how much we all have in common with them.
You'd think that every kid that walked in there would be so terrified, the kid would never even go through a yellow light for fear of ending up in prison with lifers

Missouri used to have a "Scared Straight" type program where youths were brought into the institution for a tour. They were even locked into cells for a few minutes with certain offenders. They stopped it because it was determined to have a negative affect on many teens. And yes, the offenders they were locked in with were trusted and custody staff was nearby.

BusynMember

Jabber, maybe that's why it's not so effective...the kids can smell out that the inmates chosen for the job of scaring them are not really going to hurt them. I am sure, even without having worked in Corrections, that there are plenty of really, really mean, violent people with no consciences also there, but they can't do scared straight programs. We can't trust Ted Bundy with them. I mean, he would have definitely scared them if they'd met him and listened to him talking about killing people, but he would obviously and fortunately never have been allowed near them.

I am not sure Ted Bundy had humanity in him. Or Charles Manson. Or John Wayne Gacy. Etc. etc. etc.

My daughter Jumper is studying Criminal Justice. She is not ruling out Corrections. The ideas scares me from my head to my toes, but she thinks it might be interesting. I hope she changes her mind, ya know?

Jabberwockey

the kids can smell out that the inmates chosen for the job of scaring them are not really going to hurt them.

I think it had a lot to do with the kids not seeing the true negatives of prison. They were in the cell with an offender who had a tv, had sodas, candy. They saw a life where stuff was given to them and lets be honest, that appeals to our differently wired children!

I hope she changes her mind, ya know?

Actually, its not a bad line of work. At least she's getting a degree which means she will either be Classification or Probation and Parole, not Custody!

Lil

My daughter Jumper is studying Criminal Justice. She is not ruling out Corrections. The ideas scares me from my head to my toes, but she thinks it might be interesting. I hope she changes her mind, ya know?

My BS was in Criminal Justice. It was a good major for law school. I suggest a minor in Business. Yep...you need a lawyer in the family. ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
I have nt read all the posts, but I know 1 thing. It is NOT YOUR FAULT.

You did not, at any time, not even for one day, wake up and ask yourself, "What can I do to mess up my child as bad as possible today?". You DID ask yourself how to make his life better, what you could do for him/to help him, what he needed. I know you did, because you are a good mom.

You did the best you could with what you had, and when you could do better, you did.

This means that NONE of this is your fault. It is absolutely, 100%, completely NOT YOUR FAULT.

It would be different if you abused him or tried to mess him up. Or ignored him. Since you did NONE of those things, work hard to stop blaming yourself.

Blaming yourself does nothing good and gives him excuses to not grow up and be a functional adult. It sounds like he makes enough excuses for himself - he doesn't need anyone else making them too.

Focus on enjoying your life and on setting healthy boundaries and on letting him be responsible for himself. That is absolutely the best thing you can do now. Trust me, I know.

Nikimoto

Pursuit of peace
I am not keen on scared straight programs per se, I mean just a tour. And I most certainly do not agree with locking youth into cells with or without a trusted criminal companion. It sends the wrong message. For most kids I would imagine seeing people similar to themselves would offer a moment of reflection. And driving a yellow light doesn't put someone into the slammer on its own. You would have to have something else in your driving pattern before I pull you over.
Evan was as delusional as the next differently wired kid, and he was never wrong. This tour approach wouldn't reach my Evan or other kids like him, due to the arrogance and above the law attitude they develop over time. But it would show them that someone just like them can be wrong. That's what he can never do is admit fault. I would like to take him in there and show him the stats on who has such and such high I.Q. Points, who sat first chair Euphonium in band, and who else was highly intelligent and earned disgustingly terrible grades while disrespecting all their teachers and parents. It's more of an opportunity for reflection, but kids like Evan refuse to see themselves for who they really are in the first place. It's nothing more than a pipe dream for parents to find a way to pull our kids back to reality.
I have days where I just want my son back. The real boy I remember him to be, the son I love and raised in my life. He decided at some point to be who he is, and to walk or kick and scream away from my definition of love. Because arrogance and belligerence are mistaken for independence and self worth. Because he is wrong inside. But those are the dark moments where the questions hurt me a little, of what if and if only.

BusynMember

I forgot whether I asked or not and am too lazy to read everything again. His behavior sounds a lot like a kid who is doing drugs, and I don't mean just pot. Is he on drugs? Stealing, lying, violence...all symptoms of the drugs messing with their heads. My daughter was a different person on drugs and now she's back to how she used to be since she quit using drugs. I don't know if your son decided to change for the worse...to me that sounds unlikely. What is his motivation? I think that whether or not you know it, drugs are his game and most kids using drugs are extremely good at hiding it and we are extremely shocked to learn exactly what they are doing.

I know I was.

I know I'm not the only one. I suspected pot...well, KNEW pot, but never dreamed speed, meth, ecstacy, etc. There was no sign that she was that out-of-bounds msot of the time. She usually did the drugs at night when she was sneaking out on the streets, which we also didn't know.

Now, if your son was always violent, defiant and a jerk then maybe I'd tell you that perhaps he is developing a personality disorder, however that doesn't come on overnight. And people with other mental disorders, such as bipolar and schizophrenia can be bizarre, but are not mean because of their illness. So if he was always a PITA that's one thing. Nothing says "I'm On Drugs!" more than a sudden turn for th e worse academically, friens wise, violence wise, defiance wise, and mood wise.Theft is just the way they fund the drug habit. Pot is easy to get. Other stuff, well, it costs money. They tend not to work so they need to steal.

My daughter didn't have good self-worth either, but how many teens do? Not all teens use drugs, ya know?

Having been through this myself, with other kids who did not do drugs, I just smell it on your kid. He is doing what drug users do, although he is apparently, if I recall, very careful not to bring anything into the house and to maybe also use at night only. But there are residual effects after the high too and this stuff affects their brain. If they do it long term, it can change theri brains for good.

by the way, cool that you're a cop. My daughter is going to school for criminal justice. And I didn't actually mean the kids would be afraid to go through a yellow light. I was exaggerating. I know you don't get pulled over for that...lol.

Well, keep on reading. We are here for you, no matter what is going on. We've all been there.

Nikimoto

Pursuit of peace
I discussed with my husband how I suspected drug use, so it's complicated to be sure. Very complicated. I had some behavior calls beginning in K and 1st grade, but the teachers and I chalked it up to sleep apnea through discussions. Had his complete tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy at 6, which he of course slept better, was a lot less sick, and had no excuse from very early in life. Was well loved and spoilt, but would do strange and mean things. So there is a possibility he had a personality disorder which I swept under the rug in self blame as a single parent working too many hours at the time.
Even in the early years, he complained of his homework, wouldn't always do it, or do it correctly, and argue about non issues. There is also the fact that he not began to act like a drug user several years ago, but like you mention, the side acts of being horrible which led me to conduct room and bag searches. I never found paraphernalia, but always found something.
Whether it was some of our home electronics or food wrappers, I never left his room empty handed. And the stench, I think looking back that his proffered refusal to cooperate with the laundry program in our house was another coverup. Sometimes a strong smell came from his room, and he would of course seem really sick the next day.
Funny one time last year though, he was refusing to get up for school until breakfast was almost over, claiming to feel sick though we knew he had been up all night. I stood in his doorway and told him point blank that if he laid there and refused to get to school I would call him in for truancy. He gazed at my face in anger for a few moments, but I could it sink in until he realized I shat him not. Way hey up he rises! Good enough to sit at the table and shoot me sorrowful looks until he left without so much as fixing his lunch.
Might have worked out for him if he was closer to being the first born, but then again I truly doubt that, too. There were other times he acted like he had a hangover, and our kids just don't seem to realize that we the parents are not exactly naíve.

witzend

I did the best I could with my kids, with little help or encouragement from family or school, and with my daughter with deliberate sabotage of both her and my (and my husband & our son's) mental health. I sought professional help for years. Our relationships are, I fear, ireprepairably damaged. I've given them the tools that they need and they are both married. I hope that they will be happy. I can't take credit if they are any more than I can if they aren't. I won't feel guilty one more moment for circumstances beyond my control. I hope that you won't either. You're not alone.

mjhawks

Thank god we don't get pulled over for yellows, or I wouldn't have a license. I studied Criminal Justice too, but hyper-extended my knee before I could go into the academy.

I think this is part of what is so exhausting. You can't just run some blood work and say "oh, he has such in such" It's all a process of elimination. Sucks for all parties.

Although, if you suspect drugs, you could have him tested, right?

BusynMember

Jabs, at this point in time, she is only thinking about the police officer type and is smart enough not to work in city like Milwaukee. However, she realizes she has many options. We joke around and she threatens to give me traffic tickets for driving too slow.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Hi Niki, and welcome to the board. I've been out of town, but wanted to catch up and respond to your thread. Your son, at 18, sounds very similar to my son at that age.

They are just two very different people, who make their own choices.

My older son also sounds like your older son. He has thrived in his life. He is now 29. He was raised in the same house, with the same rules. He wasn't perfect---was a bit lazy in high school, but made good grades throughout, did what he was supposed to do, graduated from college and has a master's degree in math, a good job, a fiancee...etc.

He continued to sign up for AP and Honors classes after several years of proving he will not do all the work and gets very poor grades, refuses to do any lick of house chores after making sure over time that he does a terrible job at them, and spends so long in the shower or toilet that we begin to ration his time to save money on the water bill. Hours would pass. Hours. Not on homework or research or diligently inventing a lifesaving innovation for a third world country. Just several hours out of each day on the toilet "@" in the shower, and otherwise hiding. We suspected drugs, and though I continually searched his room, I found no drug evidecne, just began to find thefting evidence.

This sounds like my difficult child as well. He was in the gifted program---although in his case he didn't want to be in it. So he did what he does---he just didn't do the work. I was called to the school over and over again to sit down with teachers, etc., and him. He would slouch down in the chair, pull his hoody over his head, and basically check out. At first, I thought they just didn't get him. (HA, hahahahahahahaha...). In time I learned. He would say that they were just being unfair, that none of the teachers like him, and they are out to get him....hahahahahahaha. He would rally because he wanted to stay on the soccer team and do just enough to make sure he didn't get kicked off. He was on the team for four years, and somehow, that was what he wanted, and so he did what he had to do. I do think that masked some things, and so I didn't take any real action in terms of getting him more extensive help. Would that have changed the course of things? Who knows? I don't "live in the land of what ifs" anymore, though I did for years. I know I have been a very good mother, and when I knew differently, I have done differently.

I knew once he left my response to his requests, no matter how necessary, would be no. It's not ok. It's not ok to turn around and ask, let alone demand things of me after all Evan has done to us up to this point. He certainly has a lot to learn.

I think your stance here is way way, before I got it, in terms of the course of the story of difficult child and me. My son moved out after his first semester in college. He and his brother shared an apartment for about six months. It was a disaster for his older brother. difficult child would trash out the apartment, never help clean up, and basically live like a pig. He flunked out pretty quickly. Went to community college and dropped and withdrew of many classes there before we finally said no more. He had a million changes to change.

I don't accuse all our kids of being lazy, but knowing how smart Evan is, and how he had every opportunity I never had, and how he loved to manipulate, lie and steal rather than really earn his own reputation, he is clearly one of the lazy ones.

My son was very lazy too.

Niki, fast forward to today. Looking back, I think my son was quite possibly drinking alcohol he took from our house while he was in middle school. Who knows what else? He hid it all very very well through h.s. and kept it troublesome but still between the rails. After h.s. he ramped it up---the drinking and the pot smoking. His girlfriend was the one who called me one day, asked if she could come over, and sat in my living room for an hour and a half telling me the real lowdown. When she left I was reeling. I had no idea the extent of it all. She said he had to drink a "40" every day before they did anything. She said he smoked pot all the time. I didn't even know what a 40 was, Niki.

Our kids can hide their real lives very well. I was also naive, but hey, I can't know what I don't know. My kids both knew that underage drinking and pot-smoking of any age was very much a no-no in our family. I didn't really know anybody who "did drugs" especially not my own son. My learning curve has been immense.

I will say this to you today: If your son is using drugs, you will know soon enough. You will know when you need to know. And if he is, there isn't anything you can do to stop him anyway at age 18. If there is a co-occurring disorder, like depression, or a p.d. or some other diagnosis, there is no way to tell until he stops using drugs and that is treated first.

I used to lie awake at night and obsess over all of this. Well, maybe he is self-medicating because of this or that, and he just needs help. Blah blah. I drug him to multiple doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, therapists. On and on. If I could get him there, he would sit there and say little to nothing. I went with him. I went without him.

Whatever. The only thing that works is for a person to want to change first. They have to want it. Until they do, there is no action that we can take that will make one whit of difference.

The details are just that, details. They are nearly irrelevant, but we will spend hours and hours and hours on them. I did too. I searched his car, his room, his backpack, over and over again. I spent enormous amounts of time and energy trying to "get the facts" about what was going on.

Today, I have let so much of it all go. I still love my son very much, and right now he is working a full time+ job, paying his bills and who knows what will happen next? He does not go to NA or AA. He drinks I know. He smokes cigarettes. He has two felonies and multiple misdemeanors. He is on state probation for the felonies. He is finally off county probation for the misdemeanors after paying nearly $1000 in fines and showing up every week and getting drug tested multiple times for months. He has satisfied that probation.

What will happen next? I have no idea. I have learned how to life my own life, regardless of what he does or does not do. It doesn't mean I don't care, and it doesn't mean that sometimes I am scared and I can go back to my old thinking.

I hope you are getting support, and I can recommend books like Codependency No More, Boundaries, Al-Anon literature, Al-Anon meetings, meditation, prayer, exercise, doing small kindnesses for yourself. We must turn the bright light of change onto ourselves, and work hard to live our own lives.

Niki, we are glad you are here, and we are here for you, no matter what happens. We get it. Welcome.