I received an email alert from my bank....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
asking about any overseas transactions & to please call the bank. After checking this out on my account I contacted my bank. Identity theft, apparently. All with my debit card; bank told me it was likely during a restaurant visit when your credit/debit card goes out of your sight. (happens all the time apparently).

Having said that, this was an internet purchase of some sort. It wasn't approved or initiated by me.

My card was canceled immediately; on top of that the senior VP of security asked to speak with me. He told me with the amount of this going on he was going to recommend a 2nd checking account with a debit card attached that was used for only internet purchases. Many times this account is titled fun money account.

If there is fraud, the only amount that can be taken is the amount you have in that 2nd account. Many people keep a minimum balance & transfer funds from the first account once a purchase has been made.

So I set it up - I've been a loyal customer for almost 20 years & already have free checking. So this account is free checking as well.

Just a head's up for you. Fraud is on the increase during hard economic times & you don't want your main account drained by one bad person.

Andy

Your bank is AWESOME! Good banks know their customers and can watch for trends. One year my bank called because a larger amount than normal was withdrawn from my account through an ATM. It was a legitamate withdrawal but I am always happy to get calls like that.

The other day, my credit card was denied at Wal-Mart. I called the company on my way out of the parking lot and was told that because a security check failed at the register, they automatically deny the card and shut it down until they can be assured the correct person had the card in hand. Very frustrating and embarrassing at the check out - what does the clerk and those around think? but I am glad things are in place even though I don't know what they will be. (maybe Wal-Mart's credit card machine hiccuped? Would be interesting to know if the next person in line had similar issue? It was on a till very seldom open.)

skeeter

we were hit for over $4000 over Memorial day. Got it all back, and cancelled the debit card immediately and will not have another. At least with a credit card you have a chance to "catch" it.

Mattsmom277

Sorry this is becoming common and you were the latest affected :(

I have a question though. Are things different in the US than from here in Canada regarding Debit cards??? In Canada, our debit cards all require a pin number for use. One cannot use it at ATM, for purchases at a teller etc without the pin number. It used to be that credit cards were the ones hit because the require signature only and anybody can fake that. But recently, credit card companies have sent replacement cards to customers. They have a chip embedded as the debit cards do, that allow all credit cards to now require a pin number instead of a signature. I can lose either my debit card or a credit card (Mind you I refuse to own a credit card) and nobody can use it. It is completely worthless without my pin number.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I was just dicussing this with a co-worker. She and her H have never EVER gotten a debit or bank card - they use cash and checks only and they also do not do any on line banking or purchases on line.

I was thinking of cancelling my debit/bank cards myself and going back to using checks. I'm still weighing this out as I find using my card to be so convenient!

I have a separate account that I use for all on line purchases already and it just turned out that way because I was paranoid to use my main account, so until I decide on this I guess I should be thankful that I already have that security in place, huh?

Wowsers - that was scary, Linda!

DDD

I'm so glad it got resolved so quickly. Phew/Whew!

Last week (slightly different topic) I received an email from AOL stating that it was time to "update" my automatic withdrawal information. The email address was actually "AOL....". I called AOL and they said "thanks for alerting us" "there is no problem and we will never request info like that". Then a few days later Sunbank@??? sent an email requesting update information. Not from Sunbank. A couple of days later BofA @ ??
sent an email saying there was a problem with my account. Not!

I can't believe how rampant these dishonest activities are now. Thank heavens my husband didn't see the emails because he is so trusting there's no telling what he would have shared to "make sure we don't have an issue".

Sorry that you got caught in a scam....it's a bummer to have to worry about things like this. DDD

JJJ

Mattsmom -- We have two types of debit cards in the US. One is only good with a pin and the other has a Mastercard or Visa logo and acts like a credit card but draws the money from your account, so it only needs a sig.

dreamer

its all frustrating. I dont know when the last time anyone actually CHECKED a sig, my cards are not signed.......
as for checks? when you pay by phone or online, they ask the info that is ON your check......acct number, bank number.........how do they KNOW it is ME?

DammitJanet

here in the US, if you are at a "terminal" that you swipe your card through, you have to use your pin for your debit card. However, if you have a mastercard or visa debit card, you can also have it swiped as a credit card and not use a pin! Check out folks are supposed to ask for ID to make sure that the name on the card matches the name on the ID but seldom do.

Cory has a debit card for his disability. Because I am his payee, for some strange reason that card comes in my name. I give him the card to use and he has no problem except for one place using a debit card with my name on it! The place he has a problem? The electric company!!! A place I really want him to pay...lol.

One thing you can also do to put a layer of protection up when making purchases online is to use Paypal.