I think he must be evil.

KFld

goldenguru said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you are responsible to set reasonable limits in terms of respect in your home ... and enforce consequences if difficult child is rude to easy child ... you can not force him to have a relationship with his brother. Their relationship (or lack thereof) is their responsibility.

</div></div>

Good point. I learned that years back when I was trying to fix the relationship between my h and difficult child. It wasn't my responsibility. The only relationships I was responsible for were my own.

Star*

call 911........call 911
HI,

I don't come here much because my son is 17. However. I can shed some light on the suicide difficulties.

My x was my training ground for suicide. I think all told there were over 13 threats of suicide, and that's if you don't count the times he purposely overdosed himself on drugs. After the ninth time of calling the ambulance, loading him up, going to the ER, having his stomach pumped, watching him be put in a psychiatric hospital and getting to know the ER psychiatric. workers by name it became apparent that nothing NOTHING I did was going to stop him. I did get bedside counseling from a nice mental health worker that told me the best thing for the situation was to not react. Had he truly wanted to kill himself? He would have and then there is NOTHING you, or I could do about it.

About a week after I took my son and left him, I got a call from his mom. HE had slit his wrists, and throat she said. He almost "almost" being the key word ; bled to death. When I asked how badly he slit his throat she told me it was horrible. Blood everywhere. When I called the hospital and spoke with the nurse she said she'd seen cuts with a razor that were worse. It was a ploy to get me to come rushing to his side. He was a pity junkie.

Some years later my son at age 10, told no one, went into a room at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) he was at; took the laces out of his shoes and hung himself in the closet. He was on heavy duty medications and this was not a pity cry. He had set stuff out for his friends, and did it quietly. Seven years later he was so out of control sitting in my home and the arguing had gone on for days. He was caught stealing and a police officer had talked to him that day. He came home that night, and pretended to swallow a bottle of pills. My first reaction was to jump up and pound the pills out of him and his mouth, but he's a lot taller than I am and he turned, twisting saying "You don't give a D(&@^." and I snapped. I sat down at the table, looked at him, got up, went outside where his step dad (my df) was waiting for the police (due to the yelling etc) and I calmly said to DF with difficult child in tow "When the police get here, please have them call an ambulance, he's swallowed a bottle of pills and is trying to kill himself."

When the ambulance drivers carted him off, they asked if one of us wanted to ride with. I said "Ride where?" I told them I have no NONE NO intention of following or going to the hospital - if he wants to kill himself so be it. And the man shook his head and drove off. I know difficult child heard me.

I've been involved with 3 people in my life that attempted suicide. One actually did it, and I'm sad to say I think he finally found peace.

There is nothing that you or I or anyone can do when people are using suicide as an attention seeking behavior. If it's NOT an attention seeking behavior it could be a medications tweak or they are going to do what they intend to do whatever we feel. For those people I'm truly sad. When my son went into that closet to hang himself he meant to end his life. A worker found him and they put him on suicide watch, changed his medications and he was better a few days later not remembering most of what had happened or why. He was just so depressed.

If your young man is 22 and still at home I would bet that he has no Independent Living Skills. Can he live on his own, handle money, keep a job manage an apartment feed himself get around on the public transportation? IF no, check with others here from England that can maybe tell you where you can drop him off.

I am so terribly sorry for your family, but you deserve better than to be kept prisoner in your own home by a 22 year old. IF he does attempt or tell you he'll attempt suicide again....find out now from your local hospital what can be done if you call the ambulance or police. Start now doing your background work, and once he's out? Get yourself some counseling. I'd suggest that now but it doesn't sound like you have time to blink with him there.

Many MANY understanding hugs.
Star ( the long winded)

morningcuppa

Thank you Star.

Actually I think my son can manage better than he makes out! He has a job and earns good money. He spends it like water but gives us some. He goes away with his mates sometimes and seems to have a really good time. He is able to get round on public transport without trouble.

Sometimes he is a real charmer and that makes me think I am going round the twist! Mind you then I look at the hole in the wall!
He knows the suicide threats upset me and that's why he says it. This weekend has been better thankfully and I feel strong again.

Thank you for your concern.