I think I did good...

Ephchap

CA Mom,

As the old commercial used to say, "You've come a long way, Baby!" :bravo:

Letting him own what he did and letting him figure out how to get through this is hard, but as you are now realizing, this is something he has to work out so he can go forward from here.

Yes, you handled that call beautifully, CA Mom ! Way to go!

Hugs,
Deb

CAmom

Thank you too, Deb. Boy is this EVER hard. I literally had to bite my tongue to keep from replaying the same old broken record! The one that did absolutely no good. And, it felt GOOD, really, to let it go and put the responsibility back on his very strong (and, hopefully, capable some day...) shoulders!

ScentofCedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAmom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm sure he must be puzzled that those old buttons aren't operating so well these days, and I know he's still testing. I can hear him talking to his dad in a very upbeat, cheerful voice, asking how his dad is doing, what we had for dinner, etc. Then, he asks for me, and his voice undergoes a complete change--much more sad and subdued, and I just KNOW he is trying his darndest to project that doom and gloom through the phone line, BEGGING me to ask, "Oh, my poor baby--WHAT have those MEAN, unfair, unreasonable people in that group home been doing to you?--let Mommy fix it!" </div></div>

Hmmmm....

This could have been a description of that last phone conversation with my own difficult child.

Something tells me there are going to be fewer working "Mom" buttons at my house from now on too, CA!

Barbara

:flower:

SunnyFlorida

Saw this the other day....don't know where my post went. I probably "fat fingered" it and hit the back instead of the submit.

I am so so happy for you CaMom. Your posts show a true journey from a newbie to one who's becoming a seasoned warrior parent! It's not easy. We receive lots of encouragement and differing view points here. But to actually see someone put into action what's been suggested and see how strong they feel...that is truly something.

:smile: congratulations on your advanced sessions.

Don't hesitate to keep on keeping the rest of us going.