I think I met my hero last night.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
As posted, we went to the Horse Boy movie last night with the author of the book.

The movie, the actual documentary filmed as they traveled, was good. The man, tho...was AWESOME.

Having not met any of you on this board, I've never had that moment to be in the presence of other parents who "get it". This guy "gets it". He would so totally fit in here.

Anyway, the book and the movie is about natural healing and horses with his son, but he emphasized over and over that its not any sort of "magical powers" of the healers or the horses, but following his son's lead and using what his son was drawn to in order to reach him. "Meet him where he's at", stop pushing him into rigid environments where he doesn't fit, etc.

And here was this extremely well educated, well spoken man and his wife with a son who threw temper tantrums in the grocery store - and even though he has written an acclaimed book about his life with a difficult child, he still can't shake the stares of doubt and judgement. He gets it.

It was like a in real life version of coming here.

It felt really good to be in that company.

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Well.....did you tell him about us???? LOL

Glad you had such a good time. I've only rarely met people in my area who "get it" and it's always such a thrill.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No, actually, I was stressed from the events that happened as we got into town (see general) and quite honestly, I was afraid to say much to him, or I was just gonna bawl and hug him. lol

But I intend to email him and mention this place as well as TEC.