I think I need some help with this next step...

CAmom

Hearthope, not only do you have him pegged but me as well. You could have been describing me as far as the fears and questions that are around in circles in my head.

I DO know and understand, however, that these are MY thoughts and fears, and, even if I thought he really cared, sharing them with my son would be pointless.

How sad to raise a child and have that very love you thought would bring him so far along in life be used against you as a weapon.

CAmom

Karen, that's about exactly what I said to him in the last letter I wrote and what I'll continue to say if/when he decides to call again.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He does know how much you love him now.

He has compared stories with others in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). </div></div>

This is very true. They exchange stories in their relaxed hours and during group therapy. I got a kick out of hearing (from Rob's therapist, not him) that Rob was complaining about us one day in group. He was going on and on about how "mean" we (me) were, how he had a curfew and how we had to know where he was and who he was with, etc. He was obviously expecting lots of sympathy for having such "mean" parents. Instead, his therapist said every one of the other boys told him how lucky he was that his parents cared...and they told him their stories of parents who left them alone endlessly, didn't care what they did or where they went or if they were fed, etc.

Your son knows he is loved. You have proven it his whole life and you are proving it even more now by allowing him to face his demons and grow up.

Suz

CAmom

Suz, I'll bet you're right. That's probably exactly what happened the couple of times he's walked out of a group therapy session because someone has said something to p-ss him off! He just HATES anyone to muddy his waters with the nasty facts...