I think I'm experiencing...

flutterby

Fly away!
...another mental decline. It seems pretty significant.

I have *a lot* of trouble following conversation. Often, I end up just saying things like, um hmm, or yeah, or some other fill in word/phrase because I get embarrassed at asking people to repeat themselves over and over. That part seems to be a processing issue - it takes me a few seconds to process the words and by the time I process what has been said, the speaker is already 3 sentences ahead.

I am more easily confused and the visual-spatial deficits are worse. I almost never drive anymore, and when I do I am mentally exhausted because it takes so much concentration. I lose my words all the time anymore and I can't seem to ever say what I'm trying to say. Reading is out because after reading the same sentence 10 times and still not making sense of it, I give up.

The neuropsychologist I saw last year told me I should see him again if things changed. Part of me wants to because I want to know exactly where the deficits lie. Another part of me doesn't because none of the doctors seem interested in finding out what's causing it.

What do you think? Should I have another neuropsychologist evaluation or should I just let it go?

house of cards

If it has been a full year and you are seeing things decline further, i absolutely think you should have another neuropsy done. Is any one offering any therapy like Occupational Therapist (OT) for you?

flutterby

Fly away!
MWM, I have seen a neurologist. He's the one that ordered the initial neuropsychologist exam. When he got the results, he just shrugged his shoulders. Same thing he did about the midline cerebellar atrophy.

I've had a brain MRI (with-o contrast), but no CT scan.

HOC - No Occupational Therapist (OT). Hand tremors are getting worse, too.

I'm thinking I will have it done again for the sole reason that if we can identify the deficits, I can find things to help. If that makes sense. The neuropsychologist I saw was wonderful and has info for a lot of resources.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I recommend seeing the neuropsychologist you saw before and a new neurologist. Ignoring that kind of atrophy, and just shrugging off the problems you had is very disturbing.

It seems teh neuro should have done more to investigate.

A CAT scan will pick up things the MRI cannot - even an MRI with contrast. Though you may also need an MRI.

I am so sorry. I know how scary this must be.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm wondering if you need a 2nd opinion from a new nuerologist.

But a 2n evaluation might be a good thing. Biggest in my mind is documenting the decline in ability/function. Sort of hard for them to think you're just "over thinking" things when it's documented.

Hugs

Josie

In addition to seeing other doctors for more opinions, you could try the gluten free diet. Here is an article about the link between celiac disease and cognitive decline. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061010022602.htm

Although the article says they do not recommend the gluten free diet for people without a confirmed celiac diagnosis, there is no harm in trying it. The harm would come from not pursuing other alternative diagnosis'es. For some reason, articles about the gluten free diet always come with a disclaimer about how you shouldn't be on it if you don't have to. I don't get what they think is so harmful with giving up all of the processed food and replacing it with whole foods.

I know you have been tested for celiac disease with a negative result, but in my celiac support groups, it is more uncommon to have been diagnosis'ed the traditional way by a doctor. The lucky ones have a positive test and a mainstream doctor diagnosis them. The others either use www.Enterolab.com, have an alternative healthcare practitioner suggest it, or try the diet themselves.

My cognitive issues were nothing like yours but when I started the gluten free diet, I felt that a fog lifted from my brain. I also used to have to have everything repeated, but by the time it was repeated, I realized what had been said. I saw results from trying the girlfriend diet within a few days.

I don't think this is the answer to everything you have going on, but it could make you feel a lot better.

BusynMember

Ok, then. I vote for a NEW neurologist too and the neuropsychologist evaluation. It's probably something physical and treatable. How can the neurologist ignore tremors??? There are a lot of physical disorders that impair cognitive ability. (((Hugs))) and keep looking for that really GOOD doctor who will try harder to figure it out. Sometimes, if you are a nervous person, they put everything down to anxiety. I know I have trouble getting taken seriously and it's maddening.