I Think It's Lawyer Time...But I Don't Know What I Want...?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
After this weekend's adventures....I do think it's time to bring in a lawyer.

But - I have NO idea what I want the outcome to be. I have lost faith in the system completely (not that I had all that much to begin with). So what do I want? An apology? Services? Money? A change in the way the system functions? I really don't know....

I also don't know how this will "play" in this very conservative area. Usually, the less the government spends helping people, the better. Anyone on Medicaid or looking for govt services is lazy, poor and just plain 'un-American'. Want help? Get a job, earn the money and fund it yourself!

Thoughts?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
PRIVATELY PROVIDED services until she is 25 and monetary recompense for damages due to the failure of the system to provide requested assistance from age (whenever you started asking) to "the present"; I'd ask for $50K/year. You won't get it. But you have to start somewhere - and if you don't get private services, maybe you will get enough to fund a year or so of therapy for you, husband and DS.

InsaneCdn

The desired outcome is fully-funded appropriate help (like the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) you've been fighting for, and whatever else) for as long as it takes... including help for the rest of the family due to the on-going stress of the situation.

Whatever, wherever, however they get that for you...

Fixing the system might be a long-term outcome to this, but YOUR battle is to get help for YOUR daughter.

DammitJanet

I think you want funding for your daughter for as long as she needs to get well. You guys need some ptsd counseling too. But really, I think you would to focus on her for as long as they can keep her in a placement, at least until she is 21 or 22.

buddy

I posted this in the wrong spot (your last thread, sorry....)

After I read this earlier I had to go and while I was gone I remembered our MN ombudsman office so I looked up SC and here is the office...Of course I suspect you have already done this since you have been thru this so long but in case you didn't:

Click on this LINK:South Carolina State Office of Children's Affairs
Constituent Services

The Office of Children's Affairs provides ombudsman services on behalf of families and children by receiving and responding to correspondence and telephone inquiries to the Governor. In the delivery of these services, staff reviews and responds to questions or problems involving or impacting children either directly or by referral. This office provides information and referral to constituents on available services and resources in their community.
Our office assists constituents with concerns related to problems they may be experiencing with any child serving, public agency to include the South Carolina Department of Social Services, South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, South Carolina Department of Mental Health, South Carolina Department of Education, South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs.

Children's Case Resolution System

The CCRS reviews cases on children with emotional, physical, and educational needs not being adequately met by the state's service delivery system. The CCRS provides arbitration and mediation services for the most difficult cases where resolution between agencies does not occur.

There is a PDF form to apply. I briefly read the things they need and it is what you have done...names, dates, meetings....showing a diagnosis and that you have exhausted the regular chain of command.....

sorry for the double post, wasn't sure if you had moved on, smile! If you have been there done that, just ignore, I wish I had a magic little lawyer in my pocket

klmno

I want to PM you some specifics about my talk with an attny but am trying to regroup from work right now and need to deal with some things around here this evening- so, if I forget- feel free to PM me and remind me. But in short, you can call around and get a low-cost consultation which is usually either free or $50 for an hour or something like that. Have your questions formed well because you might not need more time with an attny after that for a while. I have found that it's best to do a google search or search on your state court/governemnt/bar websites for an attny who's licensed as a GAL (if you have GALs for juveniles that are attnys in your state), or at least make SURE you are getting an attny who frequqently works in juvenile court cases- not domestic, family issues (like custody and divorce). They will know processes, people, etc, and save everyone a lot of time. And should the need arise to be in front of a judge, you'll already have someone prepared to go with you and advocate for what you already has a working relationship with the judge, other attnys, etc.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Just an update:

Looks like the point is moot.

There are not that many attorneys in the state who would be qualified to fight the system. I contacted the law firm closest to me that deals with family court, juvenile issues and government law and they turned me down flat. Advised me that I needed to find an attorney who knows the state's mental health system inside and out. They had no idea who that might be...they had no recommendation for me.

Next closest firm is more than an hour's drive...

And the one after that is some three hours from here.

All things considered, they may as well be on another planet.

So I guess that's that.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Call those other firms. If they deal in that, they may work with you on the distance problem. But do at least call.

We met an attorney who was looking for someone to fight a charge of "minor in possession" of a serviceman who was on leave after coming home from Iraq, at the time. It was his personal beef, and he'd have taken it on free of charge. A lot of them have pet projects. Maybe you'll get lucky.