I think my computer is dying.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Argh. I'm doing CPR.

No carp. Not 5 seconds of typing this is went completely dead. I'm freaking. I've revived it, but an now in the backup mode. Geez...I cannot lose my book. Stupid me.

Abbey

Lothlorien

You should get yourself an external hard drive to keep a copy of stuff on so you don't lose it if you have a problem. I hope you are able to back it all up. If you are having more of a problem, shut it down and take it to a computer tech/repair place. Most times, they are able to retrieve info.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Loth gave you good sound advice.

Keeping fingers crossed you don't lose anything........and your computer is A ok.

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
It's still limping along...backed up everything to DVD's. I do have an external hard drive, but it's somewhere in the mess of moving. My poor easy child. :(

Abbey

ctmom05

A few months back I graduated to a new computer; the first one I have ever purchased with my own $$. The others have been hand-me-downs and one was a very generous gift, but what I have now is the first one that has ever said "me."

While it was not the best time for me to shell out money, I did . . . sometimes the right decision is a crapshoot. I got a new laptop(also a first), with as many features as I might ever learn how to use. Not being super tech savvy, it is something I can grown into gradually.

The unit I got was <$600, preconfigured, and represents an almost $300 savings over custom-built.

Abby, even tho you may not want to part with the money, is it maybe time to think about a replacement, something you can rely on and enjoy using - one that will meet your needs now and in the future?

donna723

Abbey, if buying a new computer isn't feasible right now, could you maybe get someone to look at it for you (after backing everything up, of course)? My old Dell is five years old and had gotten so slow and pitiful it was almost impossible to use it. When I went to S. Carolina after the baby was born, I took the computer with me, wrapped up in a blanket, for my sister in law to work on. He completely cleaned it up, got rid of five years worth of the nasties it had picked up, defragged it, installed a different antivirus, and then he added more memory so it now has twice as much as it came with. And now it works better than it did when it was brand new! I don't know what someone would charge to do that but it has to be less than a what new computer would cost.