I think my kitty is dying

Fran

Former desparate mom
I just got to read your thread. :crying:Poor Abbey. I know you must have been so scared. I'm glad it's treatable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thank goodness it doesn't seem anything too serious. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and she perks back up to her old self.

Hugs

slsh

member since 1999
Heather - so sorry to hear this. I know how our cats become our kids. I think I get as freaked out about sick animals as I do sick kids!

I was thinking it was some kind of a "bug" from your description. Our oldest cat, Figaro, has done that a couple of times. Usually it's some kind of infection, but he has always gone and hid in the deepest darkest places in our home when he's not feeling good.

I always know when Elsie (yes, the cat) is feeling poorly 'cuz she comes and sits on my lap, which isn't something she usually does.

I don't envy the pill thing - almost as much fun as giving a cat a bath. ;) Hope little Abbey is a cooperative patient and up and at'em quickly.

Gentle hug to you and Abbey!

Marguerite

I'm glad she's not going into kidney failure.
I remember having to give my cat, Nelson, a pill. I hid it in his food and he wouldn't touch his food for three days. I tried the cat wrap method, and he clawed his way out. I took him to the vet for the pill - and the vet got it down his throat so fast the cat didn't even blink.
Nelson was a wild cat too. He never liked to be held. He also never learned to sheathe his claws and would stalk us and attack us, claws out. I was almost relieved when he ran away from home to live with a cat lady nearby who fed him tinned sardines.

Marg

F

flutterbee

I went to bed around 7:30....was so tired cause I didn't sleep worth a darn last night (whatever night) and was upset all day over Abbey. I was awake every hour so I finally gave up.

Abbey is still under the bed. I had hoped that the fluids would perk her up some. The vet said she wasn't really dehydrated and they just did it as a precaution because of her kidney issues so I guess I really didn't expect it to do much....but I was hoping.

This is the girl I worry about. Her kidney issues, bad reaction to frontline - she has to have advantage - took longer than most cats to wake up from anesthesia and ended up peeing on my bed because she was still so out of it that night (they wouldn't even let me pick her up until after 6pm that night - normally you can get them around 4) and gets really sick from the distemper vaccine (she doesn't go outside so from now on we're just doing rabies). She was the runt of the litter of stray kittens. So, I won't feel good until she's moving around and eating and drinking.

Good idea about the eye dropper, Loth. I'll try some low-sodium chicken broth in the water first to try to entice her. If that doesn't work, eye dropper it is.

The vet always asks me if I want liquid or pill antibiotics. Except for one time when we had to switch Puddles antibiotics around to find one that was working (when he ate that string :rolleyes:) and he had to have a pill, I always get liquid. It's much easier to give. And when they are feeling better and it becomes too hard to give, you just mix it in a little tuna. ;) I learned that with Baby Kitty (aka Holly, but we never call her that and she's almost 9). Most cats you have to wrestle around with to give them a pill. She'll shred you. Trust me.

Thank you all for the thoughts and concern. :flowers: Please keep little Abbey in your thoughts until she pulls through. She worries me so much.

Now I have to post about easy child. Sigh....

Heather,

I couldn't get back here last evening. Thanks for the update on Abbey!!! I hope by now, she's beginning to feel much better!!! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way... WFEN

meowbunny

I'm so glad the news isn't kidney infection. Here's hoping the medications start working soon. If not, let us know. I'll happily burn my candles and say a few prayers for Abbey. We need our babies!

TerryJ2

Ohh, poor Abbey Kitty! I've got my fingers crossed and hope that the medications work right away. Thank you for posting updates.

change

:( :( :(

HUGS! xoxoxoxo

I know how you feel. I love my pets just as much and we have a cat that we feel the same way about. Lots of "kitty prayers" your way.