i Think This Is Progress

B

Bunny

difficult child was supposed to have an appointment with the therapist tonight. He was told yesterday. He said okay. He was reminded this morning before he went to school. He said okay. He got home from school and was reminded. All of a sudden, it's a problem. It's Monday. He was off from school all last week and can't be expected to go to the therapist tonight. He told me that he doesn't like Monday appointments (maybe he did tell me, but I truly do not remember being told this). So, he asks, pretty calmly, if we can make an appointment for another day because he is NOT going tonight, no matter what anyone says.

I call the therapist and leave a message. He calls me back and we talk briefly. I call difficult child down and tell him that the therapist is on the phone and would like to speak to him. He calmy tells the therapist that he will come, just not today. They agree on Thursday at 6:00 pm.

I told him that if he gives me a problem about going on Thursday he's going to lose things. We'll see what happens.

T

TeDo

Way to Plan B Mom!! You handled that PERFECTLY in my humble opinion!!! Crossing body parts that it goes off without a hitch on Thursday.

B

Bunny

Thanks, Tedo. I knew that I was not going to get him out of the house to go without dragging him, and I knew that that would only make things worse. But, I think that making him talk to the therapist was a good idea. This way HE is the one who chose the day with the therapist. It's not me saying, "This is when you have to go." Sort of puts the responsibility on his shoulders.

buddy

Yes, I agree, you did a great job. I wish we could just say to our kids, knock it off we are going now! but we all know that our kids do not respond to that LOL. So you did amazing and he actually did too. Hopefully not just stalling to throw a fit on thursday but you have already told him what to expect. I'm impressed.

B

Bunny

Yes,Hopefully not just stalling to throw a fit on thursday but you have already told him what to expect.

When I told him that if he gave me problems about going on Thursday he would lose things, he told me, "Mom, it's not that I won't go. I just don't want to go today." Okay. I can live with that.

StressedM0mma

Bunny, I thought I posted something, but it disappeared?! I would take this as progress. No screaming stomping or door slamming. I will have everything pretzeled that on Thurs. he will go without any argument. It is amazing how my expectations have changed with difficult child. Way to go also on making difficult child take ownershop of the appointment.