I think You Will Be Proud of How I handled It...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
difficult child came home from school - was NOT speaking to me.

The bus was late, so I asked her about it....a couple of times before she answered - and then she let go. Began cursing and swearing at me. Demanded to know how long I was taking her instruments - and said she didn't care anyway cause she knew they were hidden in my room. I could just keep them there!

So then I told her about the pawn shop - and that they were there for 90 days.

The she started REALLY freaking out - called me names, screamed, yelled...

And I tried really hard to remain calm. I told her that she will not speak to me that way. And I said my piece. I said that I am tired of all the "little white lies", all the half-truths and omissions and the bs stories.

At that point, I heard a new story about how difficult child went to a girlfiend's house to catch the bus. And she didn't tell me because as she said " I choose not to speak to you. I'm sorry but that's YOUR fault."

I said that she cannot blame me, nor apologize on behalf. If she chooses not to speak to me (and I gestured to her note) or if you choose to leave that is YOUR choice - but I am not putting up with that. And I am NOT putting up with blame and being told that *I* need to assume and *I* should know. You want me to know something - you tell me.

I explained that she didn't tell anyone you were leaving. She was not there when I looked for her - and when I opened her door and she was gone, my heart just dropped. She began saying something about how that's not how other people feel. Really? I asked her. You don't know how it feels to find something missing?

She explained that SHE knows that SHE feels bad when something is missing - but she doesn't believe that other people feel that way....especially not husband and I. I told her that is EXACTLY how we feel when something we love is missing. I told her that I understood that she probably wasn't thinking about how we felt when she took off. difficult child admitted that was true.

I told her that rather than threatening me, or blaming me - she needs to start by apologizing to me!

So she did. She apologized. I gave her a big hug. I told her "Thank you!".

She was crying by that point, and so was I - but she pulled herself together and walked to her job.

I'm still a little numb....but I think that may have been a breakthrough. Among other things, she admitted that she knows that I love her.

HUGE!!!!!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You did FAR FAR BETTER than I would have done!!!

Now tell husband to go stuff it, YOU're getting away. An hour, a day - matters not.

TerryJ2

VERY good.
Great communication and accountability. You got her attention with-the instruments, and you held her attention until she absorbed the information. I just hope she takes it to heart.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Good job warrior mom, but I think you need that break for a little bit :). My husband was always away on weekends and that is usually when all the major difficult child junk would happen and it was all on me to handle. I hated my life at that point and thought many times about just leaving the whole situation.

buddy

I have a huge lump in my throat. Yes, I AM proud of you... and I am sure that is no big deal what I think but it is really great how you helped her to learn about how her actions affect others. Really nice that you connected with her too. Sometimes I am finding it hard after intense sessions of icky behavior to even act forgiving.... I try to but it can be so hard at times. You did a great job...
nanny nanny boo boo to husband (yeah, that's mature).

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Thank you for the votes of confidence!

nanny nanny boo boo to husband - I like it!

Believe it or not - I had to have a confrontation with him where HE tried to blame ME for HIS attitude. Ugh! No way ! Not today, mister!!!! So angry that he tried to pull that one!

He ended up bringing home chocolate ice cream as a "peace offering".

I am exhausted! Just emotionally drained...

Thank you all for being there for me these past two days. I don't know what i would have done without you!

InsaneCdn

{{HUGS}}

The challenge is... this is a beginning, not an end.
Now its a matter of finding ways to build on it...
But you've come this far... and you can and you will...
(and we're still behind you)

GwenM

Great job. You did a lot better than I could have. I don't think I would have been able to keep my composure. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. HUGS.

B

Bunny

You are a far more patient and stronger woman that I am! You did great. I hope that difficult child will hold onto what happened last night and use that as a stepping stone to a better relationship with you.

And as far as husband and his "peace offering"? I would have taken and ice cream and told him where to go. Really, far more patience than me!

It's been a long two days for you. I hope you get a few days to decompress and recharge your batteries.