I tried so hard not to do Halloween...

donna723

Well, it's 6:30 now, been dark for a while, and so far not even one kid!

It really is a shame how it's changed since we were kids. We used to have such a great time - Halloween was second only to Christmas! We ran all over the neighborhood (supervised) and nobody worried that anybody was trying to poison us! The lady across the street used to make these big popcorn balls and we'd always make sure we went to her house first so we could get some before she ran out! My grandfather used to spend days getting ready for Halloween! He got such a honk out of it! He'd make homemade peanut butter cookies and wrap them all up. He'd get these little bags and fill them with a couple of cookies, several pieces of candy, and then drop in a few nickels or dimes. The neighborhood kids LOVED him! Seriously now ... where did all that go???

Sunlight

Donna I liked Halloween then too. my grandparents lived right next door. she carved a big pumpkin with lots of little teeth. I was one of 7 and the night before my mom would put us like an assembly line at the kitchen table and we would each load one thing into those tiny bags to fill them for treats. we got lots of homemade treats like cookies and candy apples.

we wore homemade costumes no bought ones. we had a big box of clothes in the attic and one year someone was a hobo, a clown, lil abner, a chinese man, a ghost, a witch, all from old clothes.

we were out for hours, and filled a full size pilow case by the time we got home. with full sized candy bars.

susiestar

Roll With It
I missed out on most Halloween this year. I WISH we got some kids at our house. NO ONE comes here, but we are in a little development in the country. Maybe next year I will try to do a neighborhood party.

The kids did a community thing at the Fairgrounds a week ago, the church party last Sunday, and went to my folks house and one other street today. IF there is time. We are open until 9 for trick or treat.

We go to my folks neighborhood because so many people know the kids from when we lived there. MANY people complained the year we went to the University and skipped them. The other street we do about 5 houses on. 4 are SERIOUSLY decked out, trying to top each other. One family starts making things in June so they are all ready to pull out in early October. The main reason we go there is that Jessie's BFF's grandparents live there. They are close friends of mine, I worked at their restaurant for years, and they just LOVE to see the kids.

So many people go to the fancy expensive neighborhoods here. The developments with the really high-end houses are hit hard, ,mostly by kids they ahve never seen before.

I see very little destruction, though there was ONE car where the MOM was handing the kids cans of shaving cream and soda to shake and spray on houses that did not have lights on. Her response when I told her to leave was that if the owner didn't want it he/she would have given out candy. MY response was to pull out my cell and dial 911 and give her license number. We were in the neighborhood around my parents and we had a cop there in NO time. They found her handing kids the cans of soda to spray 3 streets down. MAJOR scene, drove them ALL into the police station, actually made the paper with the mom's picture on it the next day.

Personally, I HATE it that parents drive their kids from door to door to get candy. INSIDE neighborhoods with fairly small yards. My kids know not to even ask. If you have to be driven, you have to go home because you are not well enough to Trick or Treat.

I howp you are all safe and vandal free today!

Susie

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I will look at the house in the morning. I stayed in with the lights all off. easy child went with one of her friends to help with little siblings. Came home a little while ago. Then I turned the lights back on. I avoided the whole evening. AHhhhh

Beth

DammitJanet

I miss halloween so much!

I miss getting my boys ready in their homemade costumes and taking them around. We always went to the local mall for the costume contest or to my moms place because living in the country we cant walk to other houses. Then if we went to the mall, we went to the houses in the area around the mall. They expect it. Those are the folks who really deck the houses out.

I miss doing it when I was young and I could go out all by myself with a pillow case and come back with a full bag of full size candy bars, change, cookies, home made treats. I would play with the candy for days.

I didnt even get to see Keyana this year. Lindsey never even answered her phone to tell me if she would bring her over so I could give her and her brother the candy I bought them and get pictures of them. Sigh.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We got about 24 kids total, most of them under 6 years of age. Our neighborhood used to have a lot of kids, but they've all aged out I guess and now it's the next little goblins coming up. Of course, I had waaaay too much candy (I was hopeful!). And our enighborhood was dead quiet - eerily. No vandals, no nothing - I found it quite boring to be honest.

Like others have said, I really miss the days when I was a pre-teen, running through the neighborhood in groups of 10 or more, parading around in our homemade costumes - totally unsupervised because everyone wasn't paranoid. We'd have to go home around 7:30 to unload some of our candy/loot so we could fill our pillow cases again, there were that many houses!

I also miss making the kids costumes when they were little. In fact, I was making easy child's costume the other night and midway she decided to go with something else...she said I wasn't doing it right!! Huh, when she was little she never said stuff like that. lol.

KFld

I went to bff Jills and had a ball. I always loved Halloween at my house. My brother in law and sister in law always came over and we would take turns running to the door to pass out the candy, even when the kids were to old to trick or treat. Despite the fact that I moved out of my house and brother in law and sister in law are in Florida, I was feeling a little down about the first year in 24 years I would not be passing out candy at my old house.

I decided to go to bff Jills as she lives in a neighborhood full of kids and it was a totally different, but a great night. I was amazed at the amount of older kids out, including her own who is 17, who got dressed up and went out. They weren't smart about it or anything, just having fun. BFF said that's how it always is in their neighborhood. A lot of the older kids were even walking around with their parents or family members and because it's a pretty close neighborhood they see it as a great way to see each other and have some fun.

The weather was nice, and since she just had surgery on both of her feet and isn't really walking much yet, we decided to put our sweatshirts on and sat on the front porch with some blankets and watched everyone walk up and down the street and we had a ball.

I think this might be my new Halloween tradition. I knew even if I got trick or treaters at my new place, I wasn't going to run up and down those stairs everytime the doorbell rang anyway :smile:

Our kids all went to school together, so I saw many kids and families that I hadn't seen in quite awhile. easy child and her boyfriend even showed up and walked around with bff's son, who is my godson.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got not one trick or treater.

The downside of Condo living.

Anybody have a recipe that calls for Pixie Sticks? </div></div>

<span style="color: #3366FF">I can PM you my address if you like - I &#9829; Pixie Stix!!!</span>

When I lived in the condos in town, all the parents used to drop their kids off there so we'd get literally up to a 100 or more kids on Halloween!!

I just might mail you these Pixie Stix. 2 whole bags of them. Tink sure does not need them.

OH! I forgot to tell you guys!! Tink sold me HALF of her candy!! (maybe 20 easy child) I am SO proud of her!

rejectedmom

BBK can you return the candy to the store? If it is not specifically Halloween candy you might be able to get your money back if unopened. -RM