I want this dog! WOW

Fran

Former desparate mom
Cook, I practically ride them when brushing their teeth and cleaning their ears. LOL.
These two are incredibly gentle and loving. I was fortunate since they were 2 yr old rescue dogs and one never knows.

I wanted to mention that when Buster the wonder dog died at 15, I said "no more". I don't want to be tied down. It lasted 3 yrs and then it was the time. I did do research and made sure I was able to handle what I was getting into. These are not for the casual dog owner.

It has been a real gift to me even with dog duty 24/7.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW! Big dogs! I have some very fond early early memories of a St. Bernard. My parents would be talking to the older couple who owned it and I would play myself out. I can remember sleeping all curled up on/around/intertwined with it. Very warm fuzzy memories!

I have always been fond of the rhodesian ridgebacks, but we will probably not have large dogs because thank you is terrified of them. Maybe later......

They are beauties though!

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Fran -

I have always wanted a Pyrenees, but living in SC with the heat - I felt it was unfair with the fur. You being in NC - not so hot and good mountain air for GREAT mountain dogs. I'm sure they are in heaven.

DF's first dog was a St. Bernard & Timberwolf. Since they lived on a farm in ND - it had no problems with space, heat - and I saw a picture recently of it and OMG it was GINORMOUS. When DF and I decided to share a home - he fell in like with a little pit bull puppy. I was in a place where I couldn't give my heart to another Bulldog. I couldn't even hold the little bugger. Three years later I met people with a huge white American Bulldog and fell in love with one of 12 puppies. He had blue eyes and they are now yellow. His nose is pink - and his disposition is just fantastic. He LOVES his mother and hates YOU if you come near the car if we park and go for rides - but other than that he's friendly.

Helping the animal shelter helps me in the Spring when I get puppy lust - lol. Anyone wanting to adopt should consider a shelter animal - most just need to know they are in their forever home and like any kid - have food, shelter, love and consequences.

I'm glad your kids have you and visa-versa.

PersonalEnigma

Those are some big dogs! Of course, I am used to big dogs... We have Irish Wolfhounds :wink: They are quite big, 3'+ at the shoulder and 100lb+. They are our "canine horses" *LOL*. Right now we have three, a female we plan to breed and her two brothers who are just pets (their mother passed away last fall :frown: ). The only bad thing about Wolfhounds is that they don't live long enough 6-10 years on average :frown:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Star, I saw two bulldogs. I believe they were quite a bit smaller than what I think is an English bulldog. They were at the dog park. Their names were Tank and Diesel. What a hoot. The names described them to a T. Short length wise and solid. They walked side by side. I fell in love with them.

I was absolutely terrified of dogs my whole life. I mean wet my pants terrified. Gradually into my late 20's it eased up. Buster got me more comfortable and now I'm fine as long as it's not a lone dog running free without an owner of a leash.

Wolfhounds look so stately. I have never seen one up close and personal. They must be majestic. I,too, worry about the short life span.

F

flutterbee

We always get our animals - dogs and cats - from the humane society. Except for Abbey. She, her siblings and her mother were strays.

Jewel is our current shelter dog. A whippet mix, but definitely mostly whippet, if not full whippet. She has that racing body and boy is she fast. She's missing her tail - just has a little nub. The vet thinks it was a birth defect rather than intentional removal.

At 27 pounds, she is by far the smallest dog I've ever had. She is also an angel. It took her about a month to really warm up, but she is such an absolute sweetheart. Hasn't met a person she doesn't like. Anytime someone comes to the house, you can't get past the front door without petting Jewel. Even when repair men come out. I say, would you please pet the dog? She's going to die if you don't. LOL

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh Fran they are beautiful... I love the Great Pyrenees.... They are kind of like the Newoundland only white... Big old white bears!!! Big polar bears!!!

I love dogs also

skeeter

awwwww - I love big doggies.

Drool? Up until September, we had 2 boxers - you wanna talk about drool (and wall boogers!!!)???

I have to keep reminding NL that we do NOT want another boxer and please do NOT bring one home from the vet when he works. Wyley is doing fine on his own since we had to have Buster put down (although I think Buster took the one brain cell with him that they used to share).