I want to cut my legs off at the knees!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Whiny vent.

I am in so much constant pain from the knees on down. My ankles and feet look like they should go on an elephant. Then, to top it off, I have shin splints. I haven't had those since high school when running track.

Elevation doesn't help...taken tons of Aleve, yuck. I know standing on my feet all day doesn't help, but heck, millions do it every day. I find myself constantly bending at the knees to help or massaging them.

I've dramatically reduced my salt intake (sorry pickles...gotta go).

So, once again I can't sleep as they bother me so much and I'm looking at a 12 hour shift today.:( I can't wait for my healthcare to kick in.

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't know how you sleep and I know how uncomfortable it is to sleep in a different way than you are used to but.......have you tried sleeping with your feet elevated a bit? It may help with the swelling.

Another thought is if you have any of those lovely white stockings that you wear in the hospital....that may help disperse whateve is causing the swelling. I actually have some (I think) that I could send to you if you want. (after I wash them of course)

No idea about the shin splints. I was never much of an athlete in school. (and no comments from the peanut gallery..........STAR!.......I already said the obvious joke to that in my head as I typed)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey those stockings are wonderful. Also try putting them on a pillow while sleeping. Try drinking more water too.

I do not envy you the 12 hr shift. (((hugs)))

donna723

Abbey, I know exactly what you mean! I have the same thing and it's miserable. If you figure it out, let me know please!

I honestly think mine is from overdoing it. Trying to mow my city block size yard with a pushmower by myself started it. My feet and ankles swelled (really ugly!) and my feet hurt so bad I could hardly walk when I first got up. But it would get better in the winter when I wasn't cutting the grass. What really finished me off was three years ago when my son was in the hospital - I stayed there for a week - a week of doing nothing but standing and walking constantly. Nothing else to do! My feet felt like all the bones had come apart - kind of smooshy - and swollen to twice their size. I didn't notice until I got home that my ankles were covered with little broken capilaries. They've turned in to brown spots now - really attractive! Putting on extra weight hasn't helped, and now even more since I don't do the yard work myself. And now my knees are hurting! Sheeesh! I'm turning into my own grandmother! :sad-very: I'm becoming decrepid(?) from my feet on up!

I'm honestly thinking that some of it may be the beginnings of arthritis! I know that even young basketball players can get arthritis in their ankles from overuse and my 27 year old son has been told that he has it in his wrists and hands from what he does at work! All those years of standing on your feet are catching up with you. I know I'm not much help here, but I can sympathize. When you are working as a cashier, is there any way you can sit on a stool? I've seen people doing it in the store I go to.

TerryJ2

A garment sounds like a must-have. Stockings that stop at the knees may not be good enough. Do you think you have lymphedema? Have you ever had any injury to your lymps or had any removed, say, after a hysterectomy?

You poor thing.
I know you can't wait for your health care to kick in. You will put it to good use.

Lothlorien

Calcium/Magnesium might help. I had terrible leg pain for years and years and a doctor finally figured out that I had a magnesium deficiency. Once I started taking Magnesium, (800 mg daily), leg pain literally disappeared. It returns once in a while when I've been lazy about taking it. Drink lots of water and while you are out getting the magnesium, you can pick up a homeopathic water pill.

F

flutterbee

I think you've talked before about losing weight and someone mentioned concerns about thyroid. If the thyroid is the case, you could be experiencing another symptom where you have redness and swelling of the shins and top of the feet. For that, try using and OTC cream containing hydrocortisone for some relief.

If you do pick up a homeopathic water pill, make sure to drink plenty of water.