I went to the gym this morning!

KTMom91

Starting (again) on my quest to be healthy, and made it to the gym for 30 minutes of bike riding. I'm still terrified of hurting myself, and don't know how to get past the fear. I'm working three days this week (yay!), and I can't afford to cancel.

trinityroyal

Good for you Mary!

Maybe start slowly and set very small goals for yourself. As you get stronger you can increase your duration and difficulty level.
Something like 10 min walking, 10 min cycling and 10 min light stretching/cool-down. Then work your way up to 15 min of each activity, and continue from there.

Give your muscles time to get used to the exercises, and increase difficulty only when you find your current level to be "a breeze", and you should be okay.

Trinity

N

Nomad

Bravo!!!!
I've been exercising for 15 or so years and every once in awhile, I go on some sort of weird strike and don't go to the gym for awhile. I ALWAYS regret it. One would think I would know better. Sooner rather than later, when this happens, I start feeling out of sorts. Just went through this situation and went back the other day. Two visits to the gym and I'm already doing a lot better. Weird how that first push forward is the hardest...but clearly the most important. Again, bravo to you. I have found in the past that if I don't go overboard and commit only to something like three and an occassional fourth gym visit per week, slightly increasing either my work out time or difficulty each time works best for me.
What never works is when I go overboard and make committments that are not reasonable.
Sending good thoughts!!!