I won!!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok. Small things please me. My father in law took me out to dinner last night. It's got a buffet that has a sign hanging on it that says, "You are limited to one 6 inch platefull."

Fast forward a hour and few drinks and I said, you know they mispelled that word. Plateful is either plateful or plate full. No double ll's. Why I notice things like this is beyond me, but I do. So we made a bet. He thought it was right and if not he'd buy me dinner. I didn't have internet yesterday but I finally remembered to look it up. I AM RIGHT. (Please bow) I think I'm going to march down to his house with a print out.

Abbey

nvts

Congratulations! Why not print it out over and over again and wall paper the bathroom with it? :bath::rofl: He's sure to see it! ;)

Well done!

Beth

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Things like that bug me, too.

Be sure to hand him a spork so's he can eat his PLATEFUL of humble pie... :D

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok, this is how neurotic I am. I called the place. Poor guy who answered the phone. I'm trying to explain the wrong sign...platefull, plateful, plate full. He doesn't speak the best English but gave it a shot.

father in law is hell bent on proving me wrong. I love word wars.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe you should just go back there with your Magic Marker to settle things. I think you'd sleep better...

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH MAN DO NOT GIVE HER FUEL GCV MOM -

NOW I'll have to go post BAIL.......for what would the charge be.....

Corrective spelling?
Dangerous with a Sharpie?
Attempted English?

KTMom91

:bravo::bravo::bow::flowers:

:thumbsup::woohoo::yourock:

I went looking for the bowing guy (since Abbey DID say to bow) and I kinda got carried away.

Enjoy the word war! :warrior:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Gosh darn it all Star. Now I need to visit the plate-ful version.

Damn. Now that I look it does have an apostrophy version. Shoot. Darn you all, Star.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Apostrophy schmostrophy -- that's just a symbol to show which syllable gets the emphasis. In this case, both get emphasized, but the first one's dominant. Ditch the dash, it's only there to show the syllable in the first place.

You are STILL right, Abbey.

susiestar

Roll With It
Don't take a Magic marker, Abbey! Take a SHARPIE! Magic markers wash off!!!

Anyway, you are female. That makes you right. Doesn't it? That is how it works in my house, or at least that is what husband thinks! If it is wrong, NOBODY can tell my husband!!!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Actually, Star, I was going to point out that was from the FREE dictionary and you get what you pay for, but, upon further analysis, it seems to be an acceptable word in the English language. For some reason, maybe my foreign background, I tend to use dashes, I would have written that "plate-full".
Does that make it an apostrophe catastrophe, gcvmom? How do you like the use of all these commas? I'm becoming anal compulsive in the midst of your great grammatical genii...

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've had father in law at the house attempting the bathroom remodel for the last 4 hours. I haven't showered. I need to shower!! We've had several banters about plateful. He's as stubborn as H. You can have plateful, plate full, plate-ful, but YOU CANNOT HAVE PLATEFULL. I literally sat him down at my computer and showed him the dictionary spelling. His response? I don't trust computers. I need a real dictionary. Kill me right now.

by the way...did you know there is a word called containerful? I never did. You learn something every day.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha. father in law just left. (Nothing done in the bathroom, by the way.) His parting words were, "What kind of rum do you like?" rum? I said dinner.

He's a nutty old guy.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, it's a 6 inch plate that you are allowed to fill. I chuckled at the waitress...who is monitoring our food consumption? No one. What if I take 7 inches? Will they arrest me?

Abbey