I'd like to share something positive.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
with all of you this morning.

kt brought home a permission slip yesterday. I thought it would be for the everyday type of field trip that her day treatment tends to schedule.

Not so, my friends.

It's a permission slip to volunteer at a nearby local nursing home twice a month. :angel: kt had to be nominated by her group leader, her teachers & the program director & therapist. All felt that kt would be exceptional in this setting & have empathy for the elderly. She frequently talks of her great grandpa & her grandparents & has always shown a great deal of respect for these people in her life.

kt loved to come to work with me at the assisted living facility when I was working there - she loved to visit with the residents & help out with activities.

Of course, the children selected to volunteer would be supervised at a very high level - yet the people who nominated kt feel that she is emotionally in a good place. And it would continue to help her grow out of the "me" state of mind our children tend to live in.

I'm so proud of my ktbug this morning! :you_go_girl::nails:

Her plan this summer (when she reaches the age of 14) is to volunteer twice a week at the animal shelter. We've already filled out the papers & such for her to do this - the people at the shelter love kt & are looking forward to working with her. :jumphappy:

If nothing else, kt may have a future in volunteer work. :woohoo:

tiredmommy

That's wonderful! It takes a special person to work with the most vulnerable of our society. Please tell kt that this board auntie is very proud of her. :cheers:

LittleDudesMom

:angel:Linda, this is wonderful! As parents, we all know that teaching our children empathy is really important, teaching a difficult child is extremely important (if not frustrating from time to time). It seems really hard for our difficult children to step away from themselves and see the need in others.

Good for kt bug for not only wanting to do it, but qualifying to do it :peaceful:.

Sharon

nvts

That's fantastic! You've got to have that ear-to-ear "I'm a Proud Mom" smile on!

Let her know we're all soooo proud of her!

Beth

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, golly, Linda, that's great news.

Volunteer work is not for nothing. We need those people! I think its wonderful.

susiestar

Roll With It
How wonderful!!! Proud of how far she has come, and how you have supported her growth every step of the way.

Hugs,

Susie

ps. It tends to teach some lovely lessons on life to spend time with "elderly" people. I learned so very many wonderful things on visits to my grandparents, esp when they would take us along on meals-on-wheels, or to help at the Sr. Center. And so many more lessons when it was just Gma and I would stay at the retirement center (ALF). I really learned a lot about caring then.

Penta

Volunteer work can turn into paid work at some point, if kt has an affinity for animals or the elderly. You have every right to be a proud Mom. Way to go, kt!

Marguerite

That's really great news. Experiences like this that will teach her so much about the spectrum of humanity she will have to be able to get on with in life.

Marg