Ideas for low fat diet

InsaneCdn

Oh - yes. Can't forget... the best tip we ever got when we (pre-kids) did this...

Do NOT measure your progress with a scale.
Measure it with a tape measure, or with one particular garment that has a fitted waistband.

If you are serious about exercise, you will GAIN weight at first... but LOSE in inches!
You see, muscle weighs more than fat.

When I kick up my exercise routine (starting again), I really don't lose much weight at all... but I sure do lose INCHES. Have two skirts I use... when A gets tight, thats "it" - have to get back on the bandwagon. When B fits comfortably... I can relax again.

TerryJ2

Great ideas!
I *think* I read through everything and didn't see anyone substitute ground turkey or chicken for ground beef. I only eat ground beef once or twice a yr at school picnics or such.
Add Omega 3s and cut down on Omega 6s.
Add oatmeal and other fibers every day. Just by eating oatmeal for breakfast for 1 mo, I cut 5 pts off of my bad cholesterol.
Congrats, Klmno! Exciting stuff.

Steely

Congrats, Klmno! Exciting stuff.
Terry - LOL....it is Steely here :)

I am doing good but I am having a hard time just feeling "deprived". Unfortunately I use food for comfort. I almost caved today at the store, but didn't. I go to the Dr tomorrow to see more details on how bad it all really is, and whether or not she will demand I go temporarily on medications.

DDD

I don't know whether anyone else mentioned it but try to learn to love water. That really makes a difference. DDD

H

HaoZi

Mio is great, unless you can't handle artificial sweeteners. I like those Special K water mixes, too.

Steely

Well..........I went back to the DR today for the "results". Ack.

Now to preface I had not been informed she was going to take blood, so I had not fasted. However my triglycerides were 850!!!!!!!!!! I panicked. I have a long, long history of high cholestrol and high blood pressure, it is obviously genetic, although neither of my parents has it, but Matt does. Anyway, I told her that I had been eating really poorly, and I had not been fasting for the test and she said - OH - well that makes a HUGE difference. (Duh? It would have been good for her to tell me prior to the test to fast?) Anyway, she said to take Fish Oil and go on a low fat diet for 6 weeks and we will check it again.

I don't know, it kinda unsettled me. Just talking about how my metabolism is at a greater risk of heart attacks and strokes. News that is very disturbing although I already knew it. I am overweight, but not too crazy. I am 5'6 and 170lb. High, but not enough to warrant these kinds of test results. Regardless I have been at the gym everyday this week, and doing OK on the diet. I swear though, it is just one thing after another lately.

The other thing she noticed was that I am slightly anemic, which could explain the fatigue.

Sigh.......................

InsaneCdn

Deal with the "slightly anemic" FIRST.

It affects your metabolic rate... which affects everything else. Not just fatigue, but even the rate at which you burn calories.

Focus on getting rid of unhealthy fat rather than getting rid of fat... just "substitute".

Example - if you like "regular ground" in your chili... to avoid the animal fat you move to "extra lean" but the chili loses its flavor... no kidding, because the FAT and the SPICES go together. What to do? Once you get the stuff browned, and the other ingredients in there... add olive oil. Replace the animal fat with a GOOD fat. You get the flavor back.

You can do this. It just takes more time than we want to allow ourselves.

H

HaoZi

Also add turmeric to every dish you can stand to add it to. I add it to egg beaters a lot. Get a bottle of slow or time release Niacin and take it at bedtime (the best time to take a cholesterol lowering medication, and you'll avoid "flushing" by sleeping through it).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Anemic? SPINACH. Had LOTS of iron & folic acid, I think Vitamin C as well. And, bonus, it's low fat... LOL!

If you don't like the taste, add olive-oil margarine and lemon juice... The spinach will turn brown, but my Dad swears by it. Me? I add a tiny bit of salt and that's it LOL!

Steely

I had a BIG bowl of spinach salad last night. Yummy.
Plus - I have taken up swimming at the gym. Did you know 30 minutes of swimming burns 350 calories! Oh yeah - that makes me happy:) Much better than running on a treadmill in every way!

InsaneCdn

Did you know 30 minutes of swimming burns 350 calories!

More than that...
1) swimming is MUCH easier on the joints, and
2) its one of only a handful of activities that involves all the major muscle groups... (x-country skiing is another, not sure about the rest of them)

BUT.
You still need SOME weight-bearing exercise. Walking, or running, or weights, etc. Because it is the "weight-bearing" that helps keep the bones strong, and swimming is NOT a weight-bearing exercise.

Augustine

Banned
The diet for low fat is avoid to eat those food which contain rich quantity of carbohydrates and fats. You should drink fresh juices in your daily routine and as well as eat some type of cereals.

DDD

For me the hardest part is changing my expectations. From the time I was a toddler I always ate lots of food and enjoyed every bite. Fortunately I didn't gain weight until my 40's. Anyway I am trying to think of meals (particularly breakfast and lunch) as sustinence and make it a no brainer. I'm watching what I eat for dinner but breakfast and lunch are the same each day. Cereal for breakfast and salads for lunch.

by the way my MD wanted me to go on medication and I asked for two months to see what I could do on my own. He hesitantly agreed but said "statins" have many benefits for the body. My easy child who is a nurse supervisor in a cardiac unit agrees with him. I go back in Feb. and am going to agree to medications.

on the other hand, I did read a report on a recent study that "some" study indicates there can be an increased chance for diabetes in women taking statins. I'll be asking him about that since my Mom did get diabetes in her old age (which did not require medication, by the way). I'm proud of you for going to the gym. I'm signed up, I have my gym clothes and have set a self deadline to actually GO next week. Sigh. DDD

klmno

Oh- you're right- my brain isn't working- sorry-

Maybe I'm trying to fast forward a year.....hmmmm....