Ideas for Teacher gifts for Xmas?

busywend

Gee, I have not done teacher gifts since 5th grade. From 6th grade on she had so many teachers I could not afford it.

Do you all give when there are multiple teachers?

Maybe I am rude and did not even know it!
:smile:

My3girls&me

Last year My difficult child and I went to a bead store in our town and I let her pick out 7 beads for her teacher (we filled the rest of the bracelet with plain colored beads). When we got home I took pictures of her/us making the bracelet together. I then made a really cute card using the pictures on the instead and listed the reason Emma picked out each bead. One of the beads was a heart and when we were doing the card I said to Emma - okay what is the heart for, thinking she would say for love or because I love Ms. Sharon - she said because when I am having a bad day Ms Sharon will show me her heart. I thought it was just her being "quirky" as she can be so I just wrote it word for word. When Ms Sharon opened the card she was all smiles and then just burst into tears. I said Oh No what's wrong - she said that is just the sweetest thing because whenever Emma is having a hard day I always tell her to talk to me about what is bothering her. If she won't I say "show me your heart Emma and I will show you mine". This usually gets her to open up and it is something special just between Emma and Ms Sharon. I have seen her wear that bracelet everyday since we gave it to her!

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if you can afford it, a $20 or $25 gift certificate ($700, Abbey?!?!?) to Olive Garden, or a certificate for a pedicure would be great. It's something the teacher can do for themselves on their vacation or a weekend, and might be something that they don't get to treat themselves to very often. </div></div>

Witz ~ I like how you think. :smile:

Abbey ~ :smile: I can't even imagine a $700 present. I'm thrilled when I get a $10 gift certificate to Blockbuster.

~Kathy

Lothlorien

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: My3girls&me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last year My difficult child and I went to a bead store in our town and I let her pick out 7 beads for her teacher (we filled the rest of the bracelet with plain colored beads). When we got home I took pictures of her/us making the bracelet together. I then made a really cute card using the pictures on the instead and listed the reason Emma picked out each bead. One of the beads was a heart and when we were doing the card I said to Emma - okay what is the heart for, thinking she would say for love or because I love Ms. Sharon - she said because when I am having a bad day Ms Sharon will show me her heart. I thought it was just her being "quirky" as she can be so I just wrote it word for word. When Ms Sharon opened the card she was all smiles and then just burst into tears. I said Oh No what's wrong - she said that is just the sweetest thing because whenever Emma is having a hard day I always tell her to talk to me about what is bothering her. If she won't I say "show me your heart Emma and I will show you mine". This usually gets her to open up and it is something special just between Emma and Ms Sharon. I have seen her wear that bracelet everyday since we gave it to her! </div></div>

Okay,now I'm teary eyed. That is so incredibly touching. I'm positive that teacher will remember that gift every day of her life.

Kathy813

Staff member
busywend,

High school teachers get far fewer presents than elementary school teachers because most people can't buy multiple gifts. I usually get a few each year and am always very touched when I do.

I encouraged my own kids to give to their high school teachers a Christmas present and they said they were worried about being considered "nerds" by their classmates. I still bought a little something for each teacher and both girls were surprised at how grateful the teachers were.

I have friends that teach elementary school and they need a wagon to haul out the presents to the car!

Really, though, even a card from a high school student means a lot to a teacher. I'm not too crazy about homemade food gifts unless I really know the child well. At the high school level, you never know what could be in there.

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
difficult child's kindergarten teacher made something for every single one of her students since the year she started teaching and she's been teaching for about 22 years, including a bout with major breast cancer. What does she make each child?

It's 1/2 of a walnut. She places a little cotton ball, a teeny tiny mouse and a scrap of calico fabric so the mouse looks like he's all snuggly warm. She glues a little piece of thread onto it so it can be hung on the tree. It is by far the most precious ornament on our tree each year.

ps: Wanna know what else this fantastic teacher gave to each student she's ever had? She makes a scrapbook from the child's first day of kindergarten to her very last. It's about 35 pages long and it includes measurement days, special events, projects and pictures. It's an amazing keepsake! We still have it in difficult child's memory box. Also very precious.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wonderful ideas ladies!!

Abbey, A $500 puse and a $700 gift certificate!!!!WOW! You must teach at a school like the one my aunt taught at. She had one family that offered to take her to Switzerland! Another gave her free carpeting when she remodelled the house - they own a major carpet factory!

I will be stocking up on gift cards as I shop. I already tend to pick up a few $5 or $10 ones on payday. Sometimes my difficult child gets them - he does a lot of walking around town and sometimes it is nice to be able to get a soda or snack.

IF I get a few every payday or 2, then the strain is much less at Christmas time.

Hugs to all!

Susie

Abbey

Spork Queen
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: susiestar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonderful ideas ladies!!

Abbey, A $500 puse and a $700 gift certificate!!!!WOW! You must teach at a school like the one my aunt taught at.

Susie </div></div>

Yes, it's a very well-to-do school. I laughed last year when my room mom told me they were going to give a group gift for Christmas. She asked me where I liked to shop and I told her that I love Mervyns. The look on her face was priceless. She was in utter shock. Ended up with a Nordstrom's certificate.:thumb:

Don't get me wrong...I was very appreciative, but I could have bought 10 outfits for what I got there.

The kicker to the purse story is that I put that purse in the Goodwill pile several times and husband kept pulling it out. They would have had a pleasant surprise!! :smile:

Abbey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abbey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mom forgot to remove the tag...$500.</div></div>I have some relatives who often "forget" to remove the price tag from expensive gifts... and if anyone misses the tag are likely to loudly proclaim, "Oh, did I forget to take the &lt;Macy's/Saks/Tiffany's&gt; tag off? I'm so embarassed!" My sotto voce comment: not half as embarassed as if you'd forgotten to take the WalMart tag off.

SRL

Once I got a beautiful leather book bag at a garage sale for $1. It was clean and right at that soft, nicely worn stages and I used it for a purse. My mom sells shoes and handbags and when she visited she told me I'd better enjoy it because I couldn't afford to replace it. Levenger,~ $275 and that was a number of years ago.

tinamarie1

SRL...that is the sweetest thing! I may do that for difficult child's teacher. I start kissing up..eckem i mean, buying little things for difficult child's teacher after the first few weeks of school. I don't wait until Christmas, cause lets face it, I need her to like us alot for obvious reasons. So, where we live there is a really nice bread shop (who doesn't like bread?!). I bought her a rum raisin bread which she loved and then on her birthday i got a gift bag and went back to the bread store and got her some muffins and cookies.
I love to cook though, so thanx SRL for that idea!