IEP Evaluation Period is close to ending - Have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I am trying to prepare for the date when my son's IEP Evaluation Period Ends. His current IEP category is Health Impaired. He receives services in the areas of Social/Emotional/Behavioral. He was either at or above average on all of his academic evaluations, so he is not receiving any services for those.

I understand the SD does not have to test him again in order to continue or discontinue services thru his IEP. Can I request they re-test him? #1, I am concerned they will try to say he doesn't need an IEP anymore, and #2, I am concerned he may need services for writing, as well as organizational skills. Can we add other goals to his current IEP in areas other than Social/Emotional/Behavioral?

I have kind of forgotten all of this since it's been close to 3 years since he was evaluated. What advantage is there for him to have an IEP? Even if he was behind in writing, would that constitute having an IEP?

Any help/info/suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jules

Last edited:

JJJ

The school district must hold a meeting with the IEP team (including you) to determine whether or not they need current testing to determine eligibility for the next 3 years. They can continue services without reassessing it. In my district they call it a "file review" and is used for kids whose needs are pretty clear cut and agreed upon by staff and parents.

If they determine that he is eligible to have an IEP, it doesn't matter what category they check, he is eligible for all necessary services not just those that might seem to fit with whatever box they checked.

Have they called for any meetings yet this year???

Sheila

As the parent, you can also request a complete reevaluation. Do it by certified mail. Take care not to limit evaluation(s) in any area.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Thanks you two. No, they have not called any IEP meetings this year. His evaluation end date is in Feb. It's good to know he is eligible for all necessary services not just those in Social/Emotional/Behavioral. I would like to have some organizational goals/supports added to his IEP, as well as he may need to be evaluated again in the area of writing. He is very reluctant to do writing assignments and I am not sure if 1) he just doesn't want to take the time to do it, or 2) he can't get the thoughts in his head organized and down on paper, or 3) he physically has a hard time writing (says his hand hurts).

Status
Not open for further replies.