IEP help

crazymama30

We are having a review of the IEP on Thursday. Lately difficult child has had no missing homework assignments, but lots of missing and incomplete class work. I am wondering if this is due in part to his borderline processing speed as evidenced by the school psychologist's testing that was done about a year ago. What kind of interventions can be built into an IEP for this? He can do the work, but I really think that he is having problems understanding the directions and having enough time to finish the work.

smallworld

For missing classwork: Teacher needs to check in with him at the end of class to make sure he has handed classwork in. Alternatively, parent needs to check in with teacher weekly to see if difficult child is missing any classwork. If so, time must be made during the school day to complete assignments (see below).

For not understanding directions: After teacher explains directions to entire class, teacher needs to check in with difficult child and have him verbally repeat directions back to her. Alternatively, teacher needs to provide written directions to difficult child so he can refer back to directions as he completes his classwork.

For not having enough time to finish classwork: difficult child needs to be provided another time in the school day to complete work, such as recess or a study hall/resource class.

HTH.

crazymama30

Some of that we do already, difficult child gets a "missing assignment report" every week that he brings home when he remembers. I like the written directions. difficult child really needs something to refer back to. Thanks smallworld, that does help.

JJJ

I would not allow them to take recess as a make-up work time. difficult children NEED recess to function.

They can also have difficult child complete less problems (i.e. the whole class must do #1-30, difficult child only has to do #1-5 and #20-25 with the teacher having crossed off the rest on the sheet). The point is to show that he learned the work.

Sheila

Can't add much to the above.

Processing speed can interfer; how much would depend on how big the problem is. By borderline, do you mean he almost has a problem? or the problem is substantial?

http://www.additudemag.com/q&a/ask_the_learning_expert/1553.html explains processing speed in lay language.

"ADHD" tells me a lot if you've got a typical ADHDer -- inattentive, unorganized, unable to manage time, needs work broken down into manageable steps, etc. Then throw in a processing speed deficiency....

crazymama30

He is stereotypical ADHD. Once his medications kick in, you rarely see it externalized, but he is not good at expressing how he feels so I am sure he still feels it to some degree but he has not been able to tell us.

I do not understand many of the scores on the testing paper I have. I know that his perceptual reasoning was average, his working memory was average, processing speed was borderline, and full scale (I don't know what that is) is low average. I think what I will do is email psychiatrist about some of these scores, as he has a copy of the testing. Since one score says low average and the other score says borderline, I would think that borderline is lower than low average, but am not sure.