IEP results = Learning Disability

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
She originally was qualified due to a speech delay. Good thing is that she is caught up. But, they do not want her to stop therapy for obvious reasons. They said they'd qualify her under a learning disability, but couldn't give more details on what type, they said she's too young to know yet.

Her academic scores were average for the US. She tests very slowly, but gets things correct. They pointed out the relationship between her performance and not being able to process things auditorly. Is this one trait of Autism? (I've been wondering about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)-Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)) I've been pointing out to husband that he needs to back away from her when she's in overload and they basically confirmed it, that she'd meltdown if given too many auditory instructions.

They said she's doing okay on one-to-one stuff, but has a hard time working around other kids or in groups. She's sort of okay with reading, motor skill issues with writing, and her math is not good at all. She's just not getting the concepts of numbers (not totally, but not as much as she should at her age).

We have an evaluation set up for next week with the regional center. I'll see what they say and then move onto a developmental pediatrician if I need more answers.

I'm happy to know that 1. She's improved a lot in the past three years and 2. that her school district is not giving up on her and are pushing to make sure she stays in therapy.

And yeah, all of the behavioral issues came up too but that's ongoing.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi Sandy--

An audiologist can perform definitive tests that will show exactly how she is hearing (or not) and where any auditory processing troubles exist. When my daughter was tested--it really helped us learn where the weaknesses were and we could make adjustments accordingly (making sure teachers provided written notes as supplements to classroom lessons, for example).

The trouble is...it's not always easy to find an audiologist.

Hope there is one in your area!

BusynMember

I would get a neuropsychologist evaluation. That is very intensive and will look for all disorders including Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), which she has A LOT of red flags for. IF she has it, that will help her get interventions in school. Even though she caught up in speech (as did my son), an early delay is still a red flag for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Yes, my son had processing problems and sometimes still does, but he had a lot of help and is much better. Good luck.

Sheila

Speech delay and auditory processing problem = language based learning disability. Language based is really a very broad term.

Marguerite

If she's caught up with her language, that is great. But "caught up" does NOT equal "no problem any more". She still learned later, therefore used a different part of her brain, therefore doesn't have the same degree of mental cross-referencing she needs, terefore is likely to always be slower with word retrieval issues etc.

the important tag that she should NEVER lose is HISTORY of language delay.

I speak from experience. difficult child 3 is now highly verbal, his language scores are now in the superior range (more closely matching his IQ) but still there are gaps, due to the history of language delay.

I also think autism in some form needs to be thoroughly checked out. it would give a more thorough, blanket explanation for everything she exhibits.

marg

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
if you try the audiologist evaluation - call ENTs in the area. Some know or work with audiologists. I just had a full work up with- my ENT and he had one on staff.

My difficult child had ST for year, qualifying when she was 3. In 1st grade, they noticed she's not keeping up with- the program and finally tested her in the spring. She had expressive language and comprehension delays (among others). She was pretty delayed across the board acedemically too. I would request the IEP team to do a full evaluation to see if she should be placed in another classroom environment. My difficult child went to a transitional classroom for 2nd grade and then to her current setting in LDSC. She's learning at her pace which lessens the frustration. Plus, they usually will try other ways of teaching so that those kids who process differently may finally understand. My difficult child finally learned to read in 3rd grade and she's doing division in 6th. The math was always a hard subject for her, so I'm shocked at how much she's done in the last few years. I had always worried that she would never "get" it but they figured out how she processes it I guess. :)

If you suspect Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), get an outside evaluation with- a neuropsychologist or neuro. I'm at that stage now. We;re waiting for our app't. but I did find that the pediatrician. neuro we saw many years ago does evaluations for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID).

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
What is ST? She doens't go to a "traditional" school, but one that the parents volunteer their time a couple times a month. So the adult kid ratio right now is 1:7.5 (15 kids in her 1st grade class). Plus she gets the aide to come in during lessons, and the aides take her out for extra help during non-lesson times, and she goes in before school sometimes for even more help.

What is this LDSC you're talking about though?

The evaluation we have next week is going to get all the records from all the evaluations and look at those too, even the ones from when she was 18 mo old, to see the pattern. Next will be the neurophych, but for now this is a good (and fast) in between to help the school district. The desperately want to keep her in therapy (thankfully) and need some more diagnosis to keep her in the correct program.

My difficult child had ST for year, qualifying when she was 3. In 1st grade, they noticed she's not keeping up with- the program and finally tested her in the spring. She had expressive language and comprehension delays (among others). She was pretty delayed across the board acedemically too. I would request the IEP team to do a full evaluation to see if she should be placed in another classroom environment. My difficult child went to a transitional classroom for 2nd grade and then to her current setting in LDSC. She's learning at her pace which lessens the frustration.

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
Like DaisyFace above, I have a difficult child with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (Auditory Processing Disorder). He was first screened by an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) (speech and language pathologist) privately and by the school. Both agreed he had the learning disability, but needed to wait for an Audiologist to confirm.

Well, most Audiologist will not test until age 7 due to the complexity of the testing. So at age 7 (third grade) he was tested and the diagnosis was confirmed.

The school accepted the diagnosis and while he did not qualify for an IEP (long story) he did qualify for a 504 plan. His 504 plan has many classroom modifications to help him.

We also did several therapies and tutoring out side of the school.

So, based on your post, I would recommend (in writing) the school's Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) screen your daughter for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and give her a basic hearing test. Then I would try to find an Audiologist in your area that does Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing. But remember, they may ask you to wait until she is 7.

But in the mean time, here are some resources.

My favorite Special Education info web site is Wright's Law.

My favorite book about Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) is "When the Brain Can't Hear" by Terri Bellis. Amazon has it and also check your local library.

Also, there is a home base therapy program to try - Earobics. Some schools have the program but there is also a home-based program.

If you have any additional question about Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), please feel free to drop me an email off group.

Marguerite

I suspect ST = Speech Therapy.

It would fit. It can be organised privately, with the speech therapist of your choice comnig to see her either at home, at school or both.

Marg

TerryJ2

I agree with-what others have said. It is possible and probable. I'm glad she's caught up but she's going to have to work extra hard if she continues to work in a group. She sounds a lot like my son! He's bad at math, too, and has processing delays. But he fakes his way like you wouldn't believe. :) I wish he wouldn't do that.