IEP set for 1 week after due date

lordhelpme

ok here in mich they have 30 school days to test and convene iep. well i received a letter stating that the iep is set for mar 15. when you include snow days the 30th day is mar 7. i was orignally told we would be convening this wk but cuz we have had 4 snow days they set it back.

so do i send a letter requesting it to be moved to an earlier date? the problem is that we have a 3 day school wk next wk with-one day for conferences(so 4 in session days). I am so pissed at some :censored2: they are pulling with-having a behavior plan in place for 2 wks and then having a review mtg when we have only had 3 days of school each wk for the last 2 wks(again due to snow and holiday off). they set a tentive date for last friday for review but no one confirmed it with me except for an email from the principle the nite before which i just got today cuz i was working fri, sat and sun. so they had the mtg but i have not seen anything from it. i don't know what they covered as i have not seen them implement anything on the behavior plan. i
i did learn my lesson about details though. even though we all decided difficult child going to the office was not acceptable that is where he has been sent twice in the last wk. it just states a 'private safe place' when he turns aggressive.

now the principle is asking for us to pay for a $63 ceramic goose that ian broke in his meltdown as per the student handbook for disregard for personal property. hello what was he doing in your office to begin with in an area that obviously was not safe for a child in his state?!?!!?!?! so i would like some advice in that area please.

grr why do they make it soo hard? the principle even made the comment to me today "i don't see the medications working, do you? are you sure he is BiPolar (BP)?" so i had to explain about starting with-a low dose and working up to a certain level after having blood tests and that some medications work and some don't. boy the BiPolar (BP) site i visited was right when they said YOU have to educate the sd!

so what is your advice about the iep and the restitution for the goose?

SRL

I can't answer the meeting timing question, but I do have an opinion on the goose. Personally I would pay it this one time. But as I was handing the principal the cash I would let him know that I was going to follow through with my responsibility as a parent and pay for the broken item according to the student handbook guidelines. And then I would let him know that in the future I expected him to have a safe place to take my son during meltdowns or the district would be taking their responsibility and footing the bill should he be hurt by decorative ceramic objects and the like being in inappropriate locations. ;-)

Our school houses a population of students that on occassion have some pretty serious meltdowns, need restraint by principal, etc. The office is set up so that behind her desk is principal's private area--she has what she wants behind there. In front of the desk is the area she deals with kids. Table, chairs and not much of anything else.

Sheila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they set a tentive date for last friday for review but no one confirmed it with me except for an email from the principle the nite before which i just got today cuz i was working fri, sat and sun. so they had the mtg but i have not seen anything from it. </div></div>

I need some clarification. Is this an IEP meeting you are referring to? If yes, do I understand correctly that you received notification of the meeting the night before the meeting?

JJJ

I wouldn't pay for the goose. This was not "willful destruction" this was an ill child in the middle of an episode. If you pay for it once, they may be able to say that you acknowledged that you are responsible for the damages he causes when raging even if staff doesn't use good judgment.