IEP Timeline

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Isn't the district supposed to provide a copy of the modified IEP by 10 days after the meeting?

If that is correct, and they mail the IEP, can they mail it within 10 days and be in compliance? Or does it have to get to me by 10 days?

T

TeDo

I believe they have 10 days to get it in the mail to you. I also believe, but am not 100% positive, that it is 10 business days. Then, depending on your postal system, allow 2-3 days for delivery. When you do get it, check the postmark. I am in a small, rural area and ALL our mail gets processed through a city 3 hours away and I still usually have it the next day, 2 days at the most.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They mailed it to me on the 10th day calendar day (not business day). I got it on the 13th day after the meeting.

The date in the IEP as given to the parent is filled in and printed as the 7th day after the meeting, but has been penciled over with the 10th day.

So now I'm wondering...did they get it to me in time? And more importantly, did I get my response back to them in time? They got my response on the 10th calendar day after I recieved it..

T

TeDo

You have 14 days from the time you receive it to get it in the mail to them. If it is postmarked the 10th day and you recieved it on the 13th day, you have until the 27th day from the meeting date to mail your response. Whether it is the 7th day or the 10th day that they sent it, they were still "timely" in getting it to you. Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend you put a "date received" in pen on ALL correspondence you receive from them. Then there is no question if they try to say you didn't get it to them in time. You can't control the postal system any better than they can. That makes it fair for both sides. Just to save myself this same headache, I tell them to call me when it is ready and I go pick it up and then I hand deliver my response as well. Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
Shari, the ladies on the Sp Ed forum are up on this stuff. We have always been told that ANY time frames are calendar days and NOT business days, otherwise the time frame set up to get evaluations done and then meetings done would stretch out far longer than is reasonable.

If you got it back to them on the 10th calendar day then it was more than likely in the allowed time period. If you still have the envelope, that is important. Otherwise note it down that you received the letter on the X of Sept, 2010 and that was Y days after the IEP meeting. You returned the paperowrk on Q date, Z days after you received the documents.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I haven't been able to find anything definitive on calendar vs business days, but I think it almost has to be calendar days.

My response to them was postmarked on the 9th day after I received the IEP.

I dunno. They just better not make an issue of the date...being that the date on my copy is almost illegible (until last night, I thought it said the date that I actually received it in the mail....so did the advocates; looking at it much closer last night, I think it is the date it was mailed).