If I have to watch...

mstang67chic

Going Green
...this dvd of Family Guy episodes one more time, I'm going to scream! difficult child pulls this thing out occasionally and watches it continuously for days on end.

"But Mom...they are different episodes"

"But Mom....I like it"

"But Mom...I didn't watch all the episodes last time"

But difficult child..........I DON'T CARE!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I like Family Guy but after having seen this thing more than anyone should.......I'm sick of it.

Christy

I've have banned certain movies because difficult child has watched them too many times. He is usually not interseted in watching it, he just thinks that he is and then is bored and rolling around on the floor or jumping off the furniture.

meowbunny

I used to give my daughter my old laptop and let her watch whatever in her room. If she didn't like watching it on a small screen, she could either earn time to watch it in my room or go over a friend's and watch it there. The family TV was off limits -- it was for things we both agreed to watch or one could use when the other was not home. (TV had been removed from her room when she was about 10 and didn't return until she about 18.)

Personally, I would not destroy the DVD unless I had warned her it was going to happen. To me, it is a matter of honor and trust. I refuse to sneak around my daughter to get what I want (and I'm the one with the issue of her watching the same thing over and over, not her) and "losing" or "damaging" her DVD because I don't like it just doesn't seem right. Once she figured out that I was doing this to her things, she loses some of her trust for me. To me, trust is a big thing and it goes both way -- I may not be able to trust my child but it is important to me that she feel she can trust me. Of course, if she were to watch her movie in the family room outside of the rules, the DVD would be tossed, but she would know it was a consequence and she would know what happened to it. There would be no question.

I don't mean to sound sanctimonious or self-righteous, but this is one thing that has always bothered me -- the willingness by parents to get what they want by going behind their child's back to get it. Yes, it's easier. Yes, it works (at least when they are younger). But that doesn't make it right.

wethreepeeps

difficult child only likes four movies, period. The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Cars, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and The Polar Express. I've seen them so many times that I could probably quote the entire movie for each one.

witzend

With L it was Dire Strait's "Money for Nothing" that we banned from the car stereo. "I want the MTV song!" I love that song, but not all day long in a car!

M it was "The Princess Bride". I love that movie too, but not every day.

Did I mention that I can still 21 years later quote "Where the Wild Things Are" word for word?

"The Night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind or another, His mother called him "Wild Thing!" and sent him to bed without any supper. That night, in his room, a forest grew. And grew. And grew. Until the ceiling hung with vines and the walls became the forest all around..."

I was really happy when we discovered "George and Martha", the hippos.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

For us it is spongebob...but I am lucky. I have other adults who are more than happy to watch hour after hour of this junk.

I never liked cartoons and I havent grown any fonder of them as I have gotten older. I had a friend who had a niece who was in love with The Lion King. That child watched that movie at least 4 times a day and cried buckets at the end everytime...ohhhh mooofusaaa diesssss! I guess that is who died...I never could make it completely through the movie...lol. She cried for twenty minutes and was like...watch again!

Right now we dont watch videos much except on car trips. We save the dvds for those special treats.

susiestar

Roll With It
meowbunny, I usually don't lose the videos with-o telling my kids they were going to disappear. Often, putting them away - on the shelf where they belong in the DVD case made the kids think they were "lost". That is more what I meant. Not to break the video. I should have explained more.

My kids, esp Tyler, cannot seem to find ANYTHING that has been put in the proper place. I am mystified by this, as often THEY get to help decide where the proper place is! If we have sat together, talked, then gone and created the space for the item - and they STILL come crying that it is "lost", well, I have no sympathy. And it does often get a break from an overwatched movie. Even with my almost 17yo Wiz!

SaraT

When I get tired of watching a DVD I send the kids to another room. We have a small tv we take in the camper, and in the winter it is in easy child T's room. They can go in there and watch the movie all they want and I don't have to.

Another sloution I have used is to have the kids each pick a movie to watch as a family, but I get veto rights if it has been watched recently. That way there are 3 movies, not the same one over and over.