If it Weren't so Ridiculous - it Might Actually be Funny...

Marguerite

If you have been alerting caseworker via SMS or email (email is preferable) then make sure you keep copies. Next time caseworker says, "She does that?" in surprise, point to the records you are keeping and the clear information you have been passing on. You could even ask, "Can you please confirm that I have been sending this information to the correct email address? Here are the copies I have sent you, if you haven't got clear records to match mine, that could be a problem for you further down the track, with other people not so supportive of you as I am."

It's a way of gently warning her that her failure to follow through or even take note or keep records, will come back to bite her, hard.

And if she is still thick - then come back and bite her, hard. Send a complaint letter off with copies of the emails you have sent, plus your observation that nothing has been done to support you in such a simple area (a lot more simple tan the impossible goal of trying to prevent any damage to other family members).

Many years ago, I had a job which required me to liaise with trades staff and other outsiders to our department. We had serious safety issues in our workplace, and "pet" tradesmen we had to use. I was a woman trying to get results from a bloke-oriented workplace, and the patronising I got! I would ring for a plumber to fix a badly leaking sink, for example, that was flooding the laboratory below. And the plumber would say, "I'll definitely be there, first thing tomorrow."
Tomorrow would come - no plumber. The next day I would ring back and the fellow would deny he had said he would be over. So I began to take notes during every phone call. I had a big red ledger that I used for my notes; I would write the date, write the name of the person I spoke to and often I would quickly write what they said, verbatim, if it was relevant. After I started doing this, I started to get results. The reason - I was really scaring these tradies when I could tell them in a phone call, "I spoke to you last week - your name IS Frank Peters, isn't it? And you said, and I quote, 'That flamin' sink has not been right since my offsider put in a new tap, I'll be over first thing in the morning to work on it for you, I guarantee it.' And it is now a week later, the people downstairs are still complaining and want to know who I have been dealing with. They are far more senior than I am, and if they begin to kick my rear over this, I will have to ensure your rear also gets kicked. So can you see your way to resolving this, for all our sakes?"
Being able to quote these guys was what really scared them. If I was sure I had got their words exactly, I would write it down in quote marks. Otherwise I used my own code to indicate the gist of the statement. But these guys got the message - I was accurate, I was persistent, and in the long run it was easier to give me what I wanted, fast, and get me out of their hair.
I ended up developing a good working relationship with these tradies, they learned to respect me as an equal and not some annoying broad.

I've since used the same technique when dealing with education officials and doctors. Works a treat!

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
DF, every time there is a meeting here at the house I make up a pot of coffee, have bagels or make some muffins. The meeting begins with a bit of a chat about mental health case manager's young son. Risk management SW lets me know how her mum is doing & the CADI manager asks me advice on various canes & walkers because her father needs these items. Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) manager inquires about my golf & share how his season is going.

It's all very friendly. Then begins the discussion of kt &/or wm & their antics/updates. Inside I'm begging for suggestions or interventions for this or that for the tweedles yet I find that I can wait as I'm truly interested/care about our mental health care team. When the meeting actually begins it's in earnest & everyone around the table is listening & taking my concerns very seriously. Not one has mentioned a behavior chart. The goals are goals for life skills. The expectations that wm will not hurt someone or that kt will not run is just that ~ an expectation. And we come up with valid, appropriate consequences if those common sense expectations are not followed.

You're in the beginning stages of dealing with your "team". It's a teaching process - I've trained each & every one of the staff on my team over the years & I know that I'm respected because of the time I take to educate. Mental health case manager has called me for suggestions for his son's IEP. He's not trained specifically for that piece - I've taught myself & in turn, the members of my team.

I know you're worried & want your team to stop the silliness & get on with it. I did as well. I learned that it doesn't work that way & even if it did the tweedles weren't going to change over night just because we had staff here to work with them.

So, my dear friend, it's time to learn patience, detach & hone your sense of humor. Nothing will change over night; not your team or your difficult child.

Take care of you.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I know you're worried & want your team to stop the silliness & get on with it. I did as well. I learned that it doesn't work that way & even if it did the tweedles weren't going to change over night just because we had staff here to work with them.

So, my dear friend, it's time to learn patience, detach & hone your sense of humor. Nothing will change over night; not your team or your difficult child.

Take care of you.

Thank you, Linda--

Yes, I need to learn to be more patient. I am so ready for all this difficult child stuff to be over YESTERDAY! But you are right, even if they sent me the best caseworker on the planet....difficult child would STILL be a difficult child....and it will still be a process.

So hard to always remember that...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
UPDATE:

The county's MST person says that she can work with the State person IF the State hires a "mentor" to work directly with difficult child.

We still have not heard back as to exactly what the State is doing....so this may or may not work out...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
UPDATE:

The ridiculousness continues....

Idiot caseworker called me yesterday, (more than a month after my last update to this thread!), to tell me that now that she knows what some of difficult child's issues are....she can talk to her supervisor about possibly filling out the paperwork to get a Mentor for difficult child.

And just to double-check....what would I say was difficult child's biggest issue?

Me: The rages.

.....long pause.....

Caseworker: What? She does that?

klmno

I offer condolences. If it makes you feel any better you can read my old threads from last April or May (2010) about how much help difficult child's 20-something "therapeutic mentor" was in helping difficult child transition into the community and "teaching" him better coping skills and helping PO keep difficult child "monitored".

klmno

True- I'm sitting here today already feeling anxiety over the only two options being left once difficult child gets denied a group home being dss or back with me for another round of CSU taking over my life, costing me another job, and difficult child breaking my heart and costing me everything I have....again... only to have to see my son hauled away in shackles....again. And someday he'll probably be in an adult courtroom with a judge saying he'll have no mercy on difficult child because "look how much the juvenile system tried but difficult child continued to reoffend". And of course, if I go talk to a therapist about all this, the solution would be for me to go on anti-anxiety medications because the problem is really just that I'm anxiety-ridden. How that would help difficult child comply and succeed in the community I'll never know. I might be the only member of this board that believes there used to be better therapy available than there is these days. LOL!

::headdesk:: for you.

when this "mentor" materializes out of nowhere, please check to make sure it might actually be an appropriate "mentor".

we were offered a choice of two older male highschool teachers who apparently spend there summers "mentoring" for extra cash.....

for an at the time 11 year old girl.

the agency couldnt quite get my concern over WHY that would be the most ridiculously UNappropriate thing on the planet...

:-|

DammitJanet

we didnt call them mentors but I have no idea if its the same thing. Cory had a person who stayed with him about 36 hours a week...all during the school day and up until 4 pm. Sometimes even longer...up till 5 sometimes. His best one..we called them either techs or day friends...was this wonderful lady named Theresa who was about 260 pounds and African American. She adored Cory and he loved her right back. He listened to her for some unknown reason...I think he fully believed she would kick his behind into next week...lol. She worked with him from the time he was about 8 till he was about 10 then he got her back for a short period of time when he was 13 or so. Gosh we missed her when she moved away!

klmno

we didnt call them mentors but I have no idea if its the same thing. Cory had a person who stayed with him about 36 hours a week...all during the school day and up until 4 pm.

I'd call that an aide- I don't think DF is referring to the same thing- at least difficult child's wasn't someone like that.

susiestar

Roll With It
Df, they are NEVER going to have a clue as to what difficult child's problems are. They don't want to know so they won't listen to anything you say and then they will say it is all your fault for not telling them, loving her the right way, having two feet, breathing, having hair, or eating cereal.

I would insist on seeing a backround check and list of qualifications and references for a mentor at this point. Esp if it is a male. I don't think it would be wise or safe for either difficult child or a male to give her a male mentor. And often they are college kids who need a part-time job or a summer job. At least they are here.

HOw will a mentor help with her rages and other problems? These people are idjits.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daisy,

The state program that you are I believe still with has the ability and funding to request private counseling. Since you obviously do not feel this MST woman is just poking around or trying to build a relationship with your daughter as I sugested earlier, why can't you call them and suggest that this line of therapy is absolutely not working and tell them the lunacy that she is subjecting you to or at the least ask them to have THEIR psychologist travel or review the file?

I understand it - belive me I do. Everyone that you've been put in touch with so far? I'm not sure you've had a positive outcome with anyone. All b double o b boobs that i can remember. There is a state agency in Columbia that will listen to you call Protection and Advocacy. They don't mess around when it comes to things like this. There is also a legal group called Pro Parents that is state wide. They seem to have a better handle on helping parents that have been jerked around, but P&A gets the attention for all State and county agencies very fast. They are the voice to all handicapped kids like ours, and you will get a case worker. (like snap) Perhaps it would be a step for you to make a call to them just to see where you stand in this sea of morons.

I'm guessing my thoughts went over like a zeppelin with a concert high lighter flame - so maybe this will be of more help. I'm not suggesting that you aren't correct. Just trying to offer a different view, because we've had similar things happen in therapy - and we've had some DANDIES over the years with all the reverse psycho babble. I told you in SC you just never EVER know -

Hugs - Oh and a mentor? YEAH you - I don't know why everyone is so down on a mentor - YOU and daughter will get to interview candidates too - you DO NOT have to agree to take who they send out. It will NOT be a male. She will probably be from YAPS, or BBBS and more than likely she will take your daughter out of the house a couple times a week - and get her out of your hair - like a big sister. For us it was a GOOD thing. Until it wasn't like everything else here. (when the mentor started taking Dude to the hood to see baby Momma.....up until then it was great)

Marguerite

On the "You don't know how to show her you love her" angle - I had a major lightbulb moment on this yesterday, as it relates to you> And especially to Malika, I'll have to hunt her posts down and let her know as well.husband found a really great interview form a couple of days ago, on Sydney radio. It was Richard Fidler (one of our government radio broadcasters) interviewing Tony Attwood. It was absolutely brilliant, I strongly recommend you download the interview and load the MP3 onto your iPod.You have two weeks from last Friday to grab it.http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/06/17/3246425.htm?site=sydneyIn tis interview, Attwood also describes the rationale behind the "cold mother" theory, why it is so difficult to kill off (because too many psychiatrists, particularly in some regions and some countries such as FRANCE!) still subscribe to it. Because they make money from it. Attwood is doing his best to de-bunk this, and other garbage about autism and Asperger's. Especially the "they have no empathy" crud and the idea that it is metal illness. He said it is NOT mental illness, it is neurological. But of course, you can get problems like depression adding to the mix, because of everything the Aspie is trying to cope with.Go grab a copy of the interview before it gets taken down.Marg

klmno

Star brings up good points about the mentor. I don't know about your state agencies because I don;'t live in that state but it sounds, more and more, that all states are starting to follow a similar trend in how to approach families with difficult children.

As far as the mentor, for those who didn't follow my and my son's ordeal last year, I had no problem with the mentor himself other than that he rescheduled difficult child's time to fit in playing in a band and some other job, several times. But the company waited weeks before they hired enough people to have a mentor for difficult child after his release from Department of Juvenile Justice. And there was absolutely nothing therapeutic about it- the kid was as Susie mentioned was typical- a young person looking for extra money. Therefore there was really nothing he did that helped difficult child cope or anything along those lines. BUT it didn't hurt difficult child and gave me a little respite and gave difficult child time out of the house when he was on house arrest (the PO allowed him to leave with the mentor and with me- with me only because I'm a single mom). And yes, they do try to pick a mentor who is same gender and of similar cultural background. So as long as it's from an agency that does background checks and makes sure the mentor isn't a perp or something, it probably will be fine and give difficult child something to do and give you a break. But as far as it solving any difficult child issues, I wouldn't hold my breath. It should be in addition to some sort of therapy, not in llieu of therapy, in my humble opinion. This is another service that I think would be a great help to Jen and her young difficult child, too, because it would get her daughter out of the house and help her adjust to going places with someone besides Jen so maybe she becomes a little less dependent on Jen and it would free up a little time for Jen to do something else.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I will say this - The GCOC? (rolls eyes) We filled out a two page survey on what we felt a good match would be for Dude, as far as what we thought were things that he liked to do, his interests, his activitiy level, and his dislikes. Then we had to write out about a page or so of what we felt would be a good match. Younger, older, Grandpa type, middle age - hip, urban - you get the idea. Did we feel that it would be in Dude's best interest and did he relate better in our opinion to a person of his own color....which we were laughing at because to know our kids - was to know the white kid? Thought he was black and the black kid? Thought he was white. So no - it didn't matter.

We did all this work and they may as well have thrown it in the trash can. THAT was the part that jerked me around. Because (and keep in mind I was a large woman) They had a pool of people to pick from - because this was a high paying job, lots of applicants to choose from, and their choice? A 400lb older white man, that pulled up in a car older than mine, with his foster/soon to be adopted child that had more issues that Dude!! Okay so I can get over the fact that he was poor - we're not rich either. I've never judged a book by it's cover and the weight thing would NOT have been an issue except - The top THREE things that Dude wanted to do when he went out with a mentor? Ride a bike, Rollerskate, and either go fishing or play tennis. First thing this guy does is yell at his son - then he answers EVERY question WE asked the little boy as if he wasn't allowed to speak. Then he tells Dude - he'll be spending a LOT of time with this kid - playing video games at their house. Dude said something ugly, got on his bike and left. DF was in the house - came out to the patio and was like - "The man was touching that little boy like a pervert!"

So we called GCOC - and said "NO!" - Well they acted like this man was the BOMB for mentors and we should be thankful. I said -"Do you have any idea about the kid he had with him, and how he's parenting THAT child? NO --if that kid grows up anywhere NEAR normal? I"ll kiss you on the hood of your car on Main street and give you 20 minutes to draw a crowd." ----So they said they had ONE other - ONE? Really ----and we drive downtown to meet the equivalent of "HUGGY BEAR" from Starsky and Hutch - and when I say Huggy Bear - I mean 30 years later.....Silk shirt, alligator shoes, polyester pants.....and talking SMACK and JIVE trying to be "All Street" --and the kids were giggling so badly I had to get the caseworker to take them out of the office -and Dude was SUPPOSED to be getting to know him - and he was literally rolling on the ground laughing and said "YA'LL ARE KIDDING RIGHT" then the other one would pulll his pants up to his arm pits and walk like a pimp and talk smack - I mean even the secretary was trying her best not to laugh. So we said NO to that one too. It was like they were TRYING to peave us off.

Then we finally got this young Af-Am man - about 26 - and he was AWEEEEEEESOME! Came to the house - took Dude skating, biking - basketball - rollerblading - and this went on for MONTHS - and in those months? Dude would come home those days and it was like - he had gone out with his big brother - The GCOC gave him an expense account - and they would go to the mall - get a few things for DUde have lunch - and it was wonderful. We gave them money too - and he always gave us receipts. VERY COOL - until the guy started having problems with his girlfriend and was taking Dude to see his girlfriend and it wasn't that we found out about it and he left Dude - it all kinda happened at the same time - He put in a notice, told Dude he was sorry - told US he was sorry - never really told us what he had done - Dude did - about going to the ghetto and all - which hey - had you told me where my kid was - but it was done - and arguing with your baby momma while you are being paid to do something else - NOT cool.

We never got another mentor after that --but it really did give us a good break - and it helped Dude too - because they talked about how to treat family. (and then the baby momma yelling started lol ) and I'm not sure HOW that equated into treating family but....again - I think it can help.