If this makes sense -

Star*

call 911........call 911
you LET ME KNOW.

(a recap). Mother's Day came and went without so much as a call or card, or any mention whatsoever that it was a day for Mothers. Okay - fine.

Saturday I get a call - Dude hasnt left for the beach (see update on beach money post) and calls me saying "I have your Mother's Day present, come and get it." (it's an orphaned, injured baby opossum) LOVE THEM - so run to go help and rehab. He's past my abilities so call local wildlife shelter and make appointment. to have him seen. They take "Tarzan" and (Oh I called him Tarzan because his back legs didn't work and he swings from limb to limb in his makeshift home by his front arms) give him a pain shot and I'm to call about his case daily for updates.

So I am TRILLED that on Father's Day EVE - I get remembered. Really - I LOVE animals. This was a special treat to bottle feed and love him. I've had 2 other possums and other woodland creatures.

So I'm thinking to myself - HUH - I got remembered.

Then on Sunday like clockwork - Dude calls, asks to speak to his Dad and spends 10 minutes on the phone talking, laughing, and wishing him a Happy Father's Day.

DF said while he was honored he was remembered he was "sad" for me that I got no recognition a month ago. I smiled and held up Tarzan and said "I got remembered as a Mother - just not the way I thought I would be - like always, but he called ME to "fix" and "MOTHER" the possum." I thought that was neat.

DF said it makes NO sense to him - I could have gotten a card last month. I said seriously - If I could have gotten a card last month and NO possum this month - I would have waited for the possum. :D Then I realized what I had just said, and thought - YEAH, that's right. Possum vs. card - possum wins every time. lol. (oy)

Apparently my mind is such that it has gone on to the big woods. lol

-It's like that sock isn't Meowbunny?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I think our minds adapt to our kids? And we realize they just don't "work" like a Hallmark card!
I sent my Dad down in Cabo an E-Card, which is all I can do, I was hesitant... first in over 20 year? He wrote back immediately, The card, it said nothing more than, I hope you are having a relaxing day, or something to that effect. He told me he had been waiting for something all day...
My brother I don't think thought about it.
My husband called his stepdad, I am sure it means a lot.
But his Dad is like what ever... I feel bad I should have called my step-dad, I will today.
These people were a part of our lives.. so I think even though WE all have squewed thinking... I will take anything!
I believe you are at that point!
As weird as we all are... and I think we are. We are no Hallmark commercial.
I love the Possum, how much more of a memory that will last is that.
The Mother's Day Possum on Father's Day.
You have been so much more than a Mother to Dude. Maybe in his own way he was telling you that? He is your little Tarzan gimping through life, you have saved him....

Even if he didn't mean to tell you that, I am!!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez. My oldest easy child son is the WORST at doing anything like this. Heck...I even have a toll free number and he rarely calls. I'll go many months without hearing from him. I know I certainly didn't raise him that way, yet that is what he is.

I honestly think we live now where everyone is so scatter brained about daily life that they let things like this slip away, when in fact they are the most important things.

This is the first year in my life I didn't send my dad a card. I work in a flipping grocery store and didn't get him a card. I feel so bad. He always loves my funny cards. I did call though, and we had a nice chat.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I dunno Star, maybe Dude knows you better than you think he does. lol And as I always say... better late than never.

in my opinion he thought of you when it counted, when it was important, when it came to life or death. (even if it was a lil critter) How much better can you get??

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
I tink it is neat that he thought of you with the possum. He clearly knows you and what your priorities are on this issue at least. (and baby possums are SO cute and adorable!! - where are the pics?????)

It is also neat that he remembered DF on father's day. themonth late, well, I dunno.

My mom had to literally FORCE my dad to celebrate holidays with us. He felt you should show your love and appreciation EVERY day, not just a few days a year. BUT it is important to teach children to receive gifts graciously AND give them to others. We do holidays when we can be together, NOT on a specific day. This makes married life easy for ME because husband's family feels the specific day is crucial. So we can do a holiday with them on the day, and if we do it the next day or next weekend, well, as long as we are all together it is all good.

Different families and people have different ways of expressing love, even on holidays. If it bugs you or df that he didn't say anything on mom's day then you (or df if he is the one bothered) need to say something to dude. Maybe he can put it on his calendar for next year????

Hugs, and give you new wildbaby a smoochie for Auntie Susie!

4sumrzn

Oh....I think it makes perfect sense! I'm so glad to hear you are happy with your belated Mother's Day gift!!!!! ;)

M

ML

It makes sense to us. I honor all of the mothers here for all you do. your strength and compassion sustain and inspire me daily.

meowbunny

Actually, nothing like the sock. I used the sock as an excuse because I wanted to do something with my daughter, not because she had done something. Your son actually thought of you -- baby opossum in need + Mother's Day = MOM! I think the Mother's Day part was rather bogus (probably ashamed that he didn't have any money and never considered how special a loving letter would be), but the knowing you and you being the first person he thought of to save this baby says a lot.

I'm glad he thought of you. It's the little things like this that make our days.

nvts

(..."hmmm, ok, mental note, in 7 & 1/2 months, tell Star* I have a baby possum and would she like to take care of it...hmmmm, juuuuuust might work...")

Star*

call 911........call 911
As long as I can carry her around in an oven mitt we'll get along! ;)

I called about our little "tarzan" he's doing much better now on steroids and pain shots.

I laughed and said - HECK who wouldn't. My humor went over her head like a flaming dog turd shot from wrist rocket by a kid riding a bicycle.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh I had a ricky the raccoon when I was 15 that I rehabed, I loved feeding him and loving him like my lil doll

Star*

call 911........call 911
The last raccoon we had here?

DF had just gotten out of the hospital and was in a turtle shell and using a walker. He was on a LOAD of pain medications. He would sleep most of the day and when he was awake, he was barely coherent enough to **** soup. Rehabbing a human is NOT nearly as rewarding as rehabbing a baby animal.

Anyway the doctor told him he HAD to get up and walk around. So we thought if we told him that there were raccoons in our dump truck he would make an effort to come outside and look, thus get him up and walking. So at dusk, he wakes up and me and Dude get him out the door with his walker baby steps at a time. IN DF's mind - he was so doped up - he thought he nearly didn't need that walker. Morphine is such a liar.

So out the door we went and somehow in the back of our dump truck (parked under a tree) this HUGE behemoth Mother raccoon and kits were foraging in the rubbish for food and not nary a bit scared or bothered by our distant presence. Until.......DF decided that in his medicated stupor raccoons should NOT be IN the dump truck bed eating our garbage. And what happened after that can only be remembered as one of the most hilarious moments this family has ever witnessed.

For whatever reason our own medicine man scooches his walker closer and closer to the back of the dump truck yelling in an almost drunken sounding voice, slurring words "Hay you scracookoons git ouda my trrrrrrrruck." and he stumbles forward with a cane waving wildly at the bed of this truck yelling over and over Scracookoons go on git. I tried to tell him he was peeving off this mother and that she HAD kits up there with her - but would his drug addled mind listen? nooooooooo. So here is this crippled man, in a turtle shell, pushing a walker, yelling at Scracookoons, waving a cane and all of a sudden as if they BOTH noticed each other at the same time - He turned and said "oh he((" and I looked up to see the LARGEST raccoon I have ever seen in my life jumping up and down wildly, chattering, and gathering her babies.....and heading down out of the dump truck and COMING to get the Scracookoon man. I stood near the house in utter amazement of his speed and all I can tell you is -

Man.........she was big and BOY he was fast.

TerryJ2

Your mind has gone on to the big woods? LOL.
Well, I can see where you're coming from. Still, I think it's nice that your husband thinks you should be better appreciated in a more traditional manner. He's standing up for you.
Does Tarzan have a jungle yodel?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Tarzan - barely spoke at all.

If you've ever rehabed a baby possum you would be aware of the hisssss (sounds like haaaaaaaasss) that they do. With a long jaw full of teeth and an open mouth they look formidable. They rarely bite. They have very few defenses in the wild other than "playing possum". A full grown adult will snap and try to bite, but more so than not? They will faint and play possum.

Tarzan is sort of an odd ball in the fact that he was so calm, and so mild mannered. They felt at first that he must be sickly, but said (to my credit) I did all the right things to make him calm.

I did NOT tell them I took pictures AND he actually posed for them. Quite a unique little boy indeed.

susiestar

Roll With It
What a cutie he sounds like!!

My parents' have a very very old cat named Shadow. When he first adopted them he would only come up to my dad. He was about 18 mos-2yo (the cat, not my dad) and seemed rather wild. He had been living with a family of possums for quite a while until my cat brought him home with her. He would only hiss like a possum for the longest time.

Possums have a pretty intimidating hiss at times, but it is kinda funny to hear a CAT that sounds like a possum. We joke that Shadow is bilingual.

Where are the pictures???????