If you could pick a perfect town for your difficult child to receive care in?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Where would it be??? and why? (We are not supposed to name facilities but we can most likely figure them out!)
As most know I looking to move and would like a long term wonderful place that has a great OPTIONS for mental health care!!! Tucson is now a slight maybe... we are going to e-mail Chicago and see if psychiatrist1 is still embedded in her research, or if she will take us back? and what that would entail???
We would like to be near a major airport so husband can get to work.
Obviously for us we need a team and the option of long term treatment where we aren't having to ship her off every stinking month or two.
i just want more than 1 option and the chance for decent care...

Any thoughts???
TIA
Smallworld reminded me to look in the Bipolar Child at the list of Clinics and Hospital that specifically cater to BiPolar (BP)...
I just think so many here have had the joy of actually being in these places for your difficult child or for other reasons and maybe not have lived in the town but got to spend time in it? Or read about it or heard about it....

klmno

Hi, Totoro! I live in one of those towns that has a place listed in the Bipolar Child and have taken my difficult child there for evaluation. They are very knowledgable- but not very easy to get a hold of or get a "leg" into. Anyway, I'm actually responding because I've been wondering the same thing- where would be a good place for difficult child (it has to be warmer- not colder!)

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread- it's a great question!

Jena

hi,

what about cincinnati? i heard they have a great facility there........

just a thought i'll keep you in mind though if i hear of anywhere else.

Jen

SRL

One of the things Chicago has going for it is that beyond what you would have there, you are in striking distance of cities that might provide other options: Milwaukee, Madison, Indianapolis, Champaign-Urbana, St. Louis.

SRL

One other thought to factor in--do your checking carefully because some of these states that have good reputations for serving a particular special needs population have had their systems overloaded by people moving into the state for that reason. Wisconsin and Autism is a current example.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
we are moving to Long Island from South Carolina - mostly so we can get jobs that actually pay lol!! But the other reason is they're supposed to have better schooldistricts that accomodate kids like ours. I nkow a bunch of schools public and private that are great. I'm not familiar with the hospital aspect but just wanted to throw in my thought - All I can say is don't mover her (to SC) they are useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dara

DammitJanet

My first thought was going to be the upper VA, MD area because of federal health organizations there that do ongoing research and Im quite certain you could get her into studies. Probably both kids.

Housing is outrageous though. You might have to look more into the Delaware or even Richmond area. I happen to be partial to Richmond and think they have good services but then again...my step sister happens to be head of pediatric nursing for VCU...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
Cincinnati's Children's Hospital is amazingly wonderful. They are super about getting kids IN, we never had trouble with the psychiatrist listening, though there were some grad students working with therapist who benefitted from our changing their perspectives!

I was so very impressed with every service we ever had there, even the ER visits, my daughter's 2 hernia surgeries (while waiting for surgery, or for a loved one to come out, there is absolutely NO food or drink in the waiting area. This is so the kids don't feel left out or deprived, and so they don't sneak food before surgery. It was so very nice to have NO food around to remind the kids as they waited to go in for surgery.

We got top-notch psychiatric and psychological care there.

And I have a bunch of relatives who are in the area!!!

Susie

F

flutterbee

I don't have the names of a specific doctor. However, my research when difficult child was spiraling found what appeared to be very comprehensive mental and neurological health care at a well-known hospital and university. I'm also aware of the same facility doing childhood BiPolar (BP) research as a classmate of my daughter's was participating in it. They flew the child out a couple times a month for care.

ck1

I sent a PM in response to this, but thought it might be helpful to others as well....

Pittsburgh is a great place for kids with a mental health diagnosis. If your child has a diagnosis (I have two, difficult child and my little easy child has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified) you can apply for MA, regardless of your income. Once you have MA, there are a multitude of services available that include wrap-around, family-based therapy, and many Residential Treatment Facility (RTF)'s.

Also, there is a Bi-Polar clinic (also listed in the book) that is very good and not impossible to get into.

I checked the mental health grades link that someone else posted and saw that PA received a D, however, each county is very different. My personal experience is that Allegheny County is very good. Hope this information helps someone...

BusynMember

I like living in Wisconsin. Not only do we have a great facility in Madison (for ANY disorder) but all the kids get health coverage and most places take Badgercare (Wisconsin's health insurance). It's not hard to get to see a good doctor just because you have state insurance. I love the care my son has gotten. They also have good adult services.