If you enjoy Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana...

DDD

I'm going for it. Thanks so much for sharing. In a million years I would never have looked for this but it sounds awesome and different from the same old, same old that I've been fixing. I'll report back. DDD :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
One tip, though: the recipe calls for 1.5 tsp of crushed red pepper... I recommend starting with just 0.5 tsp instead. It turned out with more than enough kick for our palates. You can always add more if you like it spicier.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
klmno, I think the only "Italian" flavor to it is the type of sausage used in the recipe. If you don't care for that, you could easily substitute a different kind. And definitely heed my caution about the red pepper flakes!

difficult child 2 came home from school yesterday and immediately recognized the smell. And when he discovered the pot of soup on the stove, he practically swooned with joy! :D That response alone was worth all the effort to me!

DDD

I cook collards, spinach and other greens but I've never cooked Kale.
Reading the recipe it sounds like you just toss the raw kale in the pot to
heat up at the end. It doesn't need to be prepared (deveined ?) or cooked for awhile before adding? Sounds easy, lol, but a little strange. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just strip the kale off the main stem and tear into bite-size pieces. Let it simmer for a few minutes to soften up a bit. The nice thing about kale is that it doesn't get mushy -- the cooked texture goes well with the other chunky ingredients.