If you ever have to have a ring cut off

Tiapet

Old Hand
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to have a ring cut off or have ever been in this situation, chances are you probably ended up at the hospital to have it done or thought that's where you had to go. Not so!

Just a day ago I found myself in this situation. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, well at least this is what I think caused the problem. Once in a while a finger will swell up around the middle joint but then go back down the next day. Usually another one on the opposite hand or another area will also be swollen as well at the same time. This time I that didn't happen at all. I have a ring on my middle finger of my left hand that I've worn there for a while now as it no longer fit my ringer finger of the same hand. It would fall off so I moved it up a finger since it had plenty of room.

As I said, I'm not sure of the cause but that finger and no other on either hand or any other area. It stayed like that for about 2 days or so. By the third day I was concerned and decided I had better get the ring off. Yeah, no! I could no longer get the ring off. It wasn't cutting circulation off but I couldn't get it off no how and the harder I tried the worse the swelling got. I left it alone for a while thinking the swelling I made worse would come back down at the very least. It didn't. I tried icing it, I tried sticking my hand in a bowl of ice water. I tried lotions to get ring off and anything that would grease it up well. I even tried something I read online that several sites had recommended (a dr. no less) of using dental floss thread under the ring leaving a tail and wrapping the finger tightly to effectively "squish" the swelling down and then you are suppose to slowly unwrap the floss using the tail that's left out from the other end of the ring which would basically make it spiral over the floss wrapped finger. NOPE! Man that REALLY hurt like heck (and the said it would too)!!!

I ended up with the ring causing cuts into my skin by then. So I did find, via google, that you don't have to go the hospital to get it cut off (and incur a hospital bill and the long wait of it, embarrassment, etc). Any jeweler or firehouse has the tool! They do it for FREE! So at 3A I had discovered this and I couldn't wait for the jeweler locally to open the next morning. By 10:15A the next morning my ring was cut off, for FREE and I had relief! :)

So next time you, your kid, or someone you know encounters this situation....now you know! :)

Nancy

That is good to know. I remember my mom had to have that done once when she ate fishand was allergic to it and her whole body swelled up. She did have to go to the hospital then because she needed a shot to take down the swelling but I'm glad to know the firehouse will do it for free if I'm ever in that position.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks to the kidneys I have a lot of issues with on and off swelling. I *thought* a jeweler should be able to, didn't think of the fire dept though. :) Good to know. (and I hope I never have to use the info either LOL )

I finally removed my wedding rings. Mostly due to swelling issues......and one day the finger was smaller and I seized the opportunity. I may have to watch for another opportunity for the other rings.....ugh

Nice thing is after jeweler cuts it off he can re size it for you. :)

donna723

I had to have a ring cut off one time and the PA in the clinic at the prison where I worked did it for me. He had this little device with a crescent shaped metal thing (with a groove in it) that slips between the ring and your finger, then the other part of it has a little abrasive wheel that fits down into the groove. It looked kind of a like a can opener. When you hold the two pieces together and turn this little knob, the abrasive wheel cuts right through the ring and never touches your finger! He had that ring off in just a minute or two!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good info... I got lucky and took my wedding rings off when they started to feel a little snug. Can't get 'em on at all now... I hope I don't have to have them resized when Bean gets here!

TerryJ2

A very good reminder.
I know this because both my mom and grandmother had to have it done, and the doctors told both of them that they were not in danger of losing the finger ... yet ... and to go to a jeweler. :)

LittleDudesMom

I remember, a long, long time ago, my mom and dad were out of town. I was playing basketball at a house across the street and my ring finger got "jammed". By later that night, my finger had swollen up and no way was that ring coming off. Our neighbor had a workshop in his basement and he took me down, got out his metal cutters, and cut that sucker off my finger! It happened to be a ring my parents have given me a number of years before so, when dad got back in town, he had it repaired for me -- I still have the ring!

Sharon

InsaneCdn

The other people who have the equipment for this are... the undertakers. Just sayin'. They did it for one of my relatives...

Tiapet

Old Hand
LOL, well I don't think I'd go to an undertaker for it but I guess if desperation called for it and I couldn't find a firehouse or a jeweler I'd HAVE to go there but....ewwwww!

InsaneCdn

The undertaker may be open in the evening... the jeweler (at least around here) is NOT. And around our part, the fire dept will not touch it unless they are there for other reasons (accident, fire). Which is how we found out about it!