IF you had a hardheaded husband who hates

DDD

In a zillion years I never would have guessed that popcorn was "curative".

He drank some more prune juice and took a stool softener. Let's hope he
is comfortable before the day is over. DDD

DammitJanet

Just eating prunes works good for me and hot coffee is a miracle worker for Tony. I know Im in trouble if I eat a box of prunes and nothing happens...lol. I love the cherry flavored prunes.

rlsnights

Late to the party as usual here. But this is the advice we got from one of the top docs in the country who has a clinic devoted just to treatment of severe, unresponsive constipation.

To restore regularity, use Miralax along with the usual dietary measures. If Miralax causes leakage add a product like Benefiber which will hold everything together without making it hard.

If this is a recurrent problem then he may need to use Miralax for several months on a daily basis so his colon and rectum can return to normal function after being stretched out by the accumulation of stool. (Sorry too much information I know but us parents of kids with constipation and Crohn's know ALL there is to know about poop and are not shy about proving it. :))

Once regularity has returned, have at least one 8 oz serving of one of the following every day:

Apricot Nectar
Pear Nectar
Prune Juice
Apple Juice

AND at least one serving (prepared any way you like) of:

Pears with the skin on
Cherries
Apricots

Avoid constipation promoting foods like:

Dried fruit
Applesauce (yes, it's constipating but apple juice isn't. Go figure)
Rice
Cooked carrots
Bananas

Hope things already got going and he's a happy camper now.

DDD

Thanks for the new information. I'm glad that nature has taken its course and husband is beginning to feel better. I'll print the thread so "the next time" :( he shows signs of traveling that same path.. I'll hand him printed instructions! :D DDD

N

Nomad

Sorry coming in late...glad things are better.
Great ideas here.
I too like the Magnesium supplementation.
Also like Activia Yogurt...just helps me with- a variety of things in that department.