If you were in a college soroiety or frat can you share? What do you think of them?

tishthedish

Yes, my Friday line up was Dallas and Falcon Crest, then Saturday was Love Boat and Fantasy Island. People could have TV's in their rooms of course, but the common TV in the basement of the house was the place to be! And as an adjunct to my assessment of sororities...our house had the largest pledge classes on campus. We were the biggest sorority. I think this is because we embraced a variety of girls. We were the "down to earth" girls. This chapter continues to be the largest on campus to this day. Sometimes the nice girls finish first.

I became president of that sorority and nasty, snarky comments during the pledge selection process were not allowed before or after my tenure. It could get you kicked out of the meeting. Since we had normal girls to begin with I have no memory of it actually coming to that point. Grade point average and extra curricular activities in HS are considered too because there are required meetings and activities for the house. You had to maintain a certain GPA because we didn't want to see people struggling to meet house obligations and then be on academic probation and possibly drop out of school.

Then there's the math. On a most campuses the very top number for a pledge class is about 20. A sorority house has so many rooms. The top consideration in the selection is how many seniors are graduating. If you have 12 seniors leaving you only have twelve beds available at 2 to a room. That's about average. Times that by 10 sororities on campus and that's 120 girls out of hundreds that rush sororities. Contrary to myth practicality over pettiness more often drives the selection. I am so sorry that so many had bad experiences. I know they happen, but maybe some of the reasons I've shared will make sense to some women or their daughters who have been hurt.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I was in a sorority. There were some houses at my school that may have loosely fit the stereotypes mentioned here, but mine did not, for the most part. I don't ever remember anyone even asking what my parents did for a living, pretty sure they had no idea (just as I had no idea what anyone else's parents did, other than one girl who was the daughter of a national sportscaster - that was kind of cool). I don't remember anyone not being accepted because of their looks, we had all shapes and sizes. I'm sure there was a financial question at some point, only because there are dues involved, and room/board if you lived in the house - they wanted to be sure they'd get paid, just as the school would. Academics mattered - had to maintain a GPA. Philanthropy mattered - many fundraisers. Most of the girls were cool but ultimately, if you put that many young women in one house, there is some inevitable cattiness. After 3 years I was kind of over it, and lost touch with most of the women. Still, I look back on it with many fond memories. I wouldn't change it.

Just remember that every group is made up of individuals. Some bad, some good.

JulieAnn

I know I'm really late to the party (so what else is new? ;))

Anyway, my daughter was in a sorority during undergrad. She's 27 now. I wouldn't let her join until her sophomore year. Wanted her to get the hang of living away, classes, homework, etc. It is more of an academic sorority. There were girls of many races, body types, etc. Really are great girls. They did a lot of volunteering and charity work. She started volunteering as Financial Sect'y for the chapter in her Jr. year. She lived in the house her last year. She still travels to see her sisters quite a bit and a few have developed strong bonds.

I think it was a terrific experience for her but everyone is different. They absolutely don't tell you who to date or what to do or wear - unless it's for a house function.

Being a single mother, it was a little tough coming up with the dues sometimes, but I'm so glad I did. It made her university experience a really wonderful one.