I'm baaack! husband's brain surgery a success, but...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
not without complications. First of all, the thing they went in to take out (cavernoma) -- well it looks like he has another one a little further back and in a more sensitive area :( So he's going to need annual MRI's to monitor it.

And although he was discharged last Thursday, I had to drive him the 50 miles back to the hospital late Friday because his pain level had been at about an 8+ since we arrived home. SO he ended up being readmitted through the ER and just finally came home today (Tuesday). He goes back on Monday to have the 26 staples removed from his head...

I had the pleasure of sleeping on a creaky, lumpy rollaway bed for a week (well, actually, the first night I got to sleep in a recliner in the ICU) and being woken up during the vitals checks, medications dosing, IV bag changes, and nursing shift changes right along with him. Not to mention the completely sleepless night on Thursday and Friday and the extreme distress Saturday while the nursing staff tried to pull their heads out and get him the right pain medications (they plopped him on the orthopedic floor instead of the neurosurg floor claiming not enough staffing). Add to that the stress of trying to keep his family from smothering him and making sure he got the rest he really needed, and trying not to worry about the fact that the difficult child's was probably not getting any homework done while the various grandparents were watching them.

SO glad to be home!

Next on my list is a meeting in the morning with a neuropsychologist to discuss difficult child 2's issues...

I'm ready for a vacation!

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad it went well. Very sorry about the 2nd tumor and the other problems.

Just my recommendation: let the teachers know about the surgery and let the homework issue go. It had to be very stressful for the kids too.

I hope they can keep his pain levels controlled during the recovery process. Also that YOU get some much needed sleep.

Hugs,

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I won't get on my soapbox about patient's being sent home too early thanks to insurance co's not wanting to pay for the long stays. Nope. I'm tempted, but I won't.

I'm glad the surgery went well. Hope the second one they found doesn't cause a problem. Sorry to hear about the 8+ pain. I hope that's better.

Don't be too rough on the kids if they didn't get much accomplished while you and husband were busy. I'm sure this has them stressed too, just not quite in the same way.

I certainly hope you can get some rest now, and husband too.

(((hugs)))

TerryJ2

Congrats that the surgery is finally over and that, after all that trouble, the pain medications are stable and staples removed. I know the feeling of sleeping on a cot ... luckily, the last time was for my mom and there were 5 of us kids to rotate.
I agree that you should let the teachers know what's going on so that the homework doesn't suffer too much. I know our kids' teachers would assign more in-class homework and less home-homework for that reason.
Get some sleep! Good luck to your husband.

tammyjh

Oh yeah...I remember the cot sleeping too. Did that quite a bit when difficult child was a baby and in and out of the hospital. No fun.

Glad that all went well and that he is home. I hope his recovery is a smooth one and that the pain diminishes quickly.

Fran

Former desparate mom
So glad that things are going forward and there were no complications so far. It's unfortunate that he still has to have repeat MRI's. Sleeping in the hospital isn't restful that's for sure. I kept all family out the day of surgery and let them visit for an hour the next day. I'm a mean mom but my easy child was my priority. I don't like crowds of people hovering in the hospital. Only husband and I the day of surgery and limited the next day.
Hope you rest up and husband does really well.

tiredmommy

I'm glad he's home and finally recovering (and you too!). Just think about the patients that don't have a loved one there to watch out for their needs. Get some rest!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{gcvmom}} I'm so glad that your prayers were answered and he made it through the surgery so well.

His pain is now under control I take it and you can slowly get things back to normal with some sleep and patience. Baby steps...one day at a time and all that.

I'm so glad for you~continued thoughts and prayers for H's recovery.

Star*

call 911........call 911
G,

I am so glad to hear that despite all the intrusive and uncomfortable times your husband and you are home. I hope from here on out you both sleep on beds of feathers with no pain, no discomfort; surrounded by prayers and well wishes.

I was laughing with you about the nurses waking YOU up. The last time I ended up in the hospital I begged to go home - and when WHY was the question - SLEEP was the answer!

Sending you good vibes for follow up visits to be all well.

Hugs
Star

busywend

Glad things are progressing along now. You DO need a vacation! I think you should plan on one in a year to celebrate getting through all this!

house of cards

I'm glad he did well for the surgery, I am sending prayers for a good recovery and pain relief. My sister is still recovering from her surgery and it was a year ago. You are very much in my thoughts.

nvts

I'm so glad he's on the mend! I wouldn't worry about the homework...consider it a free pass with all that you've been through!

Take a break...you need one of those "General Foods International Coffee" moments and relax. I'm fast learning that even if I did get to "insert job needed to be done here", there'd be more to do tomorrow!

Take care of yourself!

Beth

witzend

Phew! I'm exhausted just reading that! I'm glad to hear that his pain levels are under control, and that he came out of it safely. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you both.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm sorry I missed this earlier -so glad to hear surgery went well & that husband is on the mend; sorry there is a downside to this. Praying the yearly MRI's are just that MRI's & nothing more.

Get your rest, young lady. It's time when you can sneak it in, to be napping & caring for you.

LittleDudesMom

I'm glad that both you and your husband are home and that his pain is managed. Does sound like you need a vacation (or a clone).

Sharon