I'm becoming an old grouch

flutterby

Fly away!
Donna and Keista - on those posts where a friend comments on one of their friends statuses and you see it? Go to the right of the post, click on the drop down arrow, and select "unsuscribe from comments and likes". You'll have to do it for each friend individually, but it gets rid of that. You can also hover your mouse over your friend's name, then hover your mouse over the "Unsubscribe" button that comes up, then select "unsubscribe from comments and likes".

donna723

But if you click "unsubscribe", will you still see your friends posts? I want to see what they posted in general but not their every little comment on someone elses posts that I don't even know. I'm seeing all these pictures and posts from total strangers in my news feed just because my friend clicked "Like".

Right now I'm looking at a big picture of 18 jars of pickles made by a total stranger who is a Friend of one of my Friends who clicked "Like"! I mean, they're nice pickles and all but I didn't really need to see them.

flutterby

Fly away!
You don't unsubscribe completely, just to certain things. Using the second example I gave, if you hover your mouse over the unsubscribe button another list will appear. For example, I unsubscribe to "comments and likes", "games", and another one I can't think of off the top of my head, but I still see everything else - status updates, links, pictures, video.

keista

But if you unsubscribe from comments and likes, you won't see when they comment and like on mutual friend's posts.

Donna, at least you do think they are nice pickles. Irrelevant stuff like that, I currently have showing up in my ticker on the right hand side, which is one of the improvements I thought they made. The "stupid stuff" is over there and the status updates and a few other things are on my main page.

donna723

About the Facebook charging users rumors ... today a new version of the post popped up. The new one being passed around now is giving prices to remain on Facebook and it's saying there will be a link given tomorrow where you can pay! OMG! This could be a HUGE scam to get all those gullible people to put in their credit card numbers ...either that or all they will get is a nasty virusor fall prey to the hackers!

donna723

Kiesta, I'm getting it on the ticker thing on the right too, but I'm seeing the whole post, including pictures, on my newsfeed too. If a friend of mine comments on a post from a MUTUAL friend, I want to see it. But if they comment on or "Like" a post from a total stranger who is one of their friends but not mine, I could care less! I'm seeing all these stranger's baby pictures and family reunions and ... pickles!

keista

But if they comment on or "Like" a post from a total stranger, I could care less! I'm seeing all these stranger's baby pictures and family reunions and ... pickles!
Sadly there is nothing you can do about that. It comes from THOSE ppl's settings.

H

HaoZi

So hating the FB updates. Also, I <3 Snopes.com, I can browse around there for hours at a time.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If you unsubscribe comments and likes, they don't appear on your ticker. They still show up in your news feed though. too much information, in my opinion.

DDD

I'm not into FB etc, as I've said before but yesteray I got grouchy opening the mail. The department store that I use almost exclusively sent a long small printed communication. I mean long. Instead of tossing it in the garbage I took time to read it and mixed in the middle of lots and lots of small text there is a little chart that indicates what information from your account they are allowed to share. If you don't call their toll free number and exclude the optional areas they are authorized by default to basically share everything. WTH!

Recently we received a similarly long small printed communication from another card company that had buried in the text that they were increasing the percentage rate on unpaid balances. Why not send a simple double fold card with the bottom line info?? I'm assuming that 80% of the recipients don't spend thirty minutes reading these mailings and as a result they are vulnerable. It feels like it is "them" against "us". Similarlto your FB issues the changes are mandated and the user or customer is forced to figure out details or be a slave to the corporations. Bah! DDD