I'm getting worried...

tiredmommy

again. There's something up with Duckie, she's been extremely difficult since she was sick with the allergic reaction in September. Her peak flow numbers are good overall, but she really hasn't been sleeping well. She had been complaining about a tummy ache for a few days but that's resolved now. She told me yesterday that she feels really tense but doesn't know why.

But she's also been complaining about back pain on and off for the last few weeks. It's high on her back, on her left shoulder blade and wraps around onto her side. She was really in pain tonight and was pretty withdrawn while trick-or-treating. She said the walking made her back hurt more and she just wanted to go back and sit down. :(

And another weird thing: her feet have "shrunk" over the last few weeks. I can tell because a the new shoes I bought for her to wear with her costume fit her a few weeks ago and now, wearing the same hosiery, are a little big. This makes me think that her feet may have been a little swollen when they were purchased.

Something is wrong, but I don't know what.

H

HaoZi

I hope you find the cause soon and a way to help her. Mine has been complaining of foot pains that keep her from sleeping the last 3 medications, and nothing seems to help. Tonight she said her feet were "bloated". She's the same age as yours, too (and was a scout but can't handle it right now). I always feel so helpless seeing her miserable like that, so I know how you feel. Yours is a dancer, could she have sprained something?

tiredmommy

I thought, perhaps, she pulled a muscle carrying her packpack or perhaps while swimming. But, she is wiped out. A muscle strain wouldn't cause that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Any burning on urination or frequency in needing to go? She could have a kidney infection, which would explain the swollen feet and her overall feeling sort of yukky too. I know most people don't think of high back pain as kidney but that type of pain can radiate to all sorts of places. Once I had it shooting up to my shoulder blades and down one leg so bad it had me in tears.

H

HaoZi

Not sleeping well can do that, as can trying to "compensate" for pain by carrying yourself differently, but I'd get her to doctor.

KTMom91

I was also thinking kidney infection. I didn't have the frequency or burning, just strange back pain, and my gall stones were found during an ultrasound for kidney stones.

H

HaoZi

I didn't even think of kidney/Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) issues, and most kids are really reluctant to talk about some of the more private symptoms.

susiestar

Roll With It
My first thought was kidney problem. Whatever it is, she really needs to be checked out. Be sure that they check her kidneys. If they do an ultrasound of her kidneys, ask them to check her ovaries while they are in there. Just in case. They are fairly close and checking the ovaries to rule out problems with them should be simple.

busywend

I have no ideas, but keep us informed with what the doctor says. I hope she is better today. What a downer that she could not even enjoy trick or treating.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Has Duckie been having frequent or consistent asthmatic problems or overall difficulty breathing? Has she been on rounds of prednisone or doing breathing treatments?

One of the things about having asthma and taking asthma medications is that often, due to the strain of breathing or doing daily breathing treatments, the upper muscles of the back ache - it's like a constant ache that just wears you down physically and you just want to lie down. Massage helps a lot and moist heat also. In addition, taking asthma medications often gives me that tense feeling inside and makes it difficult to get a good night's sleep. In fact, with my recent chest infection, the only thing that helped me sleep at night was taking the Tussionex - it took me nearly a month to get back to normal and I'm still taking 2-3 breathing treatments a day which give me that uneasy, tense feeling inside, which in turn makes it difficult to sleep well. My stamina is not normal yet.

Edited to add that inflammation is very common with asthmatics as it affects the entire immune system. I battle inflammation especially when my asthma is acting up and I'm taking extra medications for it.

I agree that I thought kidney infection when I first read your post, but these other things related to her asthma popped out at me as well. I hope a visit to the pediatrician helps.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. She slept a little better last night and while she's still sore, she's not in excruciating pain. I have a feeling that Jo has the answer on this. I'm going to keep a close eye on her for the next day or two and call the doctor if she starts to worse again. I would have taken her today if she didn't seem a lot better this morning.

Mattsmom277

Hope she continues to just improve on her own, but glad you will get her checked if it comes back up again. I know for me, kidney or bladder issues do wax and wane. Sometimes they became so much worse simply because I'd keep thinking I was fighting it off on my own due to the periods where it seemed to go away or the pain would decrease. I also remember with my easy child, she had off/on symptoms for weeks when her appendix was acting up, and we never had a clue because she'd suddenly seem fine again. Until she had 2-3 hours of howling pain, and even though it faded she was taken to the ER and within an hour she'd been admitted for emergency appendectomy. Funny, it took over 14 hours waiting for the surgeon and the pain was all but gone during that time. The surgeon explained that we were lucky we didn't let it go since the pain stopped, because it was shocking to her that the appendix hadn't burst that day and it would have been deadly if it had burst while she and we were all sleeping. (Not saying its something serious with your kiddo, just sharing my reasoning that I tend to get the kids looked at when symptoms keep coming and going nowadays, abundance of caution lol)