I'm going to hang my shingle

flutterby

Fly away!
PCA called me today and said, "You diagnosed me. You were right."

She has PCOS. I told her a couple of months ago that she should see an endocrinologist and talk to him about Cushing's and PCOS.

Then she said, "I went to you because you're always right."

:surprise:

I said, "Ohhhhhh, you don't want to tell me that. I already always say that I'm always right." :tongue:

Then I asked her if she is now on this medication and that medication. And she is.

Later, easy child and his DF asked me if I knew what Chimerism is. I just looked at them, kind of in disbelief. "Yes, I know what it is." It's *extremely* rare. And DF needed me to explain it to her for her biology paper (of course, she also used Scientific Journals, she just didn't understand what they were talking about).

I'm thinking I was soooooo in the wrong field when I was working.

Now, if I could only diagnosis myself.......:whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:

Marguerite

I'm not surprised, Heather. You've had enough practice.

Same here. I used to work in a medical school and part of my job involved checking over the exam papers and adding up the marks. I used to read the answers too and sometimes try to work out why the examiner had marked them the way he/she had. A few times it meant I was able to go back to the examiner with a paper that had been marked incorrectly.

Later on I was studying the same topics and all that analysis of the exam papers helped me out.

I read a lot. I write some. Plus hanging around people with disabilities has taught me a lot just from listening to them. Having raised a houseful of autistic people has exposed me to it a lot, especially since a lot of their friends are on the spectrum in some ways. My kids now say I see autism under every rock; I say that's because I've lived with it so much, I recognise it very readily. It's far more common than stats would back up because a lot of people, especially the parents of my kids' friends, are too old to have been diagnosed with Asperger's, the label just wasn't understood when they were of an age to be assessed. I'm convinced difficult child 1's mother in law is Aspie. She is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but has that total open honesty with it, a thoroughly nice person although very uptight and infuriating. Because I know how to "mesh" with spectrum people I can get on well with her and just quietly roll my eyes if she's worse than usual. difficult child 1 thinks she's great, he gets on well with her. No surprise, Aspies generally do find something kindred in one another. I do think that's why daughter in law was attracted to difficult child 1 and understands him so well. At least he's not as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as her mother!

At difficult child 3's drama class, there was a kid with Prader-Willi. I knew about it from my studies in endocrinology and the mother was surprised I understood. But listening to her talk about other problems, I had never seen it from that point of view before and found myself learning a lot more. The kid stopped coming to drama class when we was moved into residential care - he needs constant close supervision and the family needed to sleep some time... very sad. But she said he's very happy, they do get to see him a lot but he probably will never live at home again. He's 10 years old... it makes me very glad to be only dealing with autism.

Marg