I'm Hunting.............

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sadie started a spark in me. While she didn't "fit" well, mostly due to age..........The longer I watch Molly, the more I know time is running out. I'd like to deny it, but I do need to be realistic about it. The aspirin is helping with the pain.....but there are other issues and if she does well beyond a year, I'll be surprised. Personally, I think it hoovers that our furbabies don't live as long as we do. :sigh:

Sooooooooo. I've been looking. I'm picky. I know what I'm looking for and I won't accept less. Cuteness doesn't affect me. I've never yet adopted a pup simply because it was cute. All pups are cute in their own way. But a dog in my family isn't just a companion or someone to spoil rotten, it has a job, and that job is to protect me and mine as best it can.......even if that is just by being intimidating and barking their head off. I know the type of personality I want......and I know how to spot it in a pup.

I've been looking but not overly anxious. In all honesty, before Sadie arrived..........well, let's just say I've been looking on and off for quite some time. Just not very seriously. But one never knows when the pup you're looking for will be found. Know what I mean?? Sadie, though, sort of slapped me across the face with Molly's health.........and I've been looking more seriously. I'd have loved to have had Sadie, but she was just too old to adjust to Molly being boss. I know I have to go much younger..........and I know that eventually any pup is going to question Molly's spot, but by the time that happens, she'll probably have passed or need to be put down. I'd like Molly to help me train the new pup, she does an excellent job. If I wait too long, that won't be possible.

I had narrowed it down to 2 breeds, no they didn't have to be purebred, but I wanted something with those breeds because I know both of them fairly well. Which means I know what I'd be dealing with per exercise, training, ect. I'm a bit too old to go with an "unknown" factor. So I wanted another german shepard (although I actually preferred mixed) or a great pyranese (mixed or not). The search didn't seem promising. If I found pups, they were too old. I know many believe that pups shouldn't leave mom until around 12 wks.........but I'm old school and I want them as close to 6 wks as possible. I want to be Mom, boss, no doubt in their minds. I've had much better luck with this at younger than 12 wks. AND I've found house training to be much easier as is crate training.

Until today.

I've located a litter of great pyranese pups, both mom and dad are on the property. No papers. (not that I care, I'm not breeding) Seven weeks old. Re-homing fee isn't too bad. It will be a drive because I'll be going to kentucky. Tomorrow after Travis' disability eye appointment in cincy we're going down to check out the single female pup. This does NOT necessarily mean I'll adopt her. Like I said, I'm picky. So picky in fact that when the girls adopt a dog they take me along to help select it for personality. (although I told easy child I won't do it for her again until she has a fenced in yard and time to care for it) So if this baby girl doesn't quite have the personality and intelligence I"m looking for........we'll just head back home and I'll keep looking.

I feel sort of bad because I had hoped it would work with Sadie. But it is what it is. I'm not overly thrilled with going through puppyhood again........but Molly is getting worse and I am running out of time. I know I'm not going to find another "Molly", just as I didn't find another "Holly"..........it's the personality type and intelligence level I'm looking for, not a clone.

I'm actually surprised I found this litter. So we'll see what this baby girl has to offer. If I adopt her, I'll post pics as soon as I can get some.

InsaneCdn

Both have strong territorial tendencies.
GS, you're right, is better in a mix - especially with a strong pack-protect... GS tend to protect the territory, while others like lab tend to protect the pack (I've had that mix... great dog).
No experience with the other one, though.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OH WOW...

See if the father's name is "Rascal" or "Joker" ("le fool")... Or grandfather/great... I'm not kidding... husband's family had Pyrs and they went to Cincy then KY... And now I have to tell husband that there are Pyrs around...

rejectedmom

Good luck. I have been having the same thoughts and searching Petfinder and the internet since my pooch is in the same condition as your Molly. I went the other way and decided to wait and see if I still wanted a dog a few months after Mugsy leaves us. I looked into the Great Pyranese BUT I don't want a drooler/shedder again. My basset sheds alot and continually. it is exhausting trying to keep up. -RM

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step, if he'd like a boy............she has several. I have her holding the girl for me. :) Rowdy won't accept another male in his pack, no matter how young they start out.......once they're older there are issues........and I have no clue how long he'll be around although I don't doubt he won't be far behind Molly. (did I just say that wrong? It looks odd)

RM, you're thinking like I was before Sadie showed up. But then I remembered I do like Molly to help train, you should see her......she does an awesome job........and I know I can't be dog free. Not to mention the protection aspect. My trusty shotgun is useless if I'm not aware of someone sneaking about. Know what I mean?? So Sadie took this issue out of the back of my brain and shoved it to the front.

My other choice was a german shepard st bernard mix about the same age, but no way was I driving clear up near Cleveland. That's just a bit too far. We're only about an hour from these folks so it's not too bad. Makes me chuckle a bit. I drove a long way into the hills for Molly.........it was more than worth the trip.

Only thing is I'll have to keep easy child at bay so she won't go all gaga and try to get one for herself. The boys will be with us...........so you can imagine.........But she doesn't have her fence yet and the pregger/momma cats would have a holy fit. Would be a good breed fit for them though.......in the future, not now.

And the timing is better. Darrin's last day of school is today. I'll be watching the boys here now instead of easy child's house.......gives me much more time with the pup and will give her lots of socialization. I'm sure the boys won't mind helping burn off extra puppy energy. lol

Jody

I want another Golden, or a maltese. I also love a corgi. Does anyone know much about the maltese and corgi's. I have a Golden Retriever, Broady. I can't get another big dog though.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jody, Nichole's in laws have a corgi. They love it to pieces but swear the breed is as dumb as a box of rocks. I can't say one way or another..........as I don't get the impression either of her inlaws have the first clue on what to do with a dog outside of house/crate training. Corgi's are used to help herd cattle, believe it or not, so they can't be quite as dumb as her inlaws make them out to be. If you get one, lots of exercise will be in order........but pet's mart has herding balls....hard plastic balls they push around the yard that help a ton. Molly has had hers for 9 yrs and is so attached she worries about the thing. lol

Jody

I think Broady would love another dog to play with, and the thought of having another dog sounds like fun at times for me too, but sharing my Broady and my time between two dogs and my affection, and play time. I am thinking I might just wait. We'll see what happens. Sometimes they adopt us.

InsaneCdn

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go. Hey ho the merri-o, a hunting we will go.

Hmmm... now that you've whetted our appetite... please keep us posted!

Meanwhile, maybe you need to turn those friendly kittens into "watch cats"?

DammitJanet

Lisa...just take my pup! I will bring her to you! I have one left. One. I need to get Ziva a good home and I know you would be that good home. She is absolutely adorable and I have already started trying to house train her. She comes in twice a day and hasnt had an accident yet. She is a brindled pup. She is spunky little girl. You can change her name if you want because she is young enough. I just named them after NCIS. She is dark brown and black stripes with a black muzzle. Loves her toys. Doesnt get on the furniture and in fact, hates it if I lift her up and put her on the couch. She does play with my little dog Buddy but if he gets tired of her and growls or walks off, she just grabs a toy and goes and plays with it.

Dont you want my puppy? LOL

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Janet. You're tempting me terribly. But here, there would be an extremely high risk of someone stealing her.

We had a lady nearby giving away a litter of a similar combo I spotted not long before the GPs. Again I was tempted. And I thought no, not in my current neighborhood. Just too risky. We have at least 2 dog fighting rings a block away. Authorities have yet to be able to catch them at it. Doesn't mean they don't know they're there.

Your baby girl is so adorable, her sweetness ooses through her picture. by the way, I LOVE the NICS names.........I'm a fan of the show too.

That stealing thing is why I'm leaning more toward mixes too, instead of pure breeds. Folks also snatch dogs out of yards that are pure bred in hopes of using them in puppy mills or to resell them. I've seen this jump too since the unemployment jumped. They don't pay much mind to mixes, unless they're wandering around loose.

DammitJanet

The fighting is why I made sure mine went to good homes. I cant imagine mine fighting anything other than a stuffy. Or my toes! They have their baby teeth so they are chewing on everything plus bull dogs chew constantly. I should have had my camera ready last night because Abby, Ziva and Buddy all three had one stuffy in their mouths and were pulling it in three different directions...lol. Buddy was losing! He never played like this with their mama because she was never a playful dog. She didnt do toys. So much different.

DammitJanet

Im really working on trying to get Tony to let me keep both of them. They are so adorable together and play so well together. Buddy loves them. And they are doing so well in the house. Now I havent had them in for extremely long periods but so far not even one little dribble. I make sure I feed them outside and dont bring them in for at least an hour after that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
What work? Just stop looking for a home for Ziva and play dumb when he wants to know why no one seems to want her. LOL