I'm just so mad I could spit, right now.

Lothlorien

I've been sick for days. Just starting to get my voice back. Missy's been sick too. Needless to say, after doctor's visits and medicine, just for her, I've just spent 80 bucks. Never mind me. Never mind that she is a mess when she gets sick....rages, meltdowns, waking up in the middle of the night and the extreme in the opposite..the hyperactivity when she thinks she feels better, like running up and down the aisle in the store and dissappearing around the aisle, because she thinks it's funny. Can you tell I'm just pulling my hair out right now?

We are also dealing with the death of husband's grandmother. Funeral services are tonight, tomorrow and burial is Wednesday.

Just get home from picking up the prescriptions, one of which I can't even give her because it's blue!!! (For goodness sakes, I don't see the need for ROYAL BLUE medicine!!) Guess what she does.....She is deliberately breathing in easy child's face. I've repeatedly told her to stay away from this one and that one and him too. I just can't deal with another sick person right now. I absolutely have no time to bring him to the doctor.

So, just as I have the littlest inkling of a voice beginning....I'm screaming at her, because she's laughing at the whole situation! I tell her to go to her room and she refuses. I hate this! And now, my voice is gone again. When I'm not whispering, I sound like a stupid duck!

I'm so sorry you have to go through this i don't think there's any advice in the world that's gonna help if you even want to hear any of it i love you and i'm praying for you

Alisonlg

Oh hun! I'm so sorry! I feel the sickness pain! I'm on day 9 of my sickness and it's no fun. :::hugs::: It's hard enough to parent our difficult children, no mind being sick at the same time!

I hope you (and difficult child) feel better soon and that your easy child doesn't catch anything! :::hugs:::

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OH right now it is easy child who is sick and husband mumbling something about not feeling good. So far I am not having to deal with being sick myself. I feel for you right now. Hope you get your voice back (stop trying to yell it doesn't help). Then when it is really back you can let the lovely child have it. I mean tell her you love her.

Thinking of you.

Beth

Merfille

Awww, I am sorry :frown: You are really having a rough time. If we lived by each other, I would say send her over. She and my daughter both have BiPolar (BP) and are about the same age and they could be partners in crime for a day or night. Or they could just swim until they got too tired to be in the water anymore.

Can you put her in the bath for a while? A warm bath? With lots and lots of bubbles and toys? Then re-run some warm water in it so it doesn't get cool to quickly? Obviously something I have done - she might get loud singing or playing in there but at least she is not ON me or anyone else for a bit.

Sending well wishes to you guys and strength to get through the next few days.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh and I don't get the whole she isn't taking the medications because they are blue thing. Is she alergic to blue or is it a sensory thing? That one was new for me.

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Loth,

If IF YOU "never mind me" - then I will.

Get yourself some vitamin C. It's relatively cheap and take about 2500 mg a day of it. Drink plenty of water in between chasing M, and sorry about the colored pills - I can only say BIG DUH to the pharmacist.

The bubble bath idea sounded good too but I think it was spoken for the wrong person. I'd put M to bed, shut the door and take that bath MYSELF. I think you need it more than her.

I would also tell her that making her brother sick by breathing in his face was going to cost her (and I'd tell her what it's going to cost her) and not give it any more merit than that. When the time comes to take her (whatever) simply say in a soft and meaningful voice "This is your consequence for the choice you made when you breathed on your brother" emphasizing the words YOUR and CHOICE YOU MADE.

Hope you feel better - all of you. Take care of you!
Hugs
STar

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Loth

The vit C and lots of water is good sound advice.

There is nothing worse than difficult children when you're sick. I know I always hated getting sick because I could count on mine being their utter worst.

You could always try my Mom's remedy for when she couldn't yell. She'd sink her fingernails into the tender skin in our armpit just enough to get our attention. OUCH lmao

Do you think maybe the coloring for the medication might have to do with flavoring? Flavoring is usually added by the pharmacist. Maybe you could take it back and exchange it for a flavor that has another color?

I hope you feel better soon.

((hugs))

BestICan

This community rocks.
Yuck - looks like you're having the week I had a couple of weeks ago. Currently both of my kids are hyped up on bright red amoxicillin. difficult child is getting into a ton of trouble at school - it's SO obvious to me that the antibiotics are fueling his behavior problems this week but of course the root cause doesn't matter to the teachers who have to deal with him. They just want him to cut it out.

And, yep, I've watched my difficult child breathe into his brother's face. Between that, his not-so-stellar handwashing skills, and, as we call it, "lack of proper booger management," it's been one sickness after another this Fall.

I actually tried to fly my mother into town when I was sick. It didn't work out and instead I just let the kids have a ton of screen time. I wonder if you could just hire someone to hang out with the kids while they watch tv and you take a nap?

Sorry you're losing your voice again! My difficult child lost his voice for about 4 days and I won't lie - it was kind of nice.

Marguerite

A couple of things - in Australia (and I would have thought it was the same in the US and elsewhere) medications are strictly controlled and registered. part of the registration and documentation is giving the medication properties which will be unique to that product. For example, you can look it up (MIMS, for us) and read the identifying description. "It contained X and Y ingredients as active; inert contents are J and L. It is a round/square/rectangular pill//lozenge flavoured cherry/banana/no flavour and coloured with [give number and name]. It is marked on one side with the company logo and on the other side a half-score and a number corresponding to the number of mg in the dose."

For example, easy child as a baby couldn't have anything coloured with tartrazine (colour 102). She got thrush and was given a liquid form of nystatin which was described as being cherry flavoured, and coloured with tartrazine. It totally sent her loopy, and I complained tot he chemist about WHY did they have to colour a medicine intended for babies. That's when I learnt about the need to individually identify the drug by appearance, so using the guide book (FDA in the US; TGA in Australia) anything legitimate could be identified without the packaging being needed.

With easy child, we were unable to get a liquid nystatin from any other company - I had to get adult lozenges designed to be sucked - white, with spearmint flavour - and crush them up to a powder so I could give them to easy child. She hated it - but having her fight me at dosage time was better tan her in a screaming rage the whole time (as she was on the colouring).

See if you can get an equivalent product from another company - it should be sufficiently different so as to not infringe copyright and allow for individual identification.

And your loss of voice - when you have difficult children and you get laryngitis, get a whistle. It works really well.

Marg

SRL

I was thinking the bubble bath for mom too. Pour in the blue medicine for good measure! ;-)

Sick kids and deaths in the family are tough times for everyone, so take a deep breath, hang in there and this will pass. I am sorry to say that even my easy child son has been known to breathe on each other. Kids do gross things.

I hate it when my difficult child laughs when I'm upset like that. With him there's really nothing to do for it. I have to leave the room so I can regain perspective and control.

Lothlorien

I'm working on changing out the medications. Problem is with insurance co. (the jerks).

No bubble bath for her. She had one the night before, plus we had no time. Had to get ready for the wake. Stepmom came to watch them.

After the wake, husband and I went to a restaraunt, got an appetizer and a drink. We got to unwind like adults for an hour. It was good. We toasted his grandmother.

As far as getting their attention....I took a rubbermaid container and filled it with some loud clanking stuff. I shake it really hard and loud to get their attention. I'm thinking of doing it all the time. I can't yell over them when they are so loud, even with my normal voice.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sending healing thoughts your way, Loth! Definitely load up on the Vit C (I take Emergen-C packets, they are yummy and have minerals as well as vit c for energy). This will pass.

I love the bath idea, as that was often the only way to snap difficult child out of a meltdown when she was little. Even now, I will send her into the shower when I can see she's on the verge of a crying jag.

Glad you and H had an hour to chill.