I'm new... intro...

tycjcj

fighting for his rights
I am the mother of a 14 year old with adhd, conduct disorder, anxiety abd depression trying to keep my sanity through it all.. I also have four other children at home besides the 14 yr old. It is not always easy and I often get frustrated but I will never give up. I will be the voice he needs even when I don't know what to say. I often wonder if he is bipolar. Can anyone tell me some of the ways to tell if it is bipolar instead of adhd/conduct disorder? I jus tthink it is more than the adhd causing his mood swings and behavior problems.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
HI, and welcome :) Have you read "The Bipolar Child"? It helps define the aspects of early-onset bipolar, which can be very different in children compared to adult-onset bipolar.

I have an 11yo with adhd and mood disorder-not otherwise specified. Our psychiatrist won't call it bipolar until he's out of his teens, but the way he responded or actually stopped responding to his adhd medications last year is what led him to this diagnosis. He's much more stable than he was 6 months ago, but we're still ironing out some of the kinks.

I'm sure others will chime in with plenty of great advice :)

Marguerite

I cna't help with bipolar, but I CAN point you to an informal Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) test. You can't use it to diagnose, but you can print it out and show the doctor, to give him a summary of some of your concerns.

The test is found on www.childbrain.com. Look for the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) questionnaire. While you're doing it, if you're unsure about how to answer a question, there is a really good guide linked in.

Welcome. DO a sig when you can, so you don't have to keep repeating yourself in describing your kids. Saves typing cramp!

Marg