Im not being political...but OMG...SC gov really hoovered up!

klmno

He's now admitted that he used state funds but says he'll pay it back. This reminds me of difficult child- he'll make "honest" efforts after he gets caught- if he gets caught. The more I hear about it, the more I think he should get impeached.

DammitJanet

After actually reading his emails, I am feeling rather sorry for the man. Really. I can see exactly what happened and why and I think he tried to fight his urges. I think this could happen to anyone and it just wouldnt have been played out in front of millions on tv. I dont think he is quite the bad boy playboy he is being made out. I think his tears and tortured soul are for real.

DammitJanet

K...have you never been friends with someone for a significant period of time and that friendship is pretty deep and intense and at some point you notice that it might be a tad more than friendship? That there is some physical attraction there too? Even though you both know that you shouldnt act on it because of circumstances but you feel that pull and its so hard to deny it and maybe you find yourself in a time and place that you think...gosh...no one will ever know. We can do this just one time. We can see what it will be like...I love my friend.

I hate to say it but I have been there.

Doesnt mean I loved my partner any less. It just meant that I was weak at that moment and couldnt deny what I felt but yeah...afterwards I wanted to put the genie back in the bottle too.

klmno

**gulp**, **snort**, well, Uhmmmm, ok, yes, Janet. LOL! But, I didn't use public money and I didn't temporarily skip out from a public position. My probleem with him isn't that he committed adultry- that's between him and his wife. My problem is that he put let those urges take more importance than his responsibilities.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's the lineup -

Our governor is a thief and a cheat - (he says he'll pay back the money) well thank you Mr. Governor - but you don't get to rob a bank and then pay back the money - stealing is stealing.

Our former treasurer is a coke addict -

Our former comptroller - abused horses so badly they were taken from him and he was jailed for animal cruelty. I saw the horses - DEPLORABLE.

The senator that is pushing to have the governor impeached used to run naked on beer bets from the bar to the middle of the road.

The lieutennant governor - was late to a meeting and ran several red lights, was speeding 90mph down main streets in a 35mph zone and refused to pull over for blue lights.

The oldest senator Strom Thurmond who was once the biggest racist finally admitted to having an affair with a black woman which resulted in the birth of a mixed race daughter whom he only (before his death) acknowledged.

I mean - what the heck?

klmno

Wow, Star. I had no idea that people were having so much "fun" in your state. No wonder you want out of there.

muttmeister

My problem with him is not just that he did it and that he used public money and skipped out on his responsibilities; my BIGGEST problem with him is that he is a hypocrite. He was one of the most vocal critics when a certain President was accused of having an affair. He went on national TV and pontificated about the situation and how terrible it was. Then he did the same thing himself. I have no tolerance and no sympathy, because of that. I can understand having a weak moment. I can understand being stupid. But I can't put up with somebody who preaches one thing and then does what he is railing against.

DammitJanet

Yes...that is the bad part. I am livid at the man for the public part. Emotionally I am just so sorry for him. I think he got caught up in his emotions at a time he was weak. I think his emails show that.

DammitJanet

Mutt...he wasnt doing this then. I am willing to bet the farm he hates himself over doing this. I wouldnt be surprised if he commits suicide over this publicity. Its not like he has been doing this for the past two decades.

Im gonna stop commenting because I will get too political.

witzend

After actually reading his emails, I am feeling rather sorry for the man.

After reading the e-mails, I feel sorry for his wife. He didn't just fool around, he fell madly in love with another woman and called her "classy" and "elegant" after his wife had run his campaigns with her money for the past two decades. He quoted Corinthians 13 to this woman for crying out loud! How many of us had that read as part of our wedding vows? He probably did as well. The emails are worse than fooling around, he gave the most private and important part of his marriage to another woman. If he had only written the e-mails and not had an affair with her and he were my husband he'd be maggot food.

I don't know how the newspaper got ahold of the e-mails, but it would be wrong for them to not act on them at least as an investigative tool. That's what newspapers do. They should have published them in December, if their plan was to publish them. I think it was wrong of them to have held on to them for 6 months.

Lothlorien

I absolutely agree with you Witz. Love the part about the maggot food. I laughed out loud.

This has been a healthy discussion about a politician gone bad, but let me just remind everyone about keeping the politics out of it (which has been done, fairly well, so far). I've probably let this one go on too long, but for the sake of a healthy discussion, I've been letting it go. However, don't be surprised if I don't lock this (and the others) soon.

muttmeister

Mutt...he wasnt doing this then. I am willing to bet the farm he hates himself over doing this.

I don't think it matters if he was doing it then or not. There are the kinds of people who do what's right and there are the kind of people who don't.
I'm sick to death of people doing wrong and then saying they couldn't help it. That is a load of bovine manure.
I think we are doing a HUGE disservice to the many men out there who are faithful to their wives and keep their word (and there are a lot of them). I think we are doing a HUGE disservice to our sons - when we let guys get away with saying they had an affair when they didn't want to because they couldn't help it. Of course they could help it.
Your life is full of choices. We have all been tempted to do things that are not right. You can choose to do what is right or you can choose to do what is wrong. Nobody held a gun to his head.
I certainly don't come at this as some holier-than-thou kind of fanatic. I've pulled some real lulus in my life. Many of them have been ill-advised; a few of them have been immoral; a couple of them have been down right illegal. But I didn't do them because I couldn't help it. I knew they were wrong when I did them but I did them anyway.
Whatever happened to taking responsibility for what you've done wrong. At least have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and say, "What I did was wrong. It was my choice. Nobody made me do it but I did it anyway. Now I will face the consequences."

donna723

"He's now admitted that he used state funds but says he'll pay it back."

OK, as a State employee this part really ticks me off! I'm a HUGE believer that rules are rules and that they should apply as equally to the high and mighty as they do to the lowly peons like me. I work for the State of Tennessee, not South Carolina, but I'm sure those rules are the same in all states.

As a State employee, I could and would be fired immediately for using any type of State funds or State-owned equipment, property or supplies for my personal purposes. If I used a State vehicle to make our daily bank run and then went five miles further down the road on a personal errand, I would be in big trouble! If I took home a ream of paper or had the guys in the motor pool put even one gallon of State gas in my personal vehicle, I would be fired! Offering to pay the State back wouldn't cut it ... I would be long gone!

And this clown took a trip out of the country at state expense? What's wrong with this picture? If he gets away with this, every former State employee who was ever fired for making personal use of State equipment or State funds would have a very, very good case for getting their job back! It's a little harder to "fire" a governor than it is the rest of us, but what is a governor but a glorified state employee?

Marguerite

IN which case - open slather. Same with our blokes and the email controversy here. ALL our government emails are on file, even if they've been deleted. That is what has caused such a storm over here in the past week. In our case, it's the opposite - the PM was accused of having his office send an email asknig for preferential treatment for a mate of his, but it turns out the email was a fake and never sent officially. However, it was used to try to get him sacked, and now the people trying to use it to get him sacked are in danger of losing their own jobs and we have a major police enquiry happening. Of course, they COULD simply get on with running the country...

If your governor wrote emails to a mistress using a work email address via the official government server, then his judgement is clearly flawed. And if his judgement is so flawed - should he be the person you want running the state?

Or are the pickings so lean that he's the best choice still?

Marg

klmno

The two major points I've heard are 1) If any other state employee "disappeared" without telling anyone when they are supposed to, they would be fired immediately, and 2) he should never be president- we can't have a president who up and decides to leave the country and no one know where he is because lord knows what could happen and just WHO would be responsible for running the country if no one can find him and he hasn't delegated authority temporarily?

Marguerite

This is weird.

I was just reading through this thread to catch up on what had been posted since my last post (which was only about two posts after my first one, back on the first page) and I find my second post has MOVED - it is now so far to the end of this thread that it is now badly out of context.

THIS IS WEIRD!

I've never had that happen before...

But on the topic - I can understand feelnig sorry for the man, feeling sorry for his wife etc - but aside from whatever side of politics he is on, of whatver country or state - this is a person who was elected to hold public office. He is supposed to be able to be held to higher standards, to have enough sense and integrity to be able to manage affairs for a lot of people. If he gets caught up in this, in making so many stupid mistakes - then he has, in my opinion, just disqualified himself from being capable of holding high office.

If you want to hold high political office anywhere in the world, you have to be able to hold yourself on a tight leash so you can apply the same control to the job you're trying to do publicly.

If you are weak and distractible, sufficiently to do what he has done - then how can you ever accomplish what you were elected to do?

Yes, he is only human. So are we all. But when you aspire to public office, you have to be made of sterner stuff.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just wanted to let you know about the part about him taking the SLED car and disappearing. He is their boss like the president is to the SS. When he took the SLED car - all he had to do was walk in and say GIVE ME THE KEYS and they had to without question give him the car. THe part he was supposed to report to was to the lieutennant governor. SLED didn't do anything wrong. (on that day) lol. We just found that out on the news.
And as far as the emails I guess I'm changing my tune. ORiginally I thought emails should be kept private but the emails were sent on taxpayer funded computers - that doesn't make them private any longer so print away. But the State Newspaper SHOULD have printed them months ago. The only thing I can see is they wanted to give this guy enough rope to hang himself.

If you care to follow the story - google THE STATE NEWSPAPER.com
Its the first thing on the page EVERY day - :sick: